Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Options

Comments

• daisy_1571
    daisy_1571 Posts: 1,230 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just cartwheeling in with some good news:j:j:j.

One of the creditors that I was waiting for a response from has just phoned me accepting my counter offer. They'd dismissed my initial one (not surprising as it was ridiculously low:o) and I'd dismissed their counter (not an unreasonable one but more than I wanted to pay;)). They came back and offered something in between (well, much nearer to my initial offer than theirs:j) and I'm happy to accept it. Works out at 30% payable so that's another one done and dusted by the end of the year. Still have 3 more to go but I'm much more cheerful about it all than I was even yesterday.

I'd asked them not to phone me and just communicate by post but I'm really pleased now that he did phone as we could agree on the deal without a lot more timewasting and he's sending out the confirmation letter today. With a bit of luck I should get that paid by the weekend:j. Now I'm just waiting on the slowcoaches who can't be bothered to even acknowledge my offers. I understand from the DMP Support thread that they are rubbish communicators:( so I'm just having to be uncharacteristically patient.

I hope everyone is having a good day:beer:. It's amazing how good news and the sun making a rare appearance (although I had to scrape ice off the car windscreen early this morning:eek:) have done wonders to lift my spirits.

Good news CBC, so glad you bit the bullet and contacted them all

Daisy xx
    2022: 3🏅 4⭐ 2023: 5🎖🏅🏅 🎖🏅6 ⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Take hold of every moment - anon I'm a clutterbug butterfly 🦋 The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If you aren't already using something in your home, you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney
  • daisy_1571
    edited 4 December 2018 at 11:33PM
    Options
    Daisy,

I love your percentage system, very clever and something I might try to adapt to my own use:T:beer:

You're very welcome. All my ideas are only suggestions scattered out to the winds for whoever needs them, adapt away CBC

Daisy xx
    2022: 3🏅 4⭐ 2023: 5🎖🏅🏅 🎖🏅6 ⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Take hold of every moment - anon I'm a clutterbug butterfly 🦋 The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If you aren't already using something in your home, you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney
  • daisy_1571
    Options
    I've had a busy day today!

I assembled and decorated our tabletop Christmas tree for the kitchen, wrote a letter to my niece, met stepdad for coffee in town, bought bananas and chocolate coins to top up the advent calendar, posted my letter, assembled the big Christmas tree, hung lights around the living room picture rail, hung lights around the kitchen ceiling, and worked out which bills need paying.

I felt tired and stressed after putting up all the Christmas lights. I like the decorations when they're up, but I hate putting them up, I get all hot and bothered :mad:.

We got most of the money today from the sale DH made yesterday :T :T :T. It's not enough to cover all the bills, but we paid £65 to NPow3r, £104 to an urgent business bill from November, £60 for a business bill for December. We have enough left to pay the car insurance tomorrow, the weekly food bill and £100 left for emergencies :).

There should be more to come next week which should cover another £90 to NPow3r and our water bill for November.

We're watching a Christmas film now called 'The Holiday Calendar' :xmassmile.

Busy day indeed, I've been to the dentist and out for a meal with family and I'm exhausted. Still grieving I suppose and it fair takes its toll as you know all too well. Anyway I really wanted to say that's great news. That's a customer to cultivate as they paid up straightaway. Must help relieve your mind a bit knowing 2 more things are paid and some money for emergencies put away (I'm assuming you put away tax/ni/vat money off the top of all monies in and only use the rest) so great news. Fingers xd for next weeks payment to arrive on time too.

Daisy xx
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Thanks Daisy it is a massive relief and you're right that they are a good customer :).
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • daisy_1571
    Options
    Hh sorry for multiposts - brain not thinking straight tonight and I meant to add - squirrel some of that £100 away for your 'back to work' fund. You are bound to need bus fares for interviews and then getting back and forward to work for a month or potentially 6 weeks before you get your first pay (depending on how good their pay sytem/ admin systems are) plus possibly clothes or other equipment to get you started - dont leave yourself unable to support the actual process of getting to start a job as that would be very depressing.

Daisy xx
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    Can I just ask, do you put the bananas in the advent calendar or just the coins:rotfl:

Well done DH on his business dealings and that customer for paying their bill,I don't understand people who don't pay for services straight away,when I had by heating control fixed the electrician sent me the bill about two days later and I paid it that day,he messaged me back to say thank you for paying promptly which I thought was nice,I will definitely use him again if I need any more electrical work done and I will expect to pay straight away
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    All good ideas Daisy :). I hope the money can stay as an emergency fund, it depends upon how much money we can bring in in the rest of December.

I should have enough work clothes as I look quite smart for volunteering, maybe one more pair of trousers, but I have plenty of smart tops (I bought several smart tops with the pension money, as I've been planning in advance to get a job for a few years now).
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Can I just ask, do you put the bananas in the advent calendar or just the coins:rotfl:

Well done DH on his business dealings and that customer for paying their bill,I don't understand people who don't pay for services straight away,when I had by heating control fixed the electrician sent me the bill about two days later and I paid it that day,he messaged me back to say thank you for paying promptly which I thought was nice,I will definitely use him again if I need any more electrical work done and I will expect to pay straight away

Just the coins :rotfl: :rotfl:.

You wouldn't believe what some customers are like :eek:. It took us six months to get paid once :mad:. We had to ring them every day after a while, until they eventually paid :mad:. Luckily most customers aren't that bad!
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,137 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    One of the creditors that I was waiting for a response from has just phoned me accepting my counter offer.
    Great news, will do some cartwheels on your behalf! :j
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,137 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I've had a busy day today!

I assembled and decorated our tabletop Christmas tree for the kitchen, wrote a letter to my niece, met stepdad for coffee in town, bought bananas and chocolate coins to top up the advent calendar, posted my letter, assembled the big Christmas tree, hung lights around the living room picture rail, hung lights around the kitchen ceiling, and worked out which bills need paying.

I think I need to lie down with a glass of something restorative. I feel quite exhausted reading all that!
    We got most of the money today from the sale DH made yesterday :T :T :T. It's not enough to cover all the bills, but we paid £65 to NPow3r, £104 to an urgent business bill from November, £60 for a business bill for December. We have enough left to pay the car insurance tomorrow, the weekly food bill and £100 left for emergencies :).

There should be more to come next week which should cover another £90 to NPow3r and our water bill for November.

I'm so pleased :)
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport