🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

And now the fuse is lit...

Options

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,736 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    ZTD wrote: »
    And a further story in the annals of "BIY" (Bodge it yourself) we have the story of the kitchen workbench with the damaged corners.

What to do?
    1. Replace the workbench? cross.png
    2. Graft melamine onto the damaged corners? cross.png
    3. Stick kiddies face-protectors over the top? checkbox.svg

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • beanielou
    Options
    I cant say I like the A1 is the snow.
    It seems to go all the place.
    Not a pleasant experience.
    So have not ventured out again since Tuesday :mad:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

• ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    I cant say I like the A1 is the snow.
    It seems to go all the place.
    Not a pleasant experience.
    So have not ventured out again since Tuesday :mad:

So much depends on what you're doing with it. I have 4 wheel drive with 16 inch narrow snow tyres (the best you could get at the time, but superseded now), so it's absolutely great.

With the 18 inch very wide summer sports tyres. Well...that's fun and exciting for so many definitions of fun and exciting. Usually the ones involving panic, fear and terror...

The four wheel drive is still there, so I can still go anywhere. I just can't stop or steer when I get there... :eek:

I take it that you're still on summer tyres?
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • beanielou
    Options
    Yes, summer tyres, as came standard with car.

• ZTD
    Options
    Yes, summer tyres, as came standard with car.

The difference between summer tyres and winter tyres in the snow is the difference between night and day. Especially with ABS which just sits there farting in your general direction instead of locking the wheels up (which is actually ideal in snow). See this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyXkB2CfCcY - but I do not recommend buying the unGodly cheap tyres he does... :eek:

There's not much you can do about that now, except practise in the snow. Go out when it's quiet, find a big car-park with no restrictions like kerbs and bollards and practise your donuts. Get to the stage where you're not scared of it wandering and you don't even need to think about how you straighten up.

My car kicked out a few weeks ago, and the practice had me recovering so quick, it looked like it was deliberate and I was just messing about.

Which I do from time to time... :D
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,915 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It does explain what happened to my last cheap and nasty kettle.
    Lucily got a slightly better one for Christmas.

I have found that my cheap and nasty kettle was a darned siight better than my somewhat "better" & a lot more expensive Hotpoint kettle. I have decided that I do not like chrome no matter how nice it looks. It never looks clean. It burns you if you reach over/past it. My Hotpoint kettle may have been on offer (do we buy anything that isn't) but my Tesco cheapo lasted longer, better & never burnt me (over 10 yrs).
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Bodging ... sigh ... I'm still suffering from the bodges that appeared once I bought this place 7 years ago, though I've had most of them repaired. I feel your pain. Not your snow, though - hope its all gone?
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • ZTD
    Options
    badmemory wrote: »
    I have found that my cheap and nasty kettle was a darned siight better than my somewhat "better" & a lot more expensive Hotpoint kettle. I have decided that I do not like chrome no matter how nice it looks. It never looks clean.

I find chrome reflects my face... :eek::eek::eek:
    It burns you if you reach over/past it.

That's also a problem with the glass kettles as well.
    My Hotpoint kettle may have been on offer (do we buy anything that isn't)

:T

That's the way it should be. It's not like they're making a loss on the purchase. Especially since most stuff seems to be made from Chinesium these days.
    but my Tesco cheapo lasted longer, better & never burnt me (over 10 yrs).

Yep, I've still got a similar vintage Tesco one (which this new one has "replaced". Only thing that has "gone" is the little plastic filter in the spout, and that's just because it has picked up so much crud out of the water, it looks a bit _pale_ these days...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • ZTD
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Bodging ... sigh ... I'm still suffering from the bodges that appeared once I bought this place 7 years ago, though I've had most of them repaired. I feel your pain.

Well the sons of the people who had this place before me were supposed to be builders.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I wouldn't use them.

Since then I've had all the door handles done, sealed a number of parts of the roof, re-attached the downpipes, re-done the back downpipe sink, sealed around the windows, and various other bits and bobs.

Some things like the bathroom are hidden, so I can live with them, but they will be expensive at some point in the future.
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Not your snow, though - hope its all gone?

:rotfl:

The snow...

I should have about 8-9 inches out back all told, but the sun has been out and it has slumped to about 6 inches. The weather forecast was just saying south-west scotland would get snow, everybody else was just due frost.

That'll be why it was bleaching it down when I left work of course... :rotfl:

Seems to have calmed down now, but we'll see how it goes.

People were mostly sensible. Mostly. Still have the over-anxious and the bum-sniffers though...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • ZTD
    Options
    Well, went to see Mother who is now fully bionic. However, I did not expect to find my car already frozen over before I left. :eek:

It would seem there's some places out there at -3.5C - already. Had to put the seat on "4" to give my poor little bottom a warm hearted (or heated) pick-me-up. It's going to be cold tonight...

More snow due tomorrow. :T

OMD 'Julia's Song'
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family