New Woodburning Stove

Options
We have a fireplace and have been burning coal/logs for about 50 years but now the i think you call them cheeks( its the sort of liner that goes between the fire and the outside brickwork) has started to crack and fall out. what i was thinking was to knock the rest of the liner out and put in a woodburning stove.
what i just need to know is that would i have to put the chimney of the stove all the way up the chimney or can i get away with about 6ft.
I hope that makes sense :)

Comments

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 17 October 2017 at 1:07PM
    Options
    Have a read of this and it should tell you most of what you need to know including the regulations. You dont want to end up killing yourself with Carbon Monoxide poisioning
    http://www.stovefittersmanual.co.uk/

The main problem I can see with your proposal, assuming that it's legal is that condensation is likely to run down between the pipe and the chimny proper.

If your chimney is OK (and I strongly recommend that you got it checked by a competent person to make sure) you should just have to poke the boiler flue through a register plate, which seals it to the chimny and from the room.

You'd have to do it in accordance with building regs and have it signed off by a builing inspector if you did it yourself whereas a HETAS registerd installer can certify it all himself.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    We have a fireplace and have been burning coal/logs for about 50 years but now the i think you call them cheeks( its the sort of liner that goes between the fire and the outside brickwork) has started to crack and fall out. what i was thinking was to knock the rest of the liner out and put in a woodburning stove.

That would be a clay fireback - Cracking is quite common and they are fairly inexpensive, although replacement is not and it is a messy job.

I would suggest getting a HETAS engineer in to install & commission a stove, but you can do the grunt work of removal and prep to keep costs down. The installer would be able to advise on the most suitable liner as well as completing all the paperwork.

Once you have a stove fitted (as long as it is an appropriate rating for the room size), I think you'll be pleased with the difference it makes - Coming up to the second winter with mine, and I wish it was something that done years ago.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 October 2017 at 6:22AM
    Options
    matelodave wrote: »
    The main problem I can see with your proposal, assuming that it's legal is that condensation is likely to run down between the pipe and the chimny proper.

We have what sounds like the OP is proposing with an antique stove in an inglenook fireplace. A short length of stovepipe opens into the original flue (via a sealed register plate).

There may be reasons peculiar to our installation but we haven't had any condensation issues.

I've also no idea whether it meets current building regs or not. It works well enough.
  • 2Tired2Tango_2
    Options
    Yes the clay fireback looks like the thing thats in there at the moment,. to replace it i would need to remove the hearth and it weighs a ton as it is not a small one. im just looking for the simplest and cheapest solution (money is tight) so thought about knocking the clay fireback out and just shoving something like this in the space
    xxxxxx.woodburnerworld.co.uk/kresnik-multifuel-woodburning-stove-45kw-13612-401468
    and putting a chimney on top that goes about 5-6ft up the chimney. then just remove it every six months ish to sweep the chimney.
    Do i actually need building regs to do this as its a detached house and we have been burning coal in that fireplace for over 50 years without any problems

anyways that was the plan i just want to double check that it will be safe in doing that
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,331 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    https://www.woodburnerworld.co.uk/kresnik-multifuel-woodburning-stove-45kw-13612-401468

You need to get a seal between the flue leaving the burner and the chimney. Just shoving a few feet of pipe up the chimney isn't safe if you ever get a downdraught.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Do i actually need building regs to do this as its a detached house and we have been burning coal in that fireplace for over 50 years without any problems

Yes, you will need to comply with building regulations and the work needs to be signed off by building control or a self certifying installer. Failure to do so could result in you being prosecuted and also voiding your house insurance.

If the job isn't done properly, there is a very real chance that carbon monoxide (that is CO) venting in to the room - CO poisoning is a silent, odourless killer.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • silverwhistle
    Options
    Yes, you really should get it lined which will add to the efficiency of the stove as well as complying with safety regs which are there for a good reason. It's a bit of expense but you'll be saving on fuel.

Whatever you do you'll need a CO monitor. Again I believe it's now a legal requirement but I've got two anyway, one in my bedroom above the room with the fire.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure