item drastically reduced in price shortly after purchase

Options
I bought an expensive coat a couple of days ago, a 'new season' waterproof, so obviously I was not expecting it to be reduced in price any time soon, and I needed it. It came today, and I'm very pleased with it, so I went back to the website intending to leave a favourable review but was then very shocked to find that it has 40% off in a weekend promotion!
I suppose could repurchase and return the original, but that would incur a returns cost.
Do I have any grounds to ask for a refund of the difference in price between the price I paid and the current offer?
I've emailed them to complain, but I would like to be certain of my rights before I start arguing the toss.
Official DFW Nerd No 096 - Proud to have dealt with my debt!

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No grounds to complain, but you can ask for them to adjust the price - they don't have to. Or you can return. 40% sounds like it would be worth your while to cancel and reorder, assuming the size is still in stock.

Is there a reason you feel you should complain, would you feel the need to pay more if the price had increased?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,208 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You have no rights at all to the difference as a refund, nor any other rights for refunds. Prices vary all the time and I'm sure we've all bought something that we later see has been reduced.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • powerful_Rogue
    Options
    newleaf wrote: »
    I bought an expensive coat a couple of days ago, a 'new season' waterproof, so obviously I was not expecting it to be reduced in price any time soon, and I needed it. It came today, and I'm very pleased with it, so I went back to the website intending to leave a favourable review but was then very shocked to find that it has 40% off in a weekend promotion!
    I suppose could repurchase and return the original, but that would incur a returns cost.
    Do I have any grounds to ask for a refund of the difference in price between the price I paid and the current offer?
    I've emailed them to complain, but I would like to be certain of my rights before I start arguing the toss.

The usual response will be:

If you had returned to the website and noticed it had gone up in price by 40%, would you be contacting the retailer to pay the extra?

As it stands, you have two options.

1) Contact the retailer and see what they say. They are under no legal obligation to refund you the difference, so try the nicely nicely approach.

2) Purchase the item at the reduced price and return the original for a refund. Bear in mind that if you have removed tags etc then they can deduct a percentage front he refund. You will however have to accept the return postage cost - but you'll still be quids in I presume!

Edit - Just noticed that you have already sent them an email to complain. That will more then likely rule out option number 1.
  • newleaf
    newleaf Posts: 3,132 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Thanks for replies, I didn't think I would have any 'actual' rights, just wanted to check.
    They are a major retailer, and pride themselves on their excellent CS and guarantee, so I think they may well offer something as a goodwill gesture.
    I don't think I am unreasonable in being put out, really, given that it is a 'new season' item and has been unexpectedly reduced so significantly in price.
    If I don't hear anything within 24 hours I will repurchase, and return.
  • powerful_Rogue
    Options
    Thanks for replies, I didn't think I would have any 'actual' rights, just wanted to check.
    They are a major retailer, and pride themselves on their excellent CS and guarantee, so I think they may well offer something as a goodwill gesture.
    I don't think I am unreasonable in being put out, really, given that it is a 'new season' item and has been unexpectedly reduced so significantly in price.
    If I don't hear anything within 24 hours I will repurchase, and return.

Happens to all of us.
    The trick is not to keep checking the price after purchase, or if you do make sure you're willing to purchase again and return.
  • newleaf
    newleaf Posts: 3,132 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    edited 6 October 2017 at 7:48PM
    Options
    Result! Just had a welcome email from CS - and will now name the company as I feel they have behaved very decently; it's Lands End.

'Thank you for your email regarding your recent order.

I'm sorry you have had to write in to complain regarding our current offer on Outerwear.

We often have Flash Sales for a limited time throughout the year but we will always honour a recently purchased item and credit accordingly.

Therefore, I have credited your credit card with the difference between the amount you paid and the current offer.

I hope this helps and if you require further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask'.

I didn't go back to check the price, by the way, I only intended to write a favourable review of the coat, which is lovely.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good result, but it's odd that you thought you had any 'rights' in this matter. The retailer has given you a refund based on their own voluntary pricing policy. Very few retailers do this, and it's at their discretion. Just as is the right to return an item (unless it is faulty).
    How long would you expect this 'right' to be valid? A couple of days? A week? 6 months?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,649 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A few months ago I bought a washing machine from Argos. I had to contact them about some paperwork a week after delivery. Checking the website for the model number I saw price had now been reduced by 30%.

Rang them about the paperwork and politely mentioned the price reduction. No arguments, the customer service operator immediately agreed to refund the difference back on to my credit card, which was duly done.

It definitely pays to ask (politely).
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Anoneemoose
    Anoneemoose Posts: 2,258 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    A few months ago I bought a washing machine from Argos. I had to contact them about some paperwork a week after delivery. Checking the website for the model number I saw price had now been reduced by 30%.

Rang them about the paperwork and politely mentioned the price reduction. No arguments, the customer service operator immediately agreed to refund the difference back on to my credit card, which was duly done.

It definitely pays to ask (politely).

We did this with Argos with iPad minis last year. Cheaper on Black Friday than when we purchased a week before. Obviously we weren't actually expecting anything, but were over the moon when they refunded the difference!

It's always worth asking, politely!
  • Hermione_Granger
    Hermione_Granger Posts: 1,418 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 8 October 2017 at 10:40AM
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    Good result, but it's odd that you thought you had any 'rights' in this matter.

But the OP didn't think they had any right to a refund but they were confirming this before proceeding.
    After all, isn't one purpose of this forum for people to enquire about what rights they have and don't have?
    If everyone was 100% sure of their rights, the forum may as well be closed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure