cheapest internet-only service?

Hi,

I am relatively new to the country, and never installed/purchased internet… I just moved to a new place, I wanted to purchase the cheapest internet service…

I saw many cashback deals, but, they were mainly when you apply for internet + tv + extras. I only need internet service, which one is the cheapest service?

The question may sound odd, but with so many companies I do not know which one to choose… I live in sw11, London.

Comments

• iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,072 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Unless you have access to a niche provider, Virgin Media (cable) are the only company that provide broadband only service, most other ISP's require you to take a phone service to 'host' the broadband service, but 'stand alone' VM broadband is no cheaper than many other company's phone/broadband bundles, if cheapest is what you want , try a comparison site, but careful when choosing, some company's are cheap for a reason
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    You can have broadband only with Plusnet, but you would still need a landline with BT.

https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/broadband-only/
  • Sparx
    Sparx Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Depends you may have access to some of the niche fibre companies I.e. Hyperoptic try their website see if it’s available.

Otherwise put your address on BT’s wholesale checker website. If you could post up the results (blank your address obviously) and it’ll help us point you in the right direction for what service would suit you best.

https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

It would also help to know what you will use the internet for? Are you a heavy downloader or streamer (YouTube Netflix etc) or game online? Do you need fibre speeds etc. Or is it just to have basic internet access for emails and general browsing shopping etc?
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Vodafone fibre is the cheapest at the moment. £20 month.
  • There was Sky in the house previously, so there is a landline.

My problem now is that all offers I saw are 18-month contract... And I may end-up moving out after 12 months...

Are all contracts 18 months? What would be the cheapest 12-month contract?
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Contracts are 12 18 and 24 months dependent upon the deal .
    Current BT deals have 12 month contracts .
    https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband-packages/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport