This Duo's debt free journey

Options

Comments

• DebtFreeDuo
    DebtFreeDuo Posts: 1,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I really don't want him to make the same mistakes that I have, I know that they have taught me some valuable lessons but if I can just make it habit for him to save then he can avoid it all together.

Today has been very productive with uni work, I have 6 exams in January and a lot of content to catch up on. This week I am going to try and have a plan of action for each module put together and have all of my notes up to date. I want to feel prepared enough by Christmas so that I can have Christmas day and Boxing day completely off from studying.

This week

[STRIKE]IM module - Notes and plan of action[/STRIKE] Done
    TM module - Notes and plan of action
    FC module - Notes and plan of action
    VA module - Notes and plan of action
    MT module - Notes and plan of action
    AS module - Plan of action
    Change the way you see things and the things you see will change
  • DebtFreeDuo
    Options
    I think I have mentioned this gentleman before but there is a kind old man who lives on our street who gives £1 to the younger children he sees, today he gave DS £1 who then came to me and said 'look mummy I can put this in my money bank', the gentleman heard him so gave him another £1 for sweets. I have told DS that we will put £1 in to the SPC and he can spend the other on sweeties when we go to the shops. When I open my sealed pot I plan on giving DS and myself 10% each of whatever is in there so he will get it back but then he can decide what he wants to do with his 10% (within reason of course).
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    Good planning there - I'm hugely in favour of the idea of teaching children about budgeting from a really young age - they CAN understand that if they have 40p they can buy a small packet of sweets whereas if they wait a few days until they have twice that they can buy a chocolate bar - and simple stuff like that is such a good incentive! Well done DFD!
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • DebtFreeDuo
    Options
    I was explaining to him yesterday that he can save up to buy bigger things like toys etc, his response was 'so I can buy 1 sweet and 2 toys', currently each coin means one item but he will get there. He's just such a little sweetheart.

Went out to have a browse today and just didn't find anything that I liked, I thought I might find a nice top to wear for Christmas with the money I received for Christmas but I didn't see a single thing. I find that whenever I do have a little money there is nothing I want, when I don't have money I find loads.
  • Willowtree222
    Options
    thats always the way! I find that too!
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options

Went out to have a browse today and just didn't find anything that I liked, I thought I might find a nice top to wear for Christmas with the money I received for Christmas but I didn't see a single thing. I find that whenever I do have a little money there is nothing I want, when I don't have money I find loads.

That happens to me too and by the time I do have money they've sold out of my size or have stopped doing the itemI liked completely :mad:.

Are you spending Christmas with family DFD?
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • DebtFreeDuo
    Options
    Yes we are, DS will come back to me around lunch time and then I am heading to my dads. I have decided that DS can wait until boxing day for his presents so that he can still have that wake up, go downstairs and see all the presents. His reaction is wonderful, just stands there staring at the presents daying 'wow'.
  • Willowtree222
    Options
    I love their faces when they see things. The light up, it's just so beautiful.

Are you sorted for everything now? x

Starting afresh.

• DebtFreeDuo
    Options
    I am all sorted although I have a friend that has spent a fortune on DS and I haven't got him much in comparison so I feel really bad that he's going to think its all rubbish!
  • Willowtree222
    Options
    I'm sure he'll appreciate everything and understand that you are studying x

Starting afresh.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income