Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Options

Comments

• redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,172 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I find I am much better at being ruthless with an online delivery, taking stuff out till its where I want it to be.

I use it for the bulk/heavy stuff mostly though as too much bending/lifting is an issue. Home delivery avoids in the trolley, out of the trolley onto conveyor, back into trolley, out of trolley into car. I find big trolleys much harder as you have to bend further. I sound like an old lady, don't I? Well worth the fee, especially if I factor in petrol.
  • abba1772
    abba1772 Posts: 7,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Can you not log on to Tesco clubcard and see where your vouchers are??? As if you shop there the most then you should have some sort of reward xx
    NEXT TARGET: Halifax credit card DEC 22 £0 / £4499.12
    POAMAYC 2011 £6378.35 POAMAYC 2012 £5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 £3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 £4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 £7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 £8000.90 POAMAYC 2017 £7278.80 POAMAYC 2018 £13208.18POAMAYC 2019 £13309.28 POAMAYC 2020 £15026.05
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    HH, I noticed that you mentioned buying bagels and sometimes having one for lunch. I've had bagels as snacks when on holidays in America but never bought them here. I always found them a bit hard and uninteresting but with toppings they were palatable. What do you do with yours? They might make a nice change from bread sandwiches or crispbreads that I tend to use for home made snacks/lunches.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    teafor2 wrote: »
    In that case then I'd probably leave it until Friday afternoon and then give her a gentle nudge. xx
    Maybe you could mention how you’d like to factor any feedback into your next assignment
    Thanks both :). I'll give her a gentle reminder tomorrow.
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I shop online at Asda these days, as can't comfortably walk round a supermarket. But before that, I always shopped at Aldi. I went to Sainsburys for special things at Xmas, but otherwise if Aldi didn't sell it then we didn't eat it - quite simple really !! And you save loads of time because there are rarely more than 2 sorts of anything, so you don't waste time dithering over infinite choice.

Maybe I should try Lidl again next time I physically go to a supermarket.
    Noella wrote: »
    Lots of lovely talk about supermarkets and grocery shopping. really useful:T. I love your diary, HH:beer:

I'm a big Lidl fan but there isn't one within about 25 miles of us and after I've factored in the cost of the petrol I wouldn't be saving anything by shopping there, including time. I do like the limited choice in places like that actually, once I've worked out what we like. Sometimes the shelves full of options in the massive supermarkets are mind-blowing and always makes a real-life shop in one full of anxiety for me somehow. Never tried an Aldi so must see if there's one anywhere nearer than the Lidl.

The vouchers I get are usually £x off a £40 or £50 shop. Morrisons usually send 4000 or 5000 More Points (worth £4 or £5 each time). Sainsburys often send £8 or £9 off a £50 shop:j. Easy for me to spend that much if it's a main 'shop', beanielou, especially if I stock up on laundry stuff which seems to be a major drain on my money wherever I shop:(. Wilkos often have that sort of thing cheaper but if the supermarkets have an 'event' on it often works out the same and saves me having to go out to get it anyway.

Why don't you try the Morrison's home delivery, HH? But, if you haven't tried the products anyway you won't know whether you'll like them or not. I love Morrison's own brands, much nicer than those of the other supermarkets IMO. Our local Morrisons store is quite small, although the staff and everything about it are brilliant but the online orders come from a depot or larger store somewhere and I can get the full range of items that I can't when I shop in person.

Thanks you Noella :). I have tried a few of Mr M's product but have always felt I preferred Mr T ones. The Mr M near us is quite small though and generally a bit useless. Knowing my luck the online delivery would come from that one!
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I find I am much better at being ruthless with an online delivery, taking stuff out till its where I want it to be.

I use it for the bulk/heavy stuff mostly though as too much bending/lifting is an issue. Home delivery avoids in the trolley, out of the trolley onto conveyor, back into trolley, out of trolley into car. I find big trolleys much harder as you have to bend further. I sound like an old lady, don't I? Well worth the fee, especially if I factor in petrol.

Supermarket shopping is quite tiring if you're buying 24 cans of coke or a six pack of water :eek: so deliveries are very good for that. We get the man to put them directly onto our kitchen table which is really helpful :).
    abba1772 wrote: »
    Can you not log on to Tesco clubcard and see where your vouchers are??? As if you shop there the most then you should have some sort of reward xx
    Mr T send me reward vouchers which I usually swop for restaurant vouchers, but they never send me the spend £40 and get £5 off type. My sister is always getting them because she's a Lidl lover and sends them to me ;).
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    HairyHandofDartmoor Posts: 13,960 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 May 2019 at 2:49PM
    Options
    Noella wrote: »
    HH, I noticed that you mentioned buying bagels and sometimes having one for lunch. I've had bagels as snacks when on holidays in America but never bought them here. I always found them a bit hard and uninteresting but with toppings they were palatable. What do you do with yours? They might make a nice change from bread sandwiches or crispbreads that I tend to use for home made snacks/lunches.

I just cut them in half and put margerine on them Noella :rotfl:. This is because I only have them when I'm on the go. But I'm sure you can think of some more creative options. If I'm eating at home I always have scrambled eggs on toast.

You could put cream cheese on them, houmous, or turn them into cheese toasties. These ideas are all contributed by DS1 :). DS1 also prefers sesame seed, or red onion and chive bagels as they taste more interesting.
  • teafor2
    teafor2 Posts: 3,322 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Afternoon HHD :) Hope work was good. Random question of the day - :D did you ever find a bag to pop your bits and bobs into? xx
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    On the subject of bagels my DD loves having ham on hers but they have to be the plain ones but DS and DH will usually eat anything on them.

Hope work was good today?
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    teafor2 wrote: »
    Afternoon HHD :) Hope work was good. Random question of the day - :D did you ever find a bag to pop your bits and bobs into? xx

Thanks TF2 :). I haven't looked for a bag yet, but I could maybe look for one at the weekend. I have't needed a sun hat yet and I've just been putting my sunglasses down on a table while I work indoors, so I think on reflection I can manage without a bag and save the money :).
    On the subject of bagels my DD loves having ham on hers but they have to be the plain ones but DS and DH will usually eat anything on them.

Hope work was good today?

Thanks Purplemum yes it was :).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure