Npower advice needed..please help!

Dear Community,

I need to know the best course of action to take with an Npower billing situation.

Here is the deal..

I have been living at my current address for around 9 months, and have yet to receive a gas utility bill through from Npower. (Electric is on a key).

We had a letter through in February stating that gas prices would be increasing from 16th March 2017, and I decided to wait for our first bill before switching to a better provider such as EDF.

Unfortunately, no bills have ever materialised. All we have received in our entire time of being residents here is a generic letter stating that we are one of the few customers affected by their billing system problems, and there may be a short delay in generating our bill.

Now 9 months have passed and we are still waiting for something to come through. And presumably a pretty weighty sum too.

Now I am aware this is a very common problem people have been experiencing, and by no means an isolated case. I'm just wondering what my best course of action would be just now?

Here are my options as far as my knowledge and understanding goes;

1. Contact EDF and tell them I would like to switch to them. They will presumably take care of all the finer details and force Npower to generate a final balance bill.

2. Contact Npower directly and ask them what the f is going on.

3. Just keep waiting and see if I ever receive a bill through from them.

4. I recall there is a template letter on the site here somewhere that you can send a provider if they have not sent you a bill for a long period of time, that may enable you to write off some or all of the bill due to them not sending it out in a timely fashion. Does this ring a bell at all? So maybe this would be worth doing?

Need to get this sorted asap now though, as we are getting very close to central heating season..and want to be getting a fair rate during this time. As well as switching from Npower as quickly and efficiently as possible..because they are absolutely useless.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Best Regards, Andy

Replies

• G_MG_M Forumite
    52K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    All you are doing is storing up a large bill for the future. Gas isn't free.

Contact your supplier and ask - it ain't hard!

ps - when you moved in 9 months ago I assume you contacted them
    a) giving your details to take on the supply and
    b) giving them a meter reading??
  • dogshomedogshome Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Re your item 4
    You are referring to the 'Back Billing Agreement' which comes into play when a supplier fails to send out any bills for a period of 12 months or over

In states that the supplier cannot charge for any Elec/Gas supplied prior to the
    previous 12 months from the date that the supplier manages to produce a first bill
  • Ok, so joined MSE's cheap energy club & gonna switch to Affect Energy I think. They are £3 more expensive for the year than the cheapest, but are very well reviewed on here. So looks like a good move tbh. Hopefully save us over £200 per year as well.

Looks like I won't need to contact Npower as Affect will take care of it all.

Thanks for that 'dogshome'..That's what I was thinking of..
  • nPowernPower Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    1.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Andy222 wrote: »
    Dear Community,

I need to know the best course of action to take with an Npower billing situation.

Here is the deal..

I have been living at my current address for around 9 months, and have yet to receive a gas utility bill through from Npower. (Electric is on a key).

We had a letter through in February stating that gas prices would be increasing from 16th March 2017, and I decided to wait for our first bill before switching to a better provider such as EDF.

Unfortunately, no bills have ever materialised. All we have received in our entire time of being residents here is a generic letter stating that we are one of the few customers affected by their billing system problems, and there may be a short delay in generating our bill.

Now 9 months have passed and we are still waiting for something to come through. And presumably a pretty weighty sum too.

Now I am aware this is a very common problem people have been experiencing, and by no means an isolated case. I'm just wondering what my best course of action would be just now?

Here are my options as far as my knowledge and understanding goes;

1. Contact EDF and tell them I would like to switch to them. They will presumably take care of all the finer details and force Npower to generate a final balance bill.

2. Contact Npower directly and ask them what the f is going on.

3. Just keep waiting and see if I ever receive a bill through from them.

4. I recall there is a template letter on the site here somewhere that you can send a provider if they have not sent you a bill for a long period of time, that may enable you to write off some or all of the bill due to them not sending it out in a timely fashion. Does this ring a bell at all? So maybe this would be worth doing?

Need to get this sorted asap now though, as we are getting very close to central heating season..and want to be getting a fair rate during this time. As well as switching from Npower as quickly and efficiently as possible..because they are absolutely useless.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Best Regards, Andy

Hi Andy222,

Thanks for your message. Please contact us using the details on our profile page so we can help with your gas query.

Thanks

Jen :)
    Official Company Representative"
    I am the official company representative of nPower. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [email protected] This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
    If we ask you to contact us, please do so using [email protected] - MSE Forum has temporarily allowed the display of our contact details in our signature due to a technical issue with our profile
  • Maybe here would be better Jen. Why is it taking so long to generate bills? Why no recent correspondence? Why did your prices get hiked so much compared to other providers? Do you not realise your customers have lost faith and are leaving you as a result?
  • edited 26 September 2017 at 2:42PM
    footyguyfootyguy Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    edited 26 September 2017 at 2:42PM
    Andy222 wrote: »
    Maybe here would be better Jen. Why is it taking so long to generate bills? Why no recent correspondence? Why did your prices get hiked so much compared to other providers? Do you not realise your customers have lost faith and are leaving you as a result?

How can the nPower rep look at your account to investigate without you providing the necessary details (e.g. your name, address, account number, etc)?

I don't suggest you post them on a public site, so best to email Jen with them in private:)

Do come back with the response you then receive from nPower if you like ...Always interesting to know how these customer complaints end up being resolved.

Or have you already elected against option 2 in your OP, despite being urged to follow that in the very first response you received here by G_M? :cool:

Good luck!
  • G_MG_M Forumite
    52K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    footyguy wrote: »
    How can the nPower rep look at your account to investigate without you providing the necessary details (e.g. your name, address, account number, etc)?

I don't suggest you post them on a public site, so best to email Jen with them in private:)

Or have you already elected against option 2 in your OP, despite being urged to follow that in the very first response you received here by G_M? :cool:
    OP seems reluctant to contact npower either dhirectly or via the site (despite npower offering to look into this).

what can one do eh?
  • Guys, was simply trying to keep the thread interesting and informative, so that readers may review a direct response from Npower themselves..perhaps answering some common questions shared by others.

Was simply interested to see if their representative would comment on a public site regarding said questions..and what that response might be. But you kind of spoiled that didn't you.

Of course I will follow the above advice and contact Npower directly with my account details to get this sorted out.
  • Interested to know how you can work out how much you could save by switching away from nPower when you cannot seem to figure out how much you are currently paying because you cannot provide an up to date bill. It is hardly nPower's fault if you refuse to communicate with them; they cannot be expected to generate a bill and post it on here with no information, even were they permitted to. It's called the Data Protection Act for a reason!

I can only speak as I find and, with a few exceptions, I have always found nPower's customer service to be no worse than that of most providers and certainly better than that of British Gas, which admittedly isn't saying much. Just talk to them, fgs! If you had a valid point, you would not need to "keep the thread interesting" as it would already be so.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Fans demand refunds from Leeds Festival

...after Rage Against The Machine pulls out

MSE News

The 'Ask An Expert' event

Check out last week's energy-themed Q&A with MSE's experts

MSE Forum

Free museums & galleries

Where to get your culture fix across the UK

MSE Deals