Advice needed for mother in law

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
6 replies 1.8K views
Juanita37Juanita37 Forumite
14 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
Hi. Just advice needed. My 65 year old mother in law gets state pension and housing benefit. Her 47 year old son gets pip enhanced foe both.
She was told not to claim carers allowance due to overlapping benefit but I heard she should still claim for it as they will add a disabled premium!? Please help advise in what I should tell her. Thanks

Replies

• poppy12345poppy12345 Forumite
    13K Posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Juanita37 wrote: »
    Hi. Just advice needed. My 65 year old mother in law gets state pension and housing benefit. Her 47 year old son gets pip enhanced foe both.
    She was told not to claim carers allowance due to overlapping benefit but I heard she should still claim for it as they will add a disabled premium!? Please help advise in what I should tell her. Thanks
    If she cares for her son for 35 hours or more each week then yes she would be entitled to apply for Carers Allowance. You're right in what you say that she wouldn't get this, what she'd get is a premium added on instead.
  • PrinzessileinPrinzessilein Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just to add a thought to Poppy's advice...

Is your brother living alone?....If he is, and he gets PiP enhanced Care, with no one claiming Carers Allowance for him....then he will possibly be getting Severe Disability Premium added to a qualifying benefit (such as ESA).

If this is so, and your mother starts claiming Carers Allowance then he will probably lose this premium (currently £60ish a week I think)

They might want to see if this affects her decision to claim.
  • Alice_HoltAlice_Holt Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    The addition of carers responsibilities may enable her to claim Pension Credit (which includes a carer's premium).
    She can't claim both CA & SP (as both are earnings replacement benefits).

She could try a benefit calculator:
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/Intro?cid=8945a157-a1f5-435d-9589-5374849b9322&isNew=False
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • anmarjanmarj Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    If she gets the “underlying entitlement” as her basic state pension is more than Carers Allowance, it does not effect the disability premium as it is not in payment. It only effects it if it goes into payment by 1p
  • anmarjanmarj Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Just a thought, if they live together, he would not get the disabilty premium anyway, as he could not be treated as living alone (SDP premium that is)
  • pmlindyloopmlindyloo Forumite
    13K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to add a thought to Poppy's advice...

Is your brother living alone?....If he is, and he gets PiP enhanced Care, with no one claiming Carers Allowance for him....then he will possibly be getting Severe Disability Premium added to a qualifying benefit (such as ESA).

If this is so, and your mother starts claiming Carers Allowance then he will probably lose this premium (currently £60ish a week I think)

They might want to see if this affects her decision to claim.

If the brother is receiving the Severe Disability Premium with his benefits then this will not be affected by his mother claiming the carer's premium.

It is only Carer's Allowance being in receipt that affect the SDP of someone, not the Carer's Premium.

And yes, state pension and CA are overlapping benefits so both cannot be claimed but CA must be applied for and then 'refused' in order to get the Carer's Premium.

Your MIL should get a benefits check from CA or she could try a benefits calculator (https://www.turn2us.co.uk) for an idea if the CA would then make her entitled to Guarantee Pension Credit. If she isn't then the Carer's Premium can be included in her HB claim.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals