Paying off debt to freedom

Options

Comments

• enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    I have some experience of debt counselling and investing and would categorically advise against investing until you are debt free or debt neutral. There are no guarantees with investing, it is extremely unwise to sell when the market is in a dip so if you have a 0% deal expiring and the only way you can repay is to use investments then if the market is low you have consolidated any losses. Investing is not for the faint hearted, anyone in debt unless they have access to other funds or for the novice.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • camz2017
    Options
    Thanks all - at least we are all on the same page. Stupid expensive financial advisor people lol, glad I didn't pay for him. :D
    BC 0/15305.83 MBNA: 0/11231.16 TESCO 0/822.87 LOAN 0/4272.67
  • camz2017
    camz2017 Posts: 347 Forumite
    Options
    Currently broken down in the middle of nowhere in this useless car of mine. So upset as I had tried to save money from the car being fixed last month and I’ve a sneaky feeling this isn’t going to be repairable by the AA and is going to be another load of money. Can’t even refuse to pay as I’m stuck out here and I’m beyond the mile limit to be taken home so it’s nearest garage only.

Feel a bit like this is my bad karma for being a je*k lol.

Here we go anyway!
  • natsplatnat
    natsplatnat Posts: 3,033 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Hope the AA man arrives soon!! Car's eh? Money pits in their own right!
    start = Wed 19th Nov 2008 £21,225
    end = Mon 28th Sept 2015 DEBT FREE!
    I love a good plan - it may not work.... but I love a good plan!
  • camz2017
    Options
    Hope the AA man arrives soon!! Car's eh? Money pits in their own right!
    :( I"m not discussing how much it cost me - I'm too fragile right now to discuss. When he charged me, I used a south park quote, I said "do you have any cigarettes, because I like to have a smoke whilst I get f*ucked?" He just stared at me for a while :rotfl::rotfl: I was like no serious I need a smoke. Not smoked in like 3 months, had about 10 today.

Yes it's 3:39am - I just got home. I have a lovely 260 mile drive tomorrow planned and a fresh 8am start. Currently eating roses chocolates feeling sorry for myself.

The price these garages charge, I would love to do some messed up stuff to these people (well the cowboys anyway).

Looking at a cheaper rental in the morning anyway, need to figure my life out.
  • natsplatnat
    Options
    Ouch - that's a late finish... and an early start planned for today!! Did you get up in time (I would still be snoozing now!!)
    Do you have an emergency fund or plans to build one? This would be a prime example of why everyone should have one!
    Hope you have a successful days driving today! :)
  • camz2017
    Options
    Got up on time but was moody as hell for the first few hours. I told a woman she was a pampered princess because she was having a hissy fit queuing behind me. That didn’t turn out well lol.

I’ve asked to move in the cheaper flat, it’s around £250 less a month than here, the rooms super super small but the flat is lovely and the guys seem wicked who I’d be living with. The guy living there got back to me and said they really liked me and he will send over all the details to make it happen.

The rental doesn’t overlap with her so no extra to pay, and then I’ve got myself a nice bit of extra cash to create an emergency fund!

I do have emergency funds in YNAB but only started in last month so I have £40 for the car in there only lol.

My cars gone back into repair today as it still had issues so I’ve had to drive out to middle of nowhere again to get that dealt with. Fun times. I’m hoping this is the last of the car issues, something you may or may not agree with, I got them to do a full service and got him down to £50 for it given all the other work being done. I just wanted some assurance it was going to run for a few more months!
  • camz2017
    Options
    Excuse my typing above - on mobile!
  • natsplatnat
    natsplatnat Posts: 3,033 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Fab news! That's like a £250 a month payrise, and definitely falls into the "make your money work for you" remit! You'll have that emergency fund up and running in no time.

Boo to the car still having issues. I think getting it serviced was a good idea - well, you were there so why not!?

Hope your mood has improved? Have a great (car trouble free) weekend! :)
  • EscapingTheAlarm
    Options
    I'm really sorry about your car! I hope it doesn't set you back too much...
    Well done on finding a cheaper flat though. What a difference £250 can make!
    I think you're doing a great job - Have you worked out how much you have paid off so far?
    ETA x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport