Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

Brexit, the economy and house prices part 5

Options

Comments

• Filo25
    Filo25 Posts: 2,131 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    cogito wrote: »
    The EU's strategy is only too clear. Lay down an entreched position, refuse to budge from it and dismiss every concession as insufficient, unrealistic or magical thinking.

There's an interesting thread on the BBC website where a significant number of contributors are now saying stuff them, lets leave without a deal. This hasn't happened before.

For me it doesn't really matter who is at fault or who is being unfair.

The problem is pretty simple an agreement requires both parties to agree to terms that are acceptable to both of them, either party has a right to walk away, nobody owes the other side a deal that suits the other side.

My concern is that there is no guarantee of a deal at the end of the road, and that would be extremely costly to the UK and also to the EU, a lot of people are still living in denial about how damaging a true Hard Brexit would be, in that circumstance it won't really matter whose fault it is, blaming the EU won't help alleviate any economic damage caused.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    gfplux wrote: »
    There has been lots of bad things happen to the economy since the referendum. Britain has been promised a wonderful future after Brexit so the good news can't start until after the end of March 2019.
    Only 533 days to wait.

At least immigration will be controlled. Something that the majority of the EU seems to care little about for very obvious reasons.
  • mrginge
    mrginge Posts: 4,843 Forumite
    Options
    mayonnaise wrote: »
    We were promised by the usual suspects on here that the EU would be swiftly falling over themselves to offer us the greatest ever deal. As we are so important and Prosecco and Mercs and stuff. Oh well.

I know it's ridiculous.

I think we should cancel brexit
  • mrginge
    mrginge Posts: 4,843 Forumite
    Options
    mayonnaise wrote: »
    No deal is fine for me too.

The economic hit will be so severe, the Article 49 route will be just around the corner. :)

Yes I agree that will definitely happen and then we can all just go back to our single market and big rebate.
  • Thrugelmir
    Options
    Herzlos wrote: »
    Apparently the EU will cave in to whatever our demands are at the 11th hour, or something.

Such a glib comment can only come from the Facebook generation. Sometimes in life people simply agree to differ in view. Walking away without settlement. One simply gets on with it. Just as you would with any major event. Dust will settle, new relationships will be formed. As the next generation knows no different.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    At least immigration will be controlled. Something that the majority of the EU seems to care little about for very obvious reasons.

Controlled but not reduced. Especially if the Indians get their way.
  • Drawer_full_of_socks
    Options
    The poor. Sick snd dying in Africa know no different. They just get on with it.

I can't wait. Lets stop moaning about ruining our childrens future. Because they won't know any different. Brilliant. :eek:
  • Thrugelmir
    Options
    Herzlos wrote: »
    Controlled but not reduced. Especially if the Indians get their way.

The UK has a post war ageing population. Highly likely that a point population might remain static or decline in the years to come.

Same as much of the Western world. Germany will encounter problems before the UK does.
  • mayonnaise
    mayonnaise Posts: 3,690 Forumite
    Options
    mrginge wrote: »
    I think we should cancel brexit
    Now you're talking sense. :)
    mrginge wrote: »
    Yes I agree that will definitely happen and then we can all just go back to our single market and big rebate.
    The big rebate or any kind of rebate will probably be lost.
    Don't blame me, I voted Remain.
  • HAMISH_MCTAVISH
    Options
    DMAGDeHX4AAmifF.jpg

The public are waking up to reality....
    “The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie – deliberate, contrived, and dishonest – but the myth, persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.

Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”

-- President John F. Kennedy”
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport