Tesco Savings DDs

Options

Comments

• AirlieBird
    AirlieBird Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    Options
    ColdIron wrote: »
    Ello Miss, I wish to register a complaint

Now that the DD facility has gone I've noticed that my list of payees on my savings accounts now only include the ones I had DDs set up for and all the others (that continue to be listed on my current accounts) are missing. I don't think this has anything to do with changes to named linked accounts as they were all in my name and I can add them back again, but it's going to be a pain as I have 21 of them. One of the nice things about Tesco was that there was a common list of payees shared across accounts

/Grumble over

Had you set them up as a linked account or just as a payee? If they didn't have a DD authorisation in place they wouldn't have been a linked account and will have been removed whether in your name or not.
    Did you really mean to put loose?
    Lose: no longer possess, not to retain, unable to find
    Loose: not firmly or tightly fixed in place
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,287 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    2e0arr wrote: »
    Thank you now theres a thought. it was 2 transaction and one was made without a pin entered correctly. The question is the £1 was notified but never taken. The complaint to Tesco has been in about 4 working days no response yet
    A hold is not a transaction. It is also not Tesco who you should be complaining to, but the petrol station and/or Visa/Mastercard. Temporary holds are a feature of all credit/debit cards, including prepaid cards.
  • jevoudrais
    jevoudrais Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    can you use a prepaid debit card on self service petrol now please ?
  • 2e0arr
    2e0arr Posts: 1,007 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jevoudrais wrote: »
    can you use a prepaid debit card on self service petrol now please ?
    I think on the visa debit cards for sale in morrisons it says you cannot use them for petrol. So i think the answer is no
  • AirlieBird
    AirlieBird Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    Options
    What KTF said.
    KTF wrote: »
    What has that got to do with Tesco withdrawing the DD function from their savings accounts?
    Did you really mean to put loose?
    Lose: no longer possess, not to retain, unable to find
    Loose: not firmly or tightly fixed in place
  • Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,245 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    pafpcg wrote: »
    I've checked the bank accounts from which my Tesco direct debits used to extract funds to see whether the DDs were still active.

Santander123 accounts no longer list the Tesco DDs...

This may cause the loss of the current statement month's interest for those who needed the Tesco DD and have no alternative in place.

I believe Santander's method is to check the number of active DDs present on the account on the statement date. It doesn't matter that you used a Tesco DD in the current month; if it's no longer on the list it doesn't qualify.
  • LankyMoneySaver
    Options
    First I'd heard of this when I stumbled here via Google.

Has everyone been notified by letter? If so was it hidden in a general changing T&Cs that I've missed, or a letter that clearly stated they're withdrawing the DD facility? Either way I don't remember having anything about the change.

I even set up two new DDs to my Tesco savings a few weeks ago, had letters confirming they had both been set up, and they were showing on the respective accounts. However checking today they have been cancelled (which is why I was googling Tesco DDs to see if it was a known issue). It's one thing to remove the facility but I'm a bit miffed they didn't warn me when setting new ones up, within days of the facility being removed, and meaning they'd never take a single payment on them.

I also had lots already set up on different accounts so I'm going to have to go through them all today and try and make sure I still meet any DD requirements.

I've not had a chance to read the whole way through this thread yet so apologies if it's already covered earlier but has anyone found any good alternatives to Tesco for this?
    Obviously I could move actual bill DDs across to the accounts but for simplicity I prefer having them all on my main current account (where lots of them then earn cashback).
    Charity DDs are another which I already have for some but for some reward accounts it's no longer worth it once you take off the £2/month (2*£1 DDs) to charity, unless your're particularly altruistic.
    Chris
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,287 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    First I'd heard of this when I stumbled here via Google.

Has everyone been notified by letter? If so was it hidden in a general changing T&Cs that I've missed, or a letter that clearly stated they're withdrawing the DD facility? Either way I don't remember having anything about the change.
    It was part of a general set of changes. I was notified by post and the change was clear enough if you read through the summary of the changes. I didn't spot it initially and was alerted about it from here.

Personally I had a couple of dormant credit cards that I am now making a small purchase on each month. That and the use of Paypal for a monthly subscription have seen me through.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I've not had a chance to read the whole way through this thread yet so apologies if it's already covered earlier but has anyone found any good alternatives to Tesco for this?
    When the Tesco decision was announced last October, many folk were asking exactly the same question, and so this thread was created to answer it: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5734632
  • LankyMoneySaver
    Options
    masonic wrote: »
    It was part of a general set of changes. I was notified by post and the change was clear enough if you read through the summary of the changes. I didn't spot it initially and was alerted about it from here.

Personally I had a couple of dormant credit cards that I am now making a small purchase on each month. That and the use of Paypal for a monthly subscription have seen me through.

I'm looking at the PayPal DD option but have seen this post saying they stopped offering it:https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/has-paypal-stopped-allowing-direct-debit-top-ups-2781027
    , and some others on here saying it might still work through the app but I couldn't see an option.

How did you set yours up?
    Chris
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family