Ebay purchase, defect not described, threatened with Police & Court

Options
Hi to everyone,

I have recently made a purchase of a computer LCD screen.

It was bought from a private seller not the company.

Was described as used but totally like new, perfect example etc.

Monitor has a dead pixel and it is 2 years old. The dead pixel is nearly right in the middle of the screen, which is distracting.

I wouldn't be fuss about it but it cost me £500.
I ve proposed that I can send it back and let him sell to anyone else.

He threatened me with Court and Police for fraud that I am making.

Is there anything that I can do? Or just be an !!!!!!! and sell it to some other noob describing like new, immaculate and let him deal with it (not serious here)

Comments

• Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just open a case for SNAD.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,306 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Brynsam wrote: »
    Just open a case for SNAD.

I concur, don't over think this. Just open an SNAD and wait for a label to send it back.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Aze007
    Aze007 Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    I have opened eBay return process and now seller respond to it as he will report me to online crime and police first thing tomorrow morning. It was bought from a private seller. I dont really want to mess my self up. I ve Just bought a screen and there Is a stuck pixel. I honestly thought that i can friendly resolve it.
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,027 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Aze007 wrote: »
    I have opened eBay return process and now seller respond to it as he will report me to online crime and police first thing tomorrow morning. It was bought from a private seller. I dont really want to mess my self up. I ve Just bought a screen and there Is a stuck pixel. I honestly thought that i can friendly resolve it.
    Keep all the messages in an email folder for future reference. Return the item with correct tracking and insurance. Before that take pictures of the fault, if you can.
    Contact Ebay noting the threats from the seller.
    As far as communicating with the seller goes refrain from doing so, unless they ask for tracking details or anything else to do with the return.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    If/when you send the screen back, make sure that you pick a courier that will accept liability for fragile glass items and also make sure that you pack it extremely well.
    The last thing you need if for your seller to claim that it was received back in a damaged condition due to insufficient or poor packaging.
  • Aze007
    Options
    Seller states that one dead pixel Is not a fault as it Is common thing with modern screens and that it Is Within some ISO standard but if I d have known that there is a dead pixel I wouldn't buy it. :/
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    With only one stuck pixel the screen meets the ISO standard so would not be considered faulty
  • Aze007
    Options
    So can u basically sell monitor with dead pixel w/o mentioning it and you are ok and on law
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,306 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Aze007 wrote: »
    So can u basically sell monitor with dead pixel w/o mentioning it and you are ok and on law

Yes if it is within tolerance levels.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    unforeseen wrote: »
    With only one stuck pixel the screen meets the ISO standard so would not be considered faulty

There are 4 different grades of display an the top one (I think it's class 1) doesn't allow for any dead pixels at all.
    Irrespective of this, if the seller described the display as a "perfect example" despite there being a dead pixel right in the middle of the screen, I don't see why a SNAD shouldn't be successful as with even a single faulty pixel, the screen can't be called perfect.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure