We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

eBay switching listings off?

Options
moonpenny
moonpenny Posts: 2,435 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
For ages i have felt that ebay switch listings off and now I am sure they do.

Haven't sold a thing for 4 weeks - not even any watchers and then suddenly over last 2 days sold 4 items and guess what? All were from same area Surrey. I live in Yorkshire.
I am a private seller and don't sell that much but usually have a few watchers at least, but I think this is just too much of a coincidence all being sold in same area.
Has anyone else noticed this happening to their listings?

Comments

• Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 11,128 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    No - and saying you are 'sure they do' is a bit strong based on what appears to be zero hard evidence.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • moonpenny
    Options
    Marcon wrote: »
    No - and saying you are 'sure they do' is a bit strong based on what appears to be zero hard evidence.

Wow! There is always someone ready for an argument.

It was an observation and just a figure of speech not to be taken literally.
    You must agree it is a bit of a coincidence? Or maybe not!!!!
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Off topic, if you are a private seller how do you "have a few watches at least"? Genuinely curious? Or do you mean "watchers"?

But back to your OP, no I sell as a business and don't see regional issues. Hopefully yours will pick up and be back to normal soon.
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    moonpenny wrote: »
    Wow! There is always someone ready for an argument.

It was an observation and just a figure of speech not to be taken literally.
    You must agree it is a bit of a coincidence? Or maybe not!!!!

BTW I don't think that post was how you seem to have taken it, perhaps read it again!
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,791 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't normally buy into these theories but on Seller Hub it has a graph showing my sales. The chart is the same for the last few months. It increases, reaches a peak and then declines and starts again. Normally over about 10 days. I can imagine with all the sellers, switching which sellers appear in best matches searches would be fair. It would just be nice if they were upfront and honest about it. If I could pick which days my items appeared first in searches it would make life a lot easier.

Of course the above could be Ebay paranoid ramblings. Big companies spend millions trying to understand when and why their sales happens and still don't always get it right.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,397 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mrcol1000 wrote: »
    I don't normally buy into these theories but on Seller Hub it has a graph showing my sales. The chart is the same for the last few months. It increases, reaches a peak and then declines and starts again. Normally over about 10 days. I can imagine with all the sellers, switching which sellers appear in best matches searches would be fair. It would just be nice if they were upfront and honest about it. If I could pick which days my items appeared first in searches it would make life a lot easier.

Of course the above could be Ebay paranoid ramblings. Big companies spend millions trying to understand when and why their sales happens and still don't always get it right.

Conspiracy or not I definitely have patterns and on some other eBay forums people have illustrated times where they seem to be completely switched off, even to the extent that doing a casual search doesn't actually show their items.

One of the examples that really bought this home to me was searching for a wedding hat using the term navy wedding hat, on one search I had several hundred results, yet less than an hour later using my iPad the exact same search term showed less than 100 items. The one I wanted didn't show up at all and I had to try and remember the sellers name and find it via their shop where it was still actively listed.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • moonpenny
    Options
    I have had problems in the past too trying to find a listing that I know is there and unable to find it.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,588 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Same here. On another forum a member posted a link to their ebay listing. Item normally goes for around £80+.

I started to think the listing was fake, not visible via ebay.co.uk search, so i tried the other ebay sites and nothing found when i put the item in the search.

Even searching the item number and clicking sellers other items gave no results, the only way i could find the item was through the link on the forum. Ebay showed the seller had nothing for sale.

I bid and won but did not exect it to turn up. But it arrived with no issues.

A strange one.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• theonlywayisup
    Options
    Same here. On another forum a member posted a link to their ebay listing. Item normally goes for around £80+.

I started to think the listing was fake, not visible via ebay.co.uk search, so i tried the other ebay sites and nothing found when i put the item in the search.

Even searching the item number and clicking sellers other items gave no results, the only way i could find the item was through the link on the forum. Ebay showed the seller had nothing for sale.

I bid and won but did not exect it to turn up. But it arrived with no issues.

A strange one.

Isn't that a random one. How fortuitous you managed to see it on the forum and be the highest bidder.
  • Pierre_De_Grenoble
    Options
    eBay's search can not be kn**kered can it?

At the very least it deals with TRS /Best match to give some sellers a boost, and then of course there's all the "diamond" sellers that aren't effected by negs. / defects etc.

Then there's the promoted listings given a boost over all else & who hasn't found that their listings are not showing in search even though the account is 100% pristine etc. etc.

eBay has Cassini rigged so many ways it couldn't even tell you what day it was if you searched for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport