Buying an iphone in Hong Kong

Options

Comments

• bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    malkie76 wrote: »
    Thank you for conceding my point by not directly answering my very simple question.

I have, yo don't appear able to understand the world world, I'll leave you to it.

Oh, and voluntary payment of national insurance is anther example.
  • stoneman
    stoneman Posts: 4,521 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Nevertheless this website tends to take a dim view on methods of tax evasion.
    Funny that, but it positively encourages people to use every loophole available when it comes to shopping.
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
  • uknick
    uknick Posts: 1,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    OP

Probably won't be an issue buying in Hong Kong, but you might want to check which apps come installed on the phone. For example, Facetime is not on iPhones sourced from many middle eastern countries. And, it can't be installed later.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    bigadaj wrote: »
    I have, yo don't appear able to understand the world world, I'll leave you to it.

Oh, and voluntary payment of national insurance is anther example.
    What does that have to do with tax that is legally owed?
    The clue is in the word "voluntary".
    I'm not legally required to pay NI as I'm currently non resident in the UK but I have opted to pay in order to ensure that my state pension will be paid out in full when I retire. (assuming that the UK hasn't gone bankrupt before then).
    Taxes, whether income tax, fuel tax or VAT, if owed are not voluntary.
    Nevertheless this website tends to take a dim view on methods of tax evasion.
    stoneman wrote: »
    Funny that, but it positively encourages people to use every loophole available when it comes to shopping.
    If those loopholes are legal, what's wrong with advising or encouraging people to take advantage of them?
  • malkie76
    malkie76 Posts: 6,170 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Loopholes (avoidance) are legal, tax evasion is not. That was the point I was making.
    Legal team on standby
  • stoneman
    Options

If those loopholes are legal, what's wrong with advising or encouraging people to take advantage of them?
    Because some of the loopholes advised on this site are near to being fraudulant, which is illegal, and not in the spirit of things to boot.
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    stoneman wrote: »
    Because some of the loopholes advised on this site are near to being fraudulant, which is illegal, and not in the spirit of things to boot.
    Well, if a loophole is "near to being fraudulent", this must mean that it is not actually fraudulent, hence that loophole is probably perfectly legal.

As to the spirit of things.
    Provided that taxes are saved in accordance with the law, "the spirit" (or morality) shouldn't factor into money saving.
  • stoneman
    Options
    Well, if a loophole is "near to being fraudulent", this must mean that it is not actually fraudulent, hence that loophole is probably perfectly legal.

As to the spirit of things.
    Provided that taxes are saved in accordance with the law, "the spirit" (or morality) shouldn't factor into money saving.
    Sorry I should have said "are fraudulent" not near to.

Using multiple email addresses and being encouraged to make up family members to maximise a loophole is fraud, hence illegal.

I have done it in the past and I would bet that the majority on this site have done the same. So I'm not painting myself as virtuous but the hypocrisy that goes on is astounding.

But that dissuasion is for another time :D
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    bigadaj wrote: »
    But certainly not avoidance.
    Not declaring a personal import that is above the threshold is evasion. No shades of grey, no interpretation, it is evasion.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • bestyman
    bestyman Posts: 1,115 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Back from Hong Kong and Thailand Holiday so thought would let you know how it went on and in case anyone else is thinking of buying there .
    We went to Apple shop in HK and they said you need to reserve on the morning, try 8 am and only a few a day. They are £700- £750 there.

At 8 we were up anyhow (jet lag) and had iphones and ipads set up ready to log on and buy.

We managed to reserve one and were very happy but think we were counting the chickens too soon.
    Next question was please enter HK mobile number within 30 minutes. We were using Three UK which was no good. I ran to reception in my PJs trying to explain to the receptionist that could I borrow his phone. He didn't speak good English ( or so he said).

The following day we bought a HK PAYG SIM, logged on to Apple shop again and this time didn't get through to reserve one.

Following day we fly early to Bangkok so gave it us as a bad job. In Thailand only £70 cheaper than UK so didn't bother
    On the internet you can be anything you want.It`s strange so many people choose to be rude and stupid.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure