PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Neighbour constantly trespassing in yard, claims right of way.

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 6 October 2017 at 8:06PM
    Options
    chappers wrote: »
    This is where decent solicitors earn their money, making sure transfers truly reflect what is actually being transferred, so problems don't rear their heads down the line.
    Lazy conveyancing causes these sorts of problems.

The solicitor can usually only do this with the purchaser's help, though. At some stage the question has to be asked, "Does the title plan and documentation reflect the real situation on the ground?' 'Are the conditions, rights, responsibilities, covenants etc reasonable and as outlined by the vendor?'

In the case of our house, the answer was 'No,' four times over, one of which was a logical inconsistency, which ought to have been picked-up several transfers before. That was the only one which could be found without a site visit.

I do wonder what % of people who've taken the budget route through an on-line conveyancing factory will later regret it.
  • ChasingtheWelshdream
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    The solicitor can usually only do this with the purchaser's help, though. At some stage the question has to be asked, "Does the title plan and documentation reflect the real situation on the ground?' 'Are the conditions, rights, responsibilities, covenants etc reasonable and as outlined by the vendor?'

I do wonder what % of people who've taken the budget route through an on-line conveyancing factory will later regret it.

I have a relative with this situation. We've discovered she has no legal access to her property, via the access she was told. This is so obvious when seeing the property in the flesh.

However she forgot to mention where the front door is to the solicitor, so it was never picked up. She argued the conveyancer should have told her, but as the title plans look like a regular property, there was no way the solicitor could have known unless expressly told. And the firm was 200 miles away.

It's a bit of a mess...
  • chappers
    chappers Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »

In the case of our house, the answer was 'No,' four times over, one of which was a logical inconsistency, which ought to have been picked-up several transfers before. That as the only one which could be found without a site visit.

yep absolutely, I know someone who bought a house with a separate parcel of land across the road. I have no idea how it happened but several transfers previously this piece of land got registered incorrectly with the title to the house. Several people bought the house thinking they owned the land and then sold it on again in good faith. It wasn't until the rightful owner put in a planning application to develop the land that it all flagged up.
    It caused a right palaver it took several years to resolve. I don't know the full ins and outs but it involved tracking down people from previous transactions and money changed hands through the previous transactions.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure