buying car tyres

Options

Comments

• chilswelluk
    Options
    Iceweasel wrote: »
    Sorry pal - but I don't believe a word of that.

What don't you believe exactly? That you can remove the tyres without scratching the rims?
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,693 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 4 November 2017 at 9:44PM
    Options
    Because you're possibly the first person to say fitting and balancing modern tyres by hand is easy.

I know a few folk that do their own car work but don't fit tyres. I've tried taking tyres off a few smaller wheels and it's been a nightmare. I'm sure I could change one in an emergency, but I'd rather pay not to.
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Herzlos wrote: »
    Because you're possibly the first person to say fitting and balancing modern tyres by hand us easy.

And it only took a few minutes! :rotfl:
  • chilswelluk
    chilswelluk Posts: 173 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 4 November 2017 at 10:56PM
    Options
    Iceweasel wrote: »
    And it only took a few minutes! :rotfl:

Go to youtube channel Jim1457a and watch the video "How to change your own tires by hand" The guy does it in a few minutes without a machine. Here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRAS1A6eEV0&t=223s

I don't get what point you are trying to make?
  • chilswelluk
    edited 4 November 2017 at 10:46PM
    Options
    I know a few folk that do their own car work but don't fit tyres. I've tried taking tyres off a few smaller wheels and it's been a nightmare.

Why was it a nightmare? For smaller wheels I just clamp them in an old vice and that easily breaks the bead. You can also use a jack or even drive over them. Once off the bread they are easy. The key is to bolt the wheel to something.

Sorry but I think people make a lot of fuss over this. These are my videos and it was the first time I did it. I even made a lot of mistakes, so it shows you how easy it is to do. People just say this job is "hard" without ever trying it. It would have been harder and more hassel to load everything into the car and go to a tyre place

Remove old tyres:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AleWMv_BbCk&t=23s

mount new tyres:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8OePGSYWpU&t=23s
  • seatbeltnoob
    Options
    when it comes to tyres I go for the chains over independants. I get the feeling that its better up north but in London where the rents are so high the prices are very expensive. Fitting tyres can be as much as £15 a tyre if you supply your own.

I am a costco member and buy tyres from them, they had good discounts on goodyear tyres. £7.50 off each goodyear tyre. Their prices are matched to the cheap suppliers asda/blackcircles so with the extra £7.50 off it went a long way.

Most importantly the fitting is much MUCH better at chains. I've seen far too many independants just use an impact driver to do up bolts. At costco they actually fastened up most of it with impact and finished up with a torque wrench.

Costco's policy is they only fit new tyres to the back axle, so if you want the front tyres changed they will move the back tyres to the front and then fit the new tyres to the back.

After they moved the back tyres to the front they actually balanced it for me when they didn't need to.
  • loskie
    loskie Posts: 1,761 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    chilswelluk

you certainly do not make the job look easy in your tyre removal video, in fact it is an accident waiting to happen. You say you don't damage the rims but the centre of that one is !!!!ed.
    And it's TYRE.
  • chilswelluk
    edited 5 November 2017 at 12:19AM
    Options
    loskie wrote: »
    chilswelluk

You say you don't damage the rims but the centre of that one is !!!!ed.
    And it's TYRE.

Yes they are, I used them for off road stuff. That's why, I never used them on road. And yes it is easy, it does not take long at all. Much easier for me than driving to a tyre place, having to wait around / book in etc. Plus it was my first time doing it, so with a little practice it is a piece of cake. Bit like car windscreens, people say they are a hassle to do, but it's really not that hard.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,693 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 5 November 2017 at 9:01AM
    Options
    loskie wrote: »
    chilswelluk

you certainly do not make the job look easy in your tyre removal video, in fact it is an accident waiting to happen. You say you don't damage the rims but the centre of that one is !!!!ed.
    And it's TYRE.

That's what I was thinking. No way would I recommend any of that to someone. It may be fine for off road work with tatty wheels bit when modern alloys can be £300 each why take a very real risk of damage to save £40 every few years? I'm sure I can see about 6 spots where you've damaged the new rim, too.

No advice should ever include "or you can just drive over it" unless you're talking to a farmer.

You didn't look far from a bad accident for most of that. I hope noone seeing that video tries to copy it and ends off doing serious damage.

Beyond that there's the time; waiting for tools from ebay and the time spend bodging around. A proper fitter with tools will have all 4 replaced and back on car safely in the time it's taken you to fudge your way through it, and you can get it gone any time you want. Your approach only makes sense if you stuff a wheel and you're too far away from a fitted.
  • chilswelluk
    edited 5 November 2017 at 9:11AM
    Options
    That's what I was thinking. No way would I recommend any of that to someone. It may be fine for off road work with tatty wheels bit when modern alloys can be £300 each why take a very real risk of damage to save £40 every few years?

No advice should ever include "or you can just drive over it" unless you're talking to a farmer.

First point there are plenty of videos out there showing people driving over the tyre. It works! Plus if you think what I did was dangerous, I don't think you should be going out of the house alone!

You talk as though it is impossible not to damage the rim. You can even buy special no scratch tools. Plus take a minute to google tyre changing and scratched rims. I am not naming any companies, but there are plenty of reviews out there of big dealerships scratching the rims.

Here is a video by another guy showing how easy it is. Although I bet you don't like the deodorant bit.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xam5KDs5X1c
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport