Help Me Keep Warm This Winter

Options
I live in a 1 bed private rented flat, the flat has storage heaters which are useless to me as the heat is good in the morning till afternoon but seems to be poor when I get home in the evening when I most need it.

The windows are single glazed and are not all that so its not the best insulated property.

What would be the best type of portable heater that I could use in my living room during the evening to keep the area comfortable without costing me a fortune in electricity.

I can shut my living room door to keep heat in once I get a heater, the room size is 5m X 3m.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    This has been covered recently on this forum.

All electrical heaters cost exactly the same to run(for the same heat output).

So fan heater, oil filled radiator, 1/2/3 bar fire - there is no cost advantage for any of them
  • antilles
    antilles Posts: 363 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Also consider doing other things as well as trying to heat the room. Being a rented property, there may not be much you can do in terms of alterations.

DIY Secondary glazing is fairly cheap to fit and will stop a lot of draughts and keep more heat in.
    Draught excluders on doors - if you can't fit them then use those snake things you put at the bottom of the door to stop draughts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure