Shiply courier dispute

Options
Hi,
I bought an item on Ebay, paid by paypal and organisd it to be collected by a courier on Shiply.
The courier broke the item as he collected it- the seller has provided CCTV footage of him breaking it. The courier told me it was broken when he collected it- this was untrue.
I have contacted the courier and he is refusing to claim on his insurance, he sent a badly written reply saying it was broken already. I have sent him the CCTV footage, he is now ignoring me.
Is there anything I do to get my money back from the courier? I've spent money on a piece of furniture and he's broken it. So angry!:mad:

Comments

• 19lottie82
    19lottie82 Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So it was a collection only item and you organised your own courier, is that correct?

Please can you explain in more details what you mean when you say the seller has CCTV footage of the courier breaking the item? Have you seen it?

From the info I have so far you have two options to get your money back

1 - If Shipley won't cooperate, send them a letter before action and then take them to the small claims court.

Or

2 - not morally correct IMO, if it was Shipley who broke the item. but you could always file a not as described case with eBay to get your money back from the buyer.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    19lottie82 wrote: »
    So it was a collection only item and you organised your own courier, is that correct?

Please can you explain in more details what you mean when you say the seller has CCTV footage of the courier breaking the item? Have you seen it?

From the info I have so far you have two options to get your money back

1 - If Shipley won't cooperate, send them a letter before action and then take them to the small claims court.

Or

2 - not morally correct IMO, if it was Shipley who broke the item. but you could always file a not as described case with eBay to get your money back from the buyer.

Other people have mentioned that if an item is clearly shown as collection only then neither eBay nor PayPal will allow any claim to be made. It could be anecdotal and it doesn't appear to fit in with eBay or PayPal terms, but it s worth considering if trying for any dodgy claim. Also of course if a claim was successful for a damaged item a collection only item would need to be returned before the refund was given, so buyer would incur more costs.

However, OP hasnt mentioned the item hasn't been refunded so perhaps it has already and it's just the courier charge that's the issue?

OP did the courier refuse to uplift the item after it was damaged?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • crispsandwich1
    crispsandwich1 Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 27 September 2017 at 7:52PM
    Options
    The item was collection only,but the seller had written that "you are free to arrange a courier"
    I have had no refund at all. I don't want a refund from the seller as they haven't done anything wrong- I want to claim from the courier. He advertised as being fully insured. Shipley was advertised through Ebay so I assumed it was OK, I'd never used it before.

When the courier phoned me and said it was broken I told him I didn't want it and to return it to the seller and I would claim via ebay/paypal. At that point I took his word that the seller had given him a broken item.

When I began the refund process the seller sent me very clear CCTV of the courier collecting it, dropping it and breaking it. It was being collected from a factory unit, hence the CCTV.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    If the courier is ignoring you, you'll need to issue a letter before action, and if he still fails to respond open a small claims case.

Shiply is a platform for couriers to bid for jobs. They are fine if things don't go wrong, useless if they do. I doubt they'll be much help to you. There are some excellent couriers on there, but some that will set up to make a quick buck and then disappear.

(Not sure lottie understands that shiply is not the courier?)
  • Lisbon
    Lisbon Posts: 415 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Just go straight to Money Claims Online (used to be known as Small Claims): https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome
  • crispsandwich1
    Options
    Thank you. I've contacted the courier explaining I will be taking him to small claims. It is a substantial amount of money so it's not something I can just write off to experience.

I assumed Shipley would be safe to use. I thought it would be like ebay/paypal in that it would have some form of resolution centre arrangement if the need arose. Lesson learnt- check first!
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,790 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Shiply tends to be more man and van than proper courier. It is useful though. I transported a van load of goods 200 miles for £60 because the van driver needed a return load desperately.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure