PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

New Build not as per plan

Options

Comments

• BBSB
    BBSB Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Yes you're totally right. Thank you.
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    I'm just wondering if there's another house type that is the same bar this 2nd window.

if there is then it may be something as simple as the builder making a mistake
  • glasgowdan
    Options
    They CAN retrofit a window so I would be expecting them to do this.
  • BBSB
    Options
    It would be such a pain now though. It's practically finished, rendered and painted externally, plastered and painted internally. It might set us back for completion and we can't wait any longer than the proposed end of October date we've been given.
  • BBSB
    Options
    I think it is just a mistake yes. :(
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    glasgowdan wrote: »
    They CAN retrofit a window so I would be expecting them to do this.
    I wouldn't expect them to do it if they're not contractually required to. I suppose you could try asking nicely.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Check the local planning portal for the plans that were approved and if any applications to change were made.

I am seeing on a development near us planning apps for changes like windows and other external appearance to the buildings.
  • Bean83
    Bean83 Posts: 248 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Something similar happened to a friend of mine - they demanded compensation of some sort and managed to get a couple of freebies thrown in (I think it was some landscaping of the gardens?) So don't let it ruin the experience for you (after all, it's only a window and not the end of the world), but I would definitely kick up a fuss and see if you can get something out of them!!
  • SuboJvR
    Options
    I'd definitely be flagging it, it's disappointing for sure but if it is a mistake then they should be trying to compensate you somehow by way of apology, have a think about what you may like - any other extras that could still be added, garden work as above is a good one as it's outside!

Are you sure that there were't multiple variations of your house type as well? Some of the houses we have looked at, had for example four all built the same way but then one specific house may have had something like an extra window or a door in a different place due to its location plot-wise. And on our development, some specific plots have things like bat houses built into the garages under the roof but not in the actual human traffic area! :)
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Do you *really* want that window? How is the light in the room? Are you missing out on much without it? I ask because we have one very large window and one smaller window in our bedroom and the smaller one is a pain as it restricts where we can put furniture.

I would use the lack of the window as a bargaining chip to get something else you want (something useful or that will make your life nicer) but I wouldn't argue too strongly in favour of adding the window now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure