IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Small claim against me even though paid fine

Comments

• Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,963 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    I think all the detail about who to submit to and via which medium is provided in the NEWBIES FAQ sticky, post # 2. Please do check it out there. Would be a bit of a blow to miss out by not getting basic admin right.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Hayles31
    Hayles31 Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Thanks so much for your help. All filed etc, spoke to court re payment.
    Will let you know how I get on, may need some more input at WS stage
  • Hayles31
    First Anniversary
    Hi
    I served and filed my defence/counterclaim on 21 october, the Court sent the Claimant an order on 25 October enclosing the response pack for them to respond. The directions questionnaire doesn’t need to be filed to 13 November. What is the earliest I can seek judgment in default? Is it tomorrow? And at the same time can I ask their claim be struck out as if they don’t defend the claim then I see it that their claim should fail.

Thanks in advance
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    I invite your client to withdraw the claim within the next 7 days (ie by x date). If it does not do so then I will make and pursue my counterclaim without further notice.

LOC, the above seems to be giving the PPC a free get out of jail card if they cancel the charge.

Surely this cannot be right, the PPC needs a good kicking, why give them a free pass?
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Hayles31
    First Anniversary
    That LOC was sent some time ago so I have proceeded with the counterclaim now as they failed to respond but yes I probably shouldn’t have given them a chance to get out of the claim with hindsight.

But on basis of last post I did when can I look to enter judgment against them for failing to respond to my counterclaim?

Thanks
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 137,777 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    They needed to have responded to your counter claim within 14 days, IIRC, and I don't think there is provision for them to extend that to 28, for a counter-claim defence, but see what Johnersh or LOC123 say.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    I love it when people fight back
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • In the absence of agreement, I would agree that it ought to be 14 days for the Reply to the Defence and Counter claim to be served.

I reckon that you are good to apply for default judgment on Friday 10/11/17. This is based on service of both the Defence and Response Pack (the latter being sent later) being completed by 27/10/17. Obviously no hearing required.

The problem you have is that there is no claimed amount of your legal costs in the Counterclaim, which you can seek as a judgment in default. If you want to claim unspecified hourly rate costs that will require a hearing, I suspect. You may be better off with an Order as below, claiming merely the Court fees, which would potentially optimise this going through on the papers, like the PPCs are so adept at doing.

ORDER

1. That the Claimant's claim be dismissed

2. That the Claimant having failed to submit a Defence to the Defendant's Counterclaim, do pay to the Defendant within 7 days of this Order the sum of £500 in respect of damages for breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 and misuse of personal data as claimed.

3. The Claimant do pay the Defendant's Court costs of [£ ]
  • Hayles31
    First Anniversary
    Thank you so much, should I also add something about dismissing their claim as if I’m successful with getting a judgment then surely their claim must fail?

Thanks
  • Hayles31
    First Anniversary
    Also for some reason I’ve had a letter from court saying that given my claim was 300 that I’ve overpaid the court fee and they have reimbursed me 10 pounds. I’ve checked my paperwork and I definitely stated 500 so not sure what’s happened. Paid 35 and they say I should have paid 25
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.3K Life & Family
  • 251K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.