Advice needed for mother in law

Options
Hi. Just advice needed. My 65 year old mother in law gets state pension and housing benefit. Her 47 year old son gets pip enhanced foe both.
She was told not to claim carers allowance due to overlapping benefit but I heard she should still claim for it as they will add a disabled premium!? Please help advise in what I should tell her. Thanks

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Juanita37 wrote: »
    Hi. Just advice needed. My 65 year old mother in law gets state pension and housing benefit. Her 47 year old son gets pip enhanced foe both.
    She was told not to claim carers allowance due to overlapping benefit but I heard she should still claim for it as they will add a disabled premium!? Please help advise in what I should tell her. Thanks
    If she cares for her son for 35 hours or more each week then yes she would be entitled to apply for Carers Allowance. You're right in what you say that she wouldn't get this, what she'd get is a premium added on instead.
  • Prinzessilein
    Options
    Just to add a thought to Poppy's advice...

Is your brother living alone?....If he is, and he gets PiP enhanced Care, with no one claiming Carers Allowance for him....then he will possibly be getting Severe Disability Premium added to a qualifying benefit (such as ESA).

If this is so, and your mother starts claiming Carers Allowance then he will probably lose this premium (currently £60ish a week I think)

They might want to see if this affects her decision to claim.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The addition of carers responsibilities may enable her to claim Pension Credit (which includes a carer's premium).
    She can't claim both CA & SP (as both are earnings replacement benefits).

She could try a benefit calculator:
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/Intro?cid=8945a157-a1f5-435d-9589-5374849b9322&isNew=False
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • anmarj
    anmarj Posts: 1,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If she gets the “underlying entitlement” as her basic state pension is more than Carers Allowance, it does not effect the disability premium as it is not in payment. It only effects it if it goes into payment by 1p
  • anmarj
    anmarj Posts: 1,819 Forumite
    Options
    Just a thought, if they live together, he would not get the disabilty premium anyway, as he could not be treated as living alone (SDP premium that is)
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Options
    Just to add a thought to Poppy's advice...

Is your brother living alone?....If he is, and he gets PiP enhanced Care, with no one claiming Carers Allowance for him....then he will possibly be getting Severe Disability Premium added to a qualifying benefit (such as ESA).

If this is so, and your mother starts claiming Carers Allowance then he will probably lose this premium (currently £60ish a week I think)

They might want to see if this affects her decision to claim.

If the brother is receiving the Severe Disability Premium with his benefits then this will not be affected by his mother claiming the carer's premium.

It is only Carer's Allowance being in receipt that affect the SDP of someone, not the Carer's Premium.

And yes, state pension and CA are overlapping benefits so both cannot be claimed but CA must be applied for and then 'refused' in order to get the Carer's Premium.

Your MIL should get a benefits check from CA or she could try a benefits calculator (https://www.turn2us.co.uk) for an idea if the CA would then make her entitled to Guarantee Pension Credit. If she isn't then the Carer's Premium can be included in her HB claim.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure