PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Redundancy

Options

Comments

• LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Excellent news tori.k.

Hoping for similar good news for everyone else hit with reundancies.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • chirpychick
    chirpychick Posts: 1,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Tori, congrats to you and your family.
    Sorry I haven’t been online, with half term and hospital appointments it has been quite manic here.
    Hubby left on Tuesday, he’s had so many interviews and awaiting feedback, he has more interviews next week.
    We are applying for benefits today. Have tried to look into what we are entitled to, hubby feels quite stressed applying but I’m trying to explain he’s 52 and worked his whole life, he has been made redundant that is what it’s there for.
    At the moment i feel quite calm. Not too worried as he seems to get phone calls from agencies and possible employers a few times a day.

I will keep you updated :D
    Everything is always better after a cup of tea
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 3 November 2017 at 9:16AM
    Options
    Tori, congrats to you and your family.
    Sorry I haven’t been online, with half term and hospital appointments it has been quite manic here.
    Hubby left on Tuesday, he’s had so many interviews and awaiting feedback, he has more interviews next week.
    We are applying for benefits today. Have tried to look into what we are entitled to, hubby feels quite stressed applying but I’m trying to explain he’s 52 and worked his whole life, he has been made redundant that is what it’s there for.
    At the moment i feel quite calm. Not too worried as he seems to get phone calls from agencies and possible employers a few times a day.

I will keep you updated :D

You have exactly the right attitude. He has contributed to society, now it’s time for society to help. In the meantime, I’ll keep my fingers crossed for him.

Hopefully your husband will have a better experience at the job centre than I did. I found the place quite disorganised - they no longer have a receptionist, you give your paperwork to one-of-many lurking security guards who are meant to direct you to the right queue - and quite depressing. It wasn’t the employees exactly, they were trying their best, it was the general air of lack of hope.
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • chirpychick
    Options
    Hey!
    Im with hubby in the library - he's making some amendments to his CV on the library computer as we don't have a proper computer at home. So that meant I could get on a proper computer for the first time in so long and I'm loving it!! Note to self: when hubby has a job, save for a computer!

We went to CAB this morning for some advice. They were really helpful, I was surprised about how many people were actually in there though!
    Hubby had tried to apply for JSA yesterday but the website wasn't working and then when he phoned they said they'd call back but they haven't yet, which is quite frustrating. We obviously do have a little money to keep us ticking over for a short time but for people who don't, how on earth do they cope if they cant even apply for the benefits they are entitled to?

Hubby has 2 interviews and a telephone interview next week.

We have yet to put our heating on at home and we're starting to feel it a bit, it is super warm in the library. I know where I'll be spending a bit more of my time!
    Although, I have OCD (which is particularly bad at the moment) and everyone coughing and spluttering around me, is freaking me out a bit.

Anyway, i'm off to hunt out some books for me and pickle to get our mitts stuck in to.

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend.
    Love chirps
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Mr LW was exactly the same; but it's not like you're not trying - he's been put in this position from no fault of his own, and he is entitled to state help, having paid into the system via his tax and NI all those years. I had to get quite stern about it, as I recall. :o
    Hubby has 2 interviews and a telephone interview next week.
    Mr LW and I both have everything crossed - I remember Mr LW doing a telephone interview whilst we were sitting in Wethersp00ns; the chap had called to make an appointment for it, and ended up doing the interview there and then! And Mr LW got the position. :D So I hope it goes as smoothly for your DH.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,565 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 November 2017 at 9:56AM
    Options
    Chance glance, cc, so a couple of little points:

Use Martin's benefits calculator, not just cab's help.

Make sure you and oh both have a My Waitrose card. I haggle nicely, happily, in the emporium:-), enjoy my free cappuccino in my own CS travel cup, etc.etc. Yeast is free at MrT - little pickle may love hands in+on own brioche/ bread making. Easy peasy and good exercise for all hands. No bread machine needed, just bowl, flour, salt, lard/butter/oil, yeast, water. Add what you have, what you like, experiment. Freeze your cooled sliced loaves.

Someone early on spoke of PAYG mob, 'if you don't need' t'internet.
    I wouldn't touch contracts with a bargepole. PAYG+multi-mb bundles work well for me and I can never use all the free extras that come along. Do investigate.

The joy of the hot water bottle is everyone's.

So glad to see you are Library fans. Vital service, but that's my politics too:-)

I play MrT and Waitrose off against each other, to my benefit. Emporium Essentials range can undercut MrT. Use mysupermarket.co.uk to pricecheck. Do you really need deodorant?

The maxim that it's all a great game is perfect.
    You have done so well to clear your previous debt. This is your launchpad to greater things, a mindset opportunity, too, for you AND husband.

Every best wish:-)
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• chirpychick
    Options
    Hey everyone,
    Hubby’s job interview seemed to go well this morning, he really wants this position, so please keep your fingers crossed for him :)

I have spent all afternoon applying for a job I saw advertised as well. I’ve no idea what the hours would be as there was nothing in the advertisement. I didn’t even have my CV done as I was waiting a little bit to see what happened with hubby, but this job just seemed perfect, so I used the Reed website CV builder and did that and then applied. I’m really hoping it works out as it would be a great opportunity for me.
    So please keep your fingers crossed for me also!

Hubbys telephone interview didn’t go as well, he said they seemed like they’d already decided on a candidate.
    He has another interview Wednesday.

We have such a lot going on this week, pickle has physio and blood tests, the dog has booster jabs, I have a coffee morning with friends at my house as well.

Our budget seems to be lasting well enough but it is getting a bit low, so I’ve been spending lots of time on old threads looking into cheap recipes and old style tips for money saving.

I’m finding it quite amusing, when hubby was at work he used to comment on me moaning about the house being cold, he is moaning constantly, i pointed out how he never cares when he’s in his nice warm office hahahaha
    We have avoided the heating so far, even bonfire night when my dad came over, we all came in from the cold which made the house seem much warmer lol.

We’re also now sharing baths which I’d have previously though gros (but I’m trying to be first in lol)

Pickle was on school dinners as they were free but he just wasn’t eating at all so he’s back on packed lunches. But we discovered he wasn’t drinking his milk at all once we stopped sending cartons and putting it in a bottle we could see exactly how much he’d been wasting, so we decided to just send water instead. So that’s saving quite a bit, he’s getting plenty of calcium in other ways.

We are only using the car when absolutely necessary as well.

If anyone can recommend any threads or any other tips that would be great
  • chirpychick
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    What a week we had!
    I have to tell you, we finally caved on the heating on Thursday when a friend was coming for coffee and its pretty much stayed on since haha

Hubby heard nothing back from the interviews last week, but we have found that these companies tend to take their time.

He did however receive a job offer from a very good, well known company, he didn’t really expect to get an offer as the interview was so gruelling. Put it this way in his industry if you get a job with this company you know you’re good at what you do ;)

So the offer came Thursday, its 1,000 a year less than what he was on however it’s 90 miles away so they’re also offering him a fairly substantial relocation package :eek::eek:

Until Saturday I’d never been to that area of the country at all.
    We took a day trip, didn’t like the city (I’m not a city person) but found a lovely little market town we fell in love with.

So we are just waiting for the start date and then hubby will start off working there during the week and coming home weekends and when we have sold and found somewhere we will all move :eek::eek:

I’m freaking out somewhat! But it is his dream to work for this company so ....

We should be able to get a bigger house for the same money (our house is tiny!!) and should be able to give pickle a better upbringing. I dont think the services for his additional needs are as good but what happens with most of his therapies is that they show you and then you do it at home so i feel trained anyway LOL we would also have the space to do a lot of therapies at home and have equipment we dont have now. Maybe the waiting lists might be shorter also. The schools are better and there is a special school nearby if it turns out he needs that (having huge problems at school right now). So it does seem very positive... our family though are not happy at all!!! And I’m very scared but its a good opportunity there are bonus’s and opportunities for career progression etc too.
  • pandamonium
    Options
    Congratulations Chirpy and Mr Chirpy. What a wonderful opportunity. Isn't if funny how what you think is a really bad situation turns out in such a positive way? I probably didn't put that very well but I'm sure you get what I mean ;).
  • johnpope
    Options
    You should be chosen for repetition decently, for instance as a result of your level of involvement or ability to carry out the activity.

You can't be chosen in light of age, sexual orientation, or in case you're incapacitated or pregnant. On the off chance that you are, this could be classed as an unjustifiable rejection.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure