PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

"Fair and Honest Property Advice" - Are they scammers?

Options

Comments

• clarkster
    Options
    Just to echo what maxs says - I'm in the same situation and am registered with E&M with a dedicated email.

It's actually a very well targeted scam since I immediately agreed with the contents and thought "yes they are ripoffs", normally I send these things straight to the bin but had to check it out in this case.
  • e_un48
    Options
    Are E&M linked at all with EDGE Properties ??
  • Nadia1Isidro
    Options
    Did anyone actually buy this guide? I would really like to know if it does exist. These charges are ridiculously high. I have 3 flats and neither of the other two have charges like this. I particularly hate paying hundreds of pounds to just notify them of a new tenancy!
  • maxs
    Options
    I'll be honest, I did consider it at first. £12 isn't much if it is genuine and can save hundreds but then it's not exactly money saving either, to throw money away if it's a scam! (Although I definitely wouldn't send the money via BACS)

Just out of interest, I sent a reply to the email with some questions. So far no reply, though I don't expect one. The email was well put together but the more I think about it, various things make me pretty sure it's a ruse.
  • benlypage
    Options
    I assume everyone agrees E&M are rip off merchants and quote such a lot of jargon that we end up paying them. When our lease was sold by Taylor Woodrow we were told we needed 60% of the owners to agree to buy otherwise they would be sold off. As there are 60 flats in our development that was a massive task.
    Is there any way to buy our lease and cut out E&M, they are hated by everyone I know.
  • jenmachine
    Options
    This is a weird one because if 'she' isn't replying to anybody's emails surely nobody has the bank details and so couldn't pay her even if they wanted to?

It is a very convincing email though if it's a scam. I paid for a 'new' tenant a few months ago even though I informed them in 2014 it was being let out. I spoke to someone at E&M who said I needed to put the initial terms of the tenancy on the form, not the rolling terms. This was 6 months. They now say I need to pay a renewal charge for every 6 months my tenant has lived there. Since I questioned it I've not heard anything back so they clearly just go for the easy money and fleece people who don't ask questions. Don't even want the flat to be honest but with companies like this and the management company (Town & City Management who are just as bad) I can't see anyone wanting to buy it.

Sorry, most of that was irrelevant, I was just enjoying the rant :rotfl:
  • Ken135
    Options
    I've received this message but the email address it wasn't sent to isn't the one I use for E&M but a different one that I use for Warwick Lite (part of Warwick Estates Property Management) so they might be the source of the email address. I agree the email appears to come from France.

Warwick Lite were appointed by E&M last year to check/maintain communal areas. However I, and many other leaseholders on the same estate, received demands for maisonettes which don't have any communal areas. These demands include suspiciously high admin charges with no explanation of how they were incurred. At the end of August 2017 I queried the entire invoice and asked for more detail, copies of the health and safety/fire risk assesment we are being charged for. Needless to say I've had no reply. Warwick Lite appears to be as good as E&M, who overcharged me in 2005. I've no intention of responding to this dubious email. Note the "PLEASE READ" in the subject line - block capitals is often a warning sign that an email is scam, hoax etc.
  • TheAceOfClubs
    Options
    I'm not really that bothered about her trying to scam £12 off people for a guide book that may or may not exist and may or may not be sent.

And I'm not that bothered about whether E&M's charges are expensive or not.

The main concern is that this woman has obtained a list of the email addresses of E&M customers in what seems to be a serious breach of the Data Protection Act.

I can only assume that she has stolen the E&M customer list, either by hacking or maybe as an employee/ex-employee of E&M, or that E&M have disclosed this confidential information either accidentally through poor security or deliberately by selling it to her.

So far I have:-

Emailed her on Enquiries.fahpa (at) outlook.com demanding to know how she got the information that I may be an E&M customer and how she got my email address - She hasn't replied.

Emailed her from a friend's email on remittance.fahpa (at) outlook.com asking for her BACS details in the hope this may help tracing her - She hasn't replied.

Emailed E&M with a copy of the email asking how this breach of the Data Protection Act has occurred - They haven't replied

Contacted Action Fraud and filled in a complaint. I have received an automated acknowledgement that my complaint has been received.

Tried to find details of Sarah Lane from LinkedIn - haven't found anything useful.

However when I click the link to LinkedIn from her original email, I now get a message saying
    " We have found suspicious activities in this client's account, and his account has been permanently closed along with its content.
    Please be advised and carefully proceed with any mail sent from this user.
    SendinBlue abuse desk.
    abuse_account (at) sendinblue.com

Please include the current page in your email.
    [FONT=&quot](link to page)

So it looks like the reports to Sendinblue about her spam emails have had some effect there...
    [/FONT]
  • steveh60
    Options
    Called E&M who advised they are aware and investigating & asked me to forward "Fair and Honest Property Advice" email to operations@e-m.uk.com
    Interestingly E&M advised me that they have never held the email address from which I received this 'offer'! So not sure how F&HPA would know I have an E&M account???
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure