Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

Brexit, the economy and house prices part 5

Options

Comments

• ess0two
    ess0two Posts: 3,606 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 October 2017 at 10:14PM
    Options
    Do we need part 5, the last 4 were tedious.
    Official MR B fan club,dont go............................
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Like the negotiations. Going nowhere.
  • fatbeetle
    fatbeetle Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    ess0two wrote: »
    Do we need part 5, the last 4 were tedious.

Of course we need them! How else will the remoaners tell us this;

6a00d83452654869e200e55282a8928834-800wi-jpeg.9475
    “If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and who weren't so lazy.”
  • Moby
    Moby Posts: 3,916 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    How odd to see Brexiteers demanding that we spend billions now just in case negotiations don’t go so well.
    These same people told us there would be billions of pounds saved for all the nice things in life, but here we are before we’ve even finished talking about leaving, let alone actually leaving, needing to waste billions getting things ready just in case.
  • gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    Options
    There has been lots of bad things happen to the economy since the referendum. Britain has been promised a wonderful future after Brexit so the good news can't start until after the end of March 2019.
    Only 533 days to wait.
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    fatbeetle wrote: »
    Of course we need them! How else will the remoaners tell us this;

It's only the leavers that are doomed, as they have trouble dealing with reality.
    We're all just going to have less money than before, paying for your folly.
  • Tiners
    Tiners Posts: 232 Forumite
    Options
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/house-prices/confidence-activity-housing-market-lowest-level-since-referendum/

One thing that puzzles me is how EA's are still managing to survive and, by all appearances, thrive.

In 2008-9 the number of EA's on my High street went from 5 to 3, and those 3 branches that did manage to remain open usually only had just one forlorn member of staff sat gazing out of the window all day.

Ffwd to 2017, stock levels on agents books are now far lower than 2008-9 yet there are are now 7 fully staffed EA's on my high street.
  • Carl31
    Carl31 Posts: 2,616 Forumite
    Options
    Tiners wrote: »
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/house-prices/confidence-activity-housing-market-lowest-level-since-referendum/

One thing that puzzles me is how EA's are still managing to survive and, by all appearances, thrive.

In 2008-9 the number of EA's on my High street went from 5 to 3, and those 3 branches that did manage to remain open usually only had just one forlorn member of staff sat gazing out of the window all day.

Ffwd to 2017, stock levels on agents books are now far lower than 2008-9 yet there are are now 7 fully staffed EA's on my high street.

that article says 20% more respondents, then 15% more respondents stated drops - but doesn't say 20% or 15% of what

if its an additional 20% / 15% of an original 1%, then theres not much to worry about is there? just a bit more Brexit spin, but that would be why EAs are not failing
  • Carl31
    Carl31 Posts: 2,616 Forumite
    Options
    Moby wrote: »
    How odd to see Brexiteers demanding that we spend billions now just in case negotiations don’t go so well.
    These same people told us there would be billions of pounds saved for all the nice things in life, but here we are before we’ve even finished talking about leaving, let alone actually leaving, needing to waste billions getting things ready just in case.

well, not really. Those who decided that they would lead the exit from EU are doing a pretty naff job of it, mainly as they're not behind it, which is obvious

Not that I am a fan, but they should have given the job to Nigel Farage, at least he fully supported the idea and would have worked at it properly. All thats happened is the government offered a referendum, and have now cocked it up, this isnt a voter issue, this is a politician incompetence issue, which both sides of the argument should be making note of in case this ever happens again in the future

Remainers may scoff at whats happening, and want to reverse the decision, but should we ever be in a similar situation to this again, just remember whats happened in our "democratic" country, next time the shoe might be on the other foot
  • Tiners
    Tiners Posts: 232 Forumite
    Options
    Carl31 wrote: »
    that article says 20% more respondents, then 15% more respondents stated drops - but doesn't say 20% or 15% of what

if its an additional 20% / 15% of an original 1%, then theres not much to worry about is there? just a bit more Brexit spin, but that would be why EAs are not failing

I was basing my question more just on the figures for average stock per agent branch..
    .Aug 2009 - 62
    Aug 2017 - 43

Are they now just relying on the bulk of their income from the lettings fees gravy train? Rather than commission from residential sales? In which case what effect will the proposed lettings fees ban have on them?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure