Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

Brexit, the economy and house prices part 5

Options

Comments

• ukcarper
    ukcarper Posts: 17,337 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Tiners wrote: »
    I was basing my question more just on the figures for average stock per agent branch..
    .Aug 2009 - 62
    Aug 2017 - 43

Are they now just relying on the bulk of their income from the lettings fees gravy train? Rather than commission from residential sales? In which case what effect will the proposed lettings fees ban have on them?
    I would imagine their main source of income is the Landlords letting fees not the fee they charge new tenants.
  • mayonnaise
    mayonnaise Posts: 3,690 Forumite
    Options
    We were promised by the usual suspects on here that the EU would be swiftly falling over themselves to offer us the greatest ever deal. As we are so important and Prosecco and Mercs and stuff. Oh well.
    Don't blame me, I voted Remain.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Apparently the EU will cave in to whatever our demands are at the 11th hour, or something.
  • Filo25
    Filo25 Posts: 2,131 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Carl31 wrote: »
    well, not really. Those who decided that they would lead the exit from EU are doing a pretty naff job of it, mainly as they're not behind it, which is obvious

Not that I am a fan, but they should have given the job to Nigel Farage, at least he fully supported the idea and would have worked at it properly. All thats happened is the government offered a referendum, and have now cocked it up, this isnt a voter issue, this is a politician incompetence issue, which both sides of the argument should be making note of in case this ever happens again in the future

Remainers may scoff at whats happening, and want to reverse the decision, but should we ever be in a similar situation to this again, just remember whats happened in our "democratic" country, next time the shoe might be on the other foot

David Davis has been a prominent Euroceptic for a long time, I know some seem to want Remoaners for everything not being quite as simple as it was portrayed during the referendum campaign, but you can hardly claim that negotiations are failing because he is a Europhile who is secretly sabotaging the talks.

The only thing Farage would achieve in charge of talks would be an acrimonious Hard Brexit with ill-will on both sides, of course many seem to be convinced that wouldn't be a problem for the UK, let's just say that I'm not entirely convinced......
  • Tromking
    Tromking Posts: 2,691 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    mayonnaise wrote: »
    We were promised by the usual suspects on here that the EU would be swiftly falling over themselves to offer us the greatest ever deal. As we are so important and Prosecco and Mercs and stuff. Oh well.

Or, we were told by the usual suspects that the UK would be such a weak petitioner that we'd be grateful for any deal.
    You pays yer money...............
    “Britain- A friend to all, beholden to none”. 🇬🇧
  • mayonnaise
    Options
    Tromking wrote: »
    Or, we were told by the usual suspects that the UK would be such a weak petitioner that we'd be grateful for any deal.
    You pays yer money...............

But we are a weak petitioner.

"Listen, dastardly EU, we demand to talk trade before we settle liabilities, NI border and EU citizens and if you don't play ball we go for the nuclear option and wipe 18% off our GDP" :rotfl:

http://metro.co.uk/2017/10/11/hard-brexit-would-cost-400-billion-wipe-18-off-gdp-and-cause-a-recession-6994076/
  • Conrad
    Conrad Posts: 33,137 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Brexit: stop the 'games' over the bill and get on with EU deal, says Denmark

Danish finance minister boosts UK’s hopes of securing a Brexit trade deal, saying a swift political compromise is required.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/oct/08/denmark-dismisses-eu-wrangling-brexit-divorce-bill-game
  • mayonnaise
    Options
    Conrad wrote: »
    Brexit: stop the 'games' over the bill and get on with EU deal, says Denmark

Danish finance minister boosts UK’s hopes of securing a Brexit trade deal, saying a swift political compromise is required.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/oct/08/denmark-dismisses-eu-wrangling-brexit-divorce-bill-game

The duplicity of the UK Gov's strategy in only too clear: delay, prevaricate, and try to get the individual governments (like the Danish as per your article) and business communities to break ranks and give UK Gov what it wants. It's so transparent. And it's not going to work. :)
  • cogito
    cogito Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Options
    mayonnaise wrote: »
    The duplicity of the UK Gov's strategy in only too clear: delay, prevaricate, and try to get the individual governments (like the Danish as per your article) and business communities to break ranks and give UK Gov what it wants. It's so transparent. And it's not going to work. :)

The EU's strategy is only too clear. Lay down an entreched position, refuse to budge from it and dismiss every concession as insufficient, unrealistic or magical thinking.

There's an interesting thread on the BBC website where a significant number of contributors are now saying stuff them, lets leave without a deal. This hasn't happened before.
  • mayonnaise
    Options
    No deal is fine for me too.

The economic hit will be so severe, the Article 49 route will be just around the corner. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport