Vegan Shopping Best Buys

Options

Comments

• kacie
    kacie Posts: 901 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    What foods that are big brand have vegan options or are vegan?

Like Oreos
  • rawr_
    rawr_ Posts: 190 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I won, I won, I won!
    Options
    Loz01 wrote: »
    Ooh I really want to get to Tesco and try some of the range! It looks good.

A REALLY nice ready meal I found was Asda spaghetti and veggie meatballs in arrabiata sauce -

https://groceries.asda.com/product/vegetarian/asda-vegetarian-spaghetti-veggie-balls/910003033488

Probably cheaper and easier I know to make your own :D but as a ready meal now and again it was bloody lovely!

That's the thing though - the ready meals you wouldn't eat all the time, but it's good to have a quick option for when you haven't got the time. I've now tried the BBQ Butternut Mac, and the BBQ Mushroom pizza - I think my pizza was the favourite of the two, but the pasta was pretty good too! Looking forward to trying a different one another week! :)
    Biggest Comp Wins: Tour of Vietnam 2015 | Baby Rawr_ was born 16/03/20!
  • savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    rawr_ wrote: »
    Ha I've seen that isn't it amazing?! :rotfl: I tried the 'BBQ Butternut Mac' one last night, was nice :) maybe nothing hugely special, but could to have the option for a ready meal on those nights I really can't be bothered to cook!
    Oh yessss, now looking at seeing it for a 4th time! :eek::rotfl:

Well I was a tiny bit naughty and included some in my online shop this week, got the thai curry ready meal one for those days when I'm only cooking for me. And then got the carrot pastrami as I was looking into carrot bacon and fake salmon over Christmas, but didn't have time to make any of it - so that will be lunch tomorrow ;)
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • savvy
    Options
    kacie wrote: »

Like Oreos
    Hi kacie, you mean like acidentally vegan? If you want a comprehensive list that is updated regularly as manufacturers do like to change ingredients from time to time, then I suggest you mooch around on the Vegan Womble sites ;)
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • Loz01
    Loz01 Posts: 1,848 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    kacie wrote: »

Like Oreos

Fox's party rings, Mcvities chop chip hobnobs, Oat crumbles, most bourbon biscuits (not Aldi though), Haribo rainbow twists, Skittles and Starburst, Polos, Millions! And probably more.

In other news, I tried one of the Wicked Kitchen items from Tesco, the pizza and it was bloody lovely and SO NICE to have pizza as I haven't had it for ages! I also bought the pasta and meatballs one, but as I dont like mushrooms I didnt get any of the others. Great if you do love mushrooms though!! Is it going to be a permanent range or not?
  • rawr_
    Options
    Fox's party rings, Mcvities chop chip hobnobs, Oat crumbles, most bourbon biscuits (not Aldi though), Haribo rainbow twists, Skittles and Starburst, Polos, Millions! And probably more.

In other news, I tried one of the Wicked Kitchen items from Tesco, the pizza and it was bloody lovely and SO NICE to have pizza as I haven't had it for ages! I also bought the pasta and meatballs one, but as I dont like mushrooms I didnt get any of the others. Great if you do love mushrooms though!! Is it going to be a permanent range or not?

Theres also stuff like Tesco value garlic bread that's vegan! I really enjoyed the Wicked pizza too! I've also had a couple of their lunch wraps, and I have one of their sandwiches to try today :) I think like anything it is planned to be permanent but will just depend one how well it does. I think it's doing well at the moment as they're new and exciting, but hoping people continue to buy them.
  • RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,497 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 January 2018 at 8:07PM
    Options
    M&S have quite a few vegan foods now. I was quite impressed by the vegan stew pots. One middle-eastern inspired squash and bean stew, one cauliflower, coconut, and lentil dhal. They perhaps weren't the best value for money in terms of amount / £. However, they tasted very nice, and impressed me much more than the frozen Aldi equivalents. I see that they're listed on this page: https://veganwomble.co.uk/vegan-ready-meals/

I haven't tried the Tesco's wicked kitchen pizzas, or anything wicked kitchen yet. Looking forward to doing so.

EDIT: Oh, and ASDA have started selling own-brand Vegan Cheese. I only saw cheddar flavour. It looks very much like the Sainsbury's and Tesco's vegan cheese, so I presume it's also made by Bute Island Cheese. ASDA sell it for £2 a block, so undercutting their competition. Note: I mainly buy original Scheese branded cheese as I like to support my local independent vegan shop.

5054781763451_280_IDShot_3.jpeg
  • savvy
    Options
    RHemmings wrote: »
    M&S have quite a few vegan foods now.
    Look out for the jars of coconut caramel!!! :j:j
  • RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,497 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 23 January 2018 at 7:37PM
    Options

I'm eating the carbonara pizza with salsa verde right now (probably getting grease on my keyboard.) There is no cheese, but I must agree with your description. It's bloody lovely and SO NICE. I have pizza quite often, usually ones I make myself. If I had been given the Wicked Kitchen pizza in a vegan restaurant, I'd be very impressed. The salsa verde really adds a lovely flavour.

I've got the pasta and meatballs one and the mushroom Bolognese in the fridge, though my partner will eat some of that.

Is salsa verde always this nice? I must try some more.
  • rawr_
    Options
    RHemmings wrote: »
    I Is salsa verde always this nice? I must try some more.

Oooo I've not tried that one yet, but if it's anything like the mushroom one then I'm sure it's lovely! We're luck if theres any in stock by the time we get to Tesco :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure