MSE News: E.on set to scrap standard variable tariffs

Options
E.on has announced it is to scrap its standard variable tariff for many customers from next year, replacing it with a cheaper one-year fix with no exit fees - though you'll need to have a smart meter or already be on a fixed tariff to benefit...
Read the full story:
'E.on set to scrap standard variable tariffs for those with smart meters or a fixed deal'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 22 September 2017 at 3:16PM
    Options
    Already being discussed here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5715264

Come on MSE Megan F, keep up at the back. :)
  • fredandwilma
    Options
    gsmlnx wrote: »
    Already being discussed here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5715264

Come on MSE Megan F, keep up at the back. :)

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Can i have a helping with a news story badge, please? :D
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
  • Mchambers
    Mchambers Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    Options
    Yawn..I have transferred from BG recently to EON.

I will NEVER go to a Smart meter.

It has now been several years since someone came round to take readings. I am sure that they are supposed to come round to take readings but 'AM I BOTHERED ?' Er no:rotfl::rotfl:!
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Options
    E.on has announced it is to scrap its standard variable tariff for many customers from next year, replacing it with a cheaper one-year fix with no exit fees - though you'll need to have a smart meter or already be on a fixed tariff to benefit...
    Read the full story:
    'E.on set to scrap standard variable tariffs for those with smart meters or a fixed deal'
    OfficialStamp.gif
    Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Hello MSE Megan F and just a quick heads up.

Andrew's article, whilst mainly a fair reflection of our announcement yesterday about the replacement of the SVT with a fixed term tariff for our smart meter customers, does talk about this also applying to customers with classic meters. This isn't the case at the moment.

To be clear, although we’re working on options for customers with classic meters, yesterday's announcement concerns only those with smart meters or waiting for a smart meter to be fitted. At this point, it doesn't include customers with classic meters whether on fixed tariffs or not. This is something we're still looking at.

Hope this clarifies the situation Megan.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Consumerist
    Options
    "However, this isn't only about smart metering customers. . ."
    So it is about getting customers on to smart meters then. :eek:
    . . . by hook or by crook whilst there's money to be made from the government's push to install meters which will probably need to be replaced at even more cost to customers.

Money for old rope for the energy industry, if you ask me. But then I'm a customer and nobody will ask me.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • Caddyman
    Options
    Mchambers wrote: »

It has now been several years since someone came round to take readings. I am sure that they are supposed to come round to take readings but 'AM I BOTHERED ?' Er no:rotfl::rotfl:!

I believe that the energy companies are required to check both gas and electric meters bi-annually at the very least as some sort of 'safety inspection' as well as reading the meter to ensure that they're not being 'ripped off'. I'm with Npower and although I do submit regular monthly readings (yes, over the top for some, but it works for me!), they still come and check/read the meters every 18 months or so, though the so called 'saftey inspection' part appears to be a bit of a joke, as I've personally never seen a qualified person 'check' the meters for 'safety' except the plumber I use, who during the boiler service does check for any leaks from the gas meter.

As for customers who are on energy company's SVT's, well this is by and far because seemingly, they are too lazy to swap tariffs. I watched a consumer program just a few weeks ago and the question was put to several consumers who admitted they were on their suppliers SVT and quite simply, they just couldn't be bothered to even ask to be moved to a more cheaper tariff. Quite simply, it's their choice to wallow in their own apathy. How it can be so difficult for some people just to pick up the phone, call a free phone number, discuss their energy bill and be moved onto a cheaper tariff, is anyone's guess.

As for smart meters, I actually would like smart meters installed, but my own supplier is being so slow in rolling them out in my area, I'll most likely be waiting for another 4 years anyway! My local water authority on the other hand, well they're actively swapping everyone's water meter to a smart meter. Mine was swapped within two days of me getting a letter!
  • House_Martin
    Options
    Caddyman wrote: »
    I believe that the energy companies are required to check both gas and electric meters bi-annually at the very least as some sort of 'safety inspection' as well as reading the meter to ensure that they're not being 'ripped off'. I'm with Npower and although I do submit regular monthly readings (yes, over the top for some, but it works for me!), they still come and check/read the meters every 18 months or so, though the so called 'saftey inspection' part appears to be a bit of a joke, as I've personally never seen a qualified person 'check' the meters for 'safety' except the plumber I use, who during the boiler service does check for any leaks from the gas meter.

As for customers who are on energy company's SVT's, well this is by and far because seemingly, they are too lazy to swap tariffs. I watched a consumer program just a few weeks ago and the question was put to several consumers who admitted they were on their suppliers SVT and quite simply, they just couldn't be bothered to even ask to be moved to a more cheaper tariff. Quite simply, it's their choice to wallow in their own apathy. How it can be so difficult for some people just to pick up the phone, call a free phone number, discuss their energy bill and be moved onto a cheaper tariff, is anyone's guess.

As for smart meters, I actually would like smart meters installed, but my own supplier is being so slow in rolling them out in my area, I'll most likely be waiting for another 4 years anyway! My local water authority on the other hand, well they're actively swapping everyone's water meter to a smart meter. Mine was swapped within two days of me getting a letter!
    Safety inspections is also code for "fiddle " checks and there is certainly enough people out there tampering with meters, business and domestic customers.
    Once someone starts to start taking gas meters off, substituting or tampering with the innards of the prepayment mechanicals the gas meter can and has very often become a time bomb taking out the whole house and the neighbours too..hence the wording "safety check "
    Gas- safe engineers dont have the foggiest ideas about how gas meters are fiddled or the tell tale signs of gas meter tampers, and they are not bothered neither even if they come across them. .I ve never met one yet who has any idea so their checks on gas boilers and fires mean absolutely nothing when it comes to the meters themselves..
    The electric meters are even more likely to be tampered with especially prepayment meters and likewise landlord/electrician checks dont mean anything because none of them know or care about their tenants meter fiddles so long as there is no comeback to them.
    Suppliers and the DNOs as well have a right to inspect the meters at whatever times they deem fit although the foreign suppliers like EDF and Scottish Power are useless at doing proper safety checks because they ignore what OFGEM say and just do it how they see fit.
    I do safety checks for BG, EDF and SP.. BG do it properly but those other two are hopeless and rarely send us out on "must reads " and "safety checks " and cut costs by ignoring OFGEMS rulings as far as mandatory safety checks go.
  • Caddyman
    Options
    Safety inspections is also code for "fiddle " checks and there is certainly enough people out there tampering with meters, business and domestic customers.
    Once someone starts to start taking gas meters off, substituting or tampering with the innards of the prepayment mechanicals the gas meter can and has very often become a time bomb taking out the whole house and the neighbours too..hence the wording "safety check "
    Gas- safe engineers dont have the foggiest ideas about how gas meters are fiddled or the tell tale signs of gas meter tampers, and they are not bothered neither even if they come across them. .I ve never met one yet who has any idea so their checks on gas boilers and fires mean absolutely nothing when it comes to the meters themselves..
    The electric meters are even more likely to be tampered with especially prepayment meters and likewise landlord/electrician checks dont mean anything because none of them know or care about their tenants meter fiddles so long as there is no comeback to them.
    Suppliers and the DNOs as well have a right to inspect the meters at whatever times they deem fit although the foreign suppliers like EDF and Scottish Power are useless at doing proper safety checks because they ignore what OFGEM say and just do it how they see fit.
    I do safety checks for BG, EDF and SP.. BG do it properly but those other two are hopeless and rarely send us out on "must reads " and "safety checks " and cut costs by ignoring OFGEMS rulings as far as mandatory safety checks go.

I realise gas safe engineers don't check for 'fiddling', after all, that's not their job. My old gas meter is a standard one and my plumber just does a 'sniff' test around the meter when he comes to service the boiler. As for the electric meter, it made me laugh when we first had a free plug in power useage display. You have to clip a radio sender bit to the main electric cable in the meter box. The first time the meter was supposedly 'inspected' and read by a meter reader, he gruffly said 'What's this!?' until I explained to him what it was. I had to actually show him the power meter, unclip the radio sender before I could shut him up. Obviously well trained!

I'm more worried about eventually having a new gas meter installed by someone who perhaps isn't even a certified gas engineer, but I guess someone will come along and try to put my over active and over imaginitive mind at rest. ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/5THjNWMjNdKyWwCXt48HJNB/smart-meter-installations
    Options
    Mchambers wrote: »

Don't worry Mchambers. Smart meters are optional. You don't have to agree to have one if you don't want to.

As Caddyman says, it's unusual for meters not to be seen for several years. As you've only recently switched to us, thought it might help to let you know our approach to this.

In most areas, for residential customers, we attempt to read meters once every 6 months. Although, where customers give us readings online, we won't visit as often. Here, we'll only ask to see the meter if we haven't had access within the last 18 months. This will be a little different for customers on our Priority Services Register where we've set up a separate arrangement.

We're always keen to have actual meter readings and provide various ways for customers to send them. As well as online through our website, customers can send them through our phone app, Live Chat service, by phone or text, email or letter. The more readings we have, the more accurate accounts are.

Welcome to E.ON Mchambers and hope this is of interest.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    Options
    So it is about getting customers on to smart meters then. :eek:
    . . . by hook or by crook whilst there's money to be made from the government's push to install meters which will probably need to be replaced at even more cost to customers.

Money for old rope for the energy industry, if you ask me. But then I'm a customer and nobody will ask me.

Morning Consumerist.

Initially, the announcement we made last week about the replacement of the SVT with a fixed term tariff, is for our smart meter customers. We are, though, looking at options for our classic/traditional meter customers on fixed tariffs and we'll be letting them know of our plans further down the line. Sorry, but I don't have a time frame for this yet.

Malc
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure