can seller cancel purchase on ebay

Hi
if you purchase on ebay and pay can the seller cancel the purchase or is it a binding contract?
He says he needs more money for the delivery, but on ebay listing it state free delivery and no mention of xtra charges to the Highlands
This is what the listing says after entering my postcode to check delivery cost

Free P&P United Kingdom Standard Delivery (Yodel 48) Estimated by Fri. 25 Oct. to IV232QY per eBay FAST & FREE

This is what the seller now says

Thanks for your purchase
We are sorry to inform you that it needs 20 pound as postage fee due to your post code" IV23 2QY" exists courier restrictions.

Can i not just "make" him send it?Is it not a legal binding contract as i have paid in good face of the listing and any errors he would need to cover? under consumer law?

Thanks

Thanks

Comments

• On eBay there is still the law, however you need to know what is best in the situation. If it's a private seller and you irritate them or get them into a corner, they can then click that they sent the item and then simply claim it got lost in the post. "force majeure"

You are better off keeping things amicable and understanding that mistakes happen. If they are a big seller, depending on how big, then they should know better as they will have come across the situation many times before and they can expect "relevant and factual" feedback from you in any case.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,067 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    The seller probably use the Ebay service to give an idea of postage and didn't know that there are areas in the UK that cost more. It isn't his fault that the couriers charge more, and he/she made a mistake.
    You cannot force him to send it. I made that mistake once and it cost me more to send than I sold the item for, I honoured the sale and learned a lesson to exclude highlands & islands next time.
    All you can really do is ask for a refund and move on with your life. You are then back in the position you were before the transaction
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    maisie_cat wrote: »
    The seller probably use the Ebay service to give an idea of postage and didn't know that there are areas in the UK that cost more. It isn't his fault that the couriers charge more, and he/she made a mistake.
    You cannot force him to send it. I made that mistake once and it cost me more to send than I sold the item for, I honoured the sale and learned a lesson to exclude highlands & islands next time.
    All you can really do is ask for a refund and move on with your life. You are then back in the position you were before the transaction

Whilst I agree mistakes happen, it certainly is the seller's fault.

OP, you cannot force the seller to send it. The best you can do is refuse any cancellation request (he can still do it) and leave appropriate feedback.
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,020 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    To be honest, I'd have some sympathy with the seller on this one. I'd possibly expect buyers who live there to be more likely to know its a likely issue.

Their fault technically but the knowledge that couriers charge extra whereas Royal Mail don't is easy to miss until you get such a postcode.

You can't force them to send - they can cancel for lack of stock etc if they have to and ride out the feedback.

I wonder if there is an alternative service such as Royal Mail which would be cheaper than £20 in this instance so you could achieve a compromise?
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Parcelforce will do it for about £10 from a Post Office (size/weight dependant of course)
    Thats direct before you shop around resellers/offers
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Negotiate for them to use a cheaper postage method?

You can demand what you like, but if their margins are slim or they cannot make less on it then you may not get the item.

Being polite and saying you didnt expect it to cost more and dont really wish to pay more, or the buy price was your upper limit.

Depends on how much you want this item and whether your willing to let it go and find another or pay a bit extra/compromise on delivery.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Tealblue
    Tealblue Posts: 929 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    You can't 'make' the seller send it. Annoying, yes - but these things happen and getting so steamed up about it won't do anything except make you feel worse. As someone has already suggested, ask if they can use a cheaper courier as you would be very disappointed not to receive the item you have just purchased on the terms they have shown in their listing. Hope it works for you.
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I've just had the same problem from a seller POV, I was sending via Hermes and it cost extra to send to the Isle of Man. I sent it and broke even but I was a bit peeved, they live there and must be aware it is going to cost the seller more.
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    FatVonD wrote: »
    I've just had the same problem from a seller POV, I was sending via Hermes and it cost extra to send to the Isle of Man. I sent it and broke even but I was a bit peeved, they live there and must be aware it is going to cost the seller more.

But you are the seller. It's not down to the buyer to point out things may cost more to post to them. What an odd thing to think.

You can set your eBay listings (assuming you sold it that way) to adjust postage for different destinations.
  • I disagree, sellers like i was myself need to take care with the listing, it is not good enough saying "you know it cost more", i pay for the item which includes the service, if seller does incorrect listing i am not getting the service i pay for. i checked postage calculator it it says free, other companies say xtra to pay, so if other company's can display the postage the fault lies with the seller.
    many company's including hermes and royal mail deliver for no xtra charge so it is no good saying i should know.
    i used to work in amusement and retail, say you pay on a fruit machine and you won money say £100, if the machine goes empty because of poor maintenance i still will have to pay you by law, but i say no i was to busy to maintain the machine you would not be happy and demand to be paid.
    Shoddy and lazy businesses practices are no excuse and the law is the law
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport