Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Options

Comments

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments :).

Nice to hear from you @Crazycatlady2 and thanks for your kind comments :). Being self-employed is really tough I think. I'm sorry about the relatives you have lost recently.

I don't know if we would be able to get a mortgage fix as our credit reputation isn't great due to a small income and us not having any credit. The recent interest rate rise made our mortgage go up by about £4 a month. Maybe we should inquire about a fix just in case they say yes.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • BalanceBy50
    Options
    Lovely to hear from you Hairy and I am sorry your half term didn't go to plan.

I would definitely speak to your current mortgage provider.  We have a DMP and a rubbish credit rating and struggled to pay the mortgage 3/4 years ago which resulted in late payments and arrangement to pay markers on our credit file however summer 20 I applied for a fixed rate and got it and as a result I was paying £60 less a month on my mortgage payments so go for it - you have nothing to lose! xx
  • milann
    milann Posts: 10,603 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That’s a bit unfair over your half term Hairy. Get some experience and whatever certification you can whilst carrying on looking for something else if need be……
    January spends - £587.58
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,155 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 28 February 2022 at 4:54PM
    Options
    Hello @HairyHandofDartmoor, lovely to hear from you. Sorry to hear you have been poorly on top of the wretched covid. It seems a bit of a cheek to expect you to do work-related training courses in your own time. I suppose the positive thing is that you have passed all those online modules & can include them on your CV. And naturally you have another tricky child - a biter this time! Hope you are enjoying being with the rest of the children. 
    I can't really add any pearls of wisdom or thoughts regarding mortgage fixes. I've never had a fixed mortgage.....but I can remember the letters arriving back in the 1990s every time there was an interest rate rise. I didn't have a mortgage back in the Thatcher years when the interests rates hit 15 - 16%, thankfully. Some of my friends did, but I wasn't able to buy a house because they all shot up in price while I was back at Uni for a year doing my Masters. I think with interest rate rises, it's the unknown, isn't it? A fix feels more secure because at least it provides the knowledge that the monthly amount can't go up any more than that at least for a while. Do you have much longer to go on your mortgage, Hairy? We were only able to pay ours off because I inherited some money when I lost my Mum & Dad. Otherwise, we'd still have nearly 6 years left to pay. 
    Anyway, m'dear, nice to hear from you. Take care now.
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    You definitely have nothing to lose by looking into whether a fix is available to you HH - there can only be two answers, and one of them would be excellent news! 

Also delighted to hear you got the self isolation grant! 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,239 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I recently fixed my mortgage and didn't even have to speak to them.  If you have access to your mortgage online, it's worth having a look.  Mine just had a section where it said offers available to me, I chose the one I wanted and that was it.

There's definitely nothing to lose by asking. 

I hope the chest infection clears up properly soon.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,429 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Great news that you got the grant. That’s not good being expected to do all those courses in your own time. On the plus side they’re done now - but still 😟 Sorry to hear you’ve been unwell, I wonder if the Covid is lingering your chest. 
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure