buying car tyres

Options
12346»

Comments

• House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    edited 6 November 2017 at 5:02PM
    Options
    I know I will get slated for this but my last pair of rear tyres were bought virtually brand new with 8 mill tread depth from Ebay. Both rear tyres were top makes, Continentals, and the ebayer was my local big scrapyard in Doncaster who fitted the pair perfectly well and noticed a broken rear spring on one side to which they also supplied me a perfect replacement at a quarter of the new price.
    All in all a good advert for recycling .Many cars are broken for parts with excellent nearly new parts.
    My tyres are superior to the cheapo brands being Vauxhalls standard makes they use on new cars .
    Dont rule out used tyres but go for at least 7mm tread depth and check them carefully and stick to quality brands .
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    edited 6 November 2017 at 5:04PM
    Options
    So people don't believe this is possible to do in minutes. I stand by my word. Does anyone want to take me up on a bet? I can come to you, bring my own wheel and fit the tyre within 5 minutes (does not include balancing). If I fail I will give you £1000 pounds. If I succeed you pay me £1000. By your accounts it should be easy money for you. I am deadly serious about this.
    I believe you.
    Years ago I was a bit of a home mechanic on the dole and I also got quite good at tyre fitting with my own levers.The tyres I used to fit were quite big ones on my VW Campervan and I could do it pretty fast and that included the hard bit of breaking the seal using a jack .Maybe not 5 mins but far quicker than driving to a fitting bay and hanging around until a surly bloke in raggy overalls then conned me for fitting prices and new valves which were not needed.
    I also figured out the balancing by trial and error if that was needed.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I know I will get slated for this but my last pair of rear tyres were brought virtually brand new with 8 mill tread depth from Ebay.

Yes you will get slated the word is "Bought" not "Brought"!!!
  • chilswelluk
    chilswelluk Posts: 173 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 6 November 2017 at 4:49PM
    Options
    I believe you.
    The tyres I used to fit were quite big ones on my VW Campervan and I could do it pretty fast and that included the hard bit of breaking the seal using a jack

In my experience breaking the bead is the hardest part. I tend to do the bigger 4x4 wheels with a bodyrepair jack wedged against a wall (like in my video) or you can use a high lift farm jack or even drive over them. My friend also has a mallet tool specially for breaking the beads and I had a go with it. It's surprising that some of them come off easy that way. Also for smaller ones, it is really easy to use a vice. I have an old blacksmiths vice and just pop them in there. I just changed all 4 of my mums Honda civic tyres that way.

Plus it's worth mentioning that you don't need any special tools at all. This guy shows a good technique, just using a trolley jack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uyuZhjjfnw

I think it's just a matter of people being willing to have a go.
  • migger02
    migger02 Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    Djw5883 wrote: »
    I use thenewtyre.site a lot cheaper than most places and next day delivery! Had them fitted for fiver a pop can't go wrong!

My brother got a set of 4 from them and he got good discount. Another good score by my buddy with his pick up truck build. He inquired for a set of BFG tires and fuel wheels online from a couple of big sites and theygive the lowest price match. Competition is really healthy for consumers.
  • Djw5883
    Djw5883 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    I know for 4x4 you can't beat them I got 4 for what local garage charged for 2 All terrains!
  • phatwa
    phatwa Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    Has anyone ever used this site? I had a look at it and Camskill as mentioned above was quoted as the cheapest, although I prefer mobile tyres like etyres etc. Often only a little bit more.

:money:
  • con73
    Options
    If you are from Baltics, I would recommend rehvid123.ee
  • con73
    Options
    Yes, but you can choose what they have in their store, not that you want. From an online store you can choose what ever you want, what will fit your needs and plus you will get fresh tyres.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure