3D barcode shows delivered on RM site but not ebay.... not received case?

Options
I sold an item last week and the day after dispatch the buyer emailed me to say "someone had hacked into his ebay account and changed the address on his account, so it has gone to the wrong address, so he needs his money back".

I explained it had already been sent to the address provided, but he has now opened a not received case withe the comment "sent to wrong address - i want my money back".

Anyway the item wasn't of a high value so wasn't sent signed for, but when I put the reference number into the RM site it says delivered to the postcode in question on the 9th October.

Will this reference number be enough to win a not received case? Or does it need to be the signed for service?

I've logged it against the sales record, but then when i look at it in ebay it just says "info received" and hasn't updated to delivered yet.

Thank you

Lottie

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,310 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    19lottie82 wrote: »
    I sold an item last week and the day after dispatch the buyer emailed me to say "someone had hacked into his ebay account and changed the address on his account, so it has gone to the wrong address, so he needs his money back".

I explained it had already been sent to the address provided, but he has now opened a not received case withe the comment "sent to wrong address - i want my money back".

Anyway the item wasn't of a high value so wasn't sent signed for, but when I put the reference number into the RM site it says delivered to the postcode in question on the 9th October.

Will this reference number be enough to win a not received case? Or does it need to be the signed for service?

I've logged it against the sales record, but then when i look at it in ebay it just says "info received" and hasn't updated to delivered yet.

Thank you

Lottie

I have already won 2 INR claims with just the standard RM parcel proof of delivery numbers. Make sure you add it to the ebay sale under tracking details and once it clicks through on ebay to show delivered phone ebay and ask them to close the case in your favour.

Once you have the case closed you can then assist the buyer- but protect your own account first (this is what sellers have been forced into on ebay)!. Tell buyer that they need to take this up with ebay and also look into their own security, be polite, but really it isn't your fault that a buyer can't keep their details safe,nor is it really eBay's fault either as they warn often enough about secure passwords and phishing scams. One word of warning, the buyer might try a claim for 'fraudulent use of a card' and that can occur up to 6 months after sale, so keep your proof of posting plus screen grabs of everything to defend that if it is opened.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • 19lottie82
    19lottie82 Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Soolin - Thanks for the response,

I think the buyer is telling porkies and just forgot to change the address from a previous order, especially as the surname on the address is the same as his (looking at his username!), but oddly enough he claims not to know them. Also, he only used the "my account has been hacked line" when I made it clear I couldn't get the parcel back, it had been dispatched to the address accompanying the PP payment.

When they got in touch i did actually advise them they should contact their credit card company / paypal to instruct a chargeback if they didn't authorise the transaction to that address, but they've just ignored me and opened a not received.

As I explained, the royal mail site shows the package as being delivered 4 days ago, but when I look at the ebay order, it just says info received, not even "in transit" ..... is this normal? And I'm concerned obviously I wont win a INR until it updates at ebays end.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have won INR on the 2d barcode. You do not need a signature under £750. We send 2d, RMT and other carriers. We send thousands a week and I really can't recall the last case we lost.

Make sure you add the barcode to the order and also to the case.

Ring on day 8 and escalate. Block the buyer in the meantime.

As per soonlin's post, protect your account and then help the buyer, but in honesty it does sound like they fessed up.

The eBay status isn't relevant for cases, the CS rep will track the actual proof of delivery, so don't worry it hasn't updated.
  • 19lottie82
    Options
    That's good to know, thank you.
    The buyer is relatively new to eBay (fb of 6), so I'm pretty sure he isn't too clued up on how ebay actually works.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It certainly sounds like his missed his checkout address - it happens. But it isn't your fault.
  • 19lottie82
    Options
    It certainly sounds like his missed his checkout address - it happens. But it isn't your fault.

That's what it looks like! He must think I'm a bit daft, as the surname is the same, but he claimed not to know the person and his "account must have been hacked", when I suggested he contact them to ask them to forward the item on to him :rotfl:
  • soolin
    Options
    I have won INR on the 2d barcode. You do not need a signature under £750. We send 2d, RMT and other carriers. We send thousands a week and I really can't recall the last case we lost.

Make sure you add the barcode to the order and also to the case.

Ring on day 8 and escalate. Block the buyer in the meantime.

As per soonlin's post, protect your account and then help the buyer, but in honesty it does sound like they fessed up.

The eBay status isn't relevant for cases, the CS rep will track the actual proof of delivery, so don't worry it hasn't updated.

If there is an ebay glitch which means the delivery isn't showing then re add the number to the dispute and try again - I find there is a lag of about 24 hours (enough to give sellers a defect for a late) but 4 days is a bit of a worry.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • 19lottie82
    Options
    I'm on live chat at the moment and they have confirmed the item has been delivered, so fingers crossed it they will close the case in my favour just now.
  • 19lottie82
    Options
    Yes, they've closed it in my favour. Thanks for the advice, Soolin and TOWIU
  • soolin
    Options
    19lottie82 wrote: »
    Yes, they've closed it in my favour. Thanks for the advice, Soolin and TOWIU

Brilliant well done. that also has the advantage that buyer can't now leave feedback.

Now just wait for the claim for fraudulent use to be made - and if unsure how to defend that come back and ask as it is easy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure