£500 in credit with Br.Gas

Options
13»

Comments

• The_Big_Bamboo
    Options
    Quick update for anyone remotely interested.

My switch to Avro from Br.Gas was completed;..as of 10.10.17 I’m now an Avro Energy customer.

However, despite already being £498 in credit with Br.Gas they’ve taken a further £130! from my account by D/D on 9th October,…that’s just 1 day before the ‘official’ switch!

They really are taking the p***. :mad:

p.s. as of 10.00am this morning my Br.Gas ‘Smart energy monitor’ has ceased to function. Well, the ‘Gas’ side of it is now defunct so I assume the ‘Electricity’ will follow shortly.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options

My switch to Avro from Br.Gas was completed;..as of 10.10.17 I’m now an Avro Energy customer.

However, despite already being £498 in credit with Br.Gas they’ve taken a further £130! from my account by D/D on 9th October,…that’s just 1 day before the ‘official’ switch!

p.s. as of 10.00am this morning my Br.Gas ‘Smart energy monitor’ has ceased to function. Well, the ‘Gas’ side of it is now defunct so I assume the ‘Electricity’ will follow shortly.

They are not. Transfers do not always go through on time and until BG gets verified final readings, it’s system will treat you as a customer. You will get all your money back. All suppliers would do the same thing.
  • Enceladus
    Options
    I too was on the 2017 BG collective fix that ended 3rd Oct. Likewise I switched out and ended with a significant credit balance with BG. However the balance is an illusion created because BG haven't debited any charges since April. I was expecting a dual fuel bill in July but it never materialised. Once I had switched out I got a final bill for gas which consumed some of the balance, however none for electricity as yet. Once the bill arrives I expect to be about even.
  • bobstheboy
    Options

You could have managed the switch better. I changed and was in credit. I spoke to BG and asked them to stop my DD, which they agreed to do. I pointed out that if they took my DD for September I would be paying to them and Bulb and that would be an expensive month. I had no trouble during the switch and got my refund in a reasonable time, about 3 weeks after the switch date.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I switched from the BG collective to OVO 2 year deal on 26 Sept. Large credit after final gas bill and still £200+ credit after final electricity bill(2 weeks later). Refund is in my bank.
  • The_Big_Bamboo
    Options
    bobstheboy wrote: »
    You could have managed the switch better. I changed and was in credit. I spoke to BG and asked them to stop my DD, which they agreed to do. I pointed out that if they took my DD for September I would be paying to them and Bulb and that would be an expensive month. I had no trouble during the switch and got my refund in a reasonable time, about 3 weeks after the switch date.
    Well done. Thanks for that.

Here's a radical idea;...perhaps Br.Gas could have done what they promised and managed my account/switch better!....especially the £498 credit that they built-up since they fitted my Smart meters.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What have you done about it? Have you contacted the bank and got them to claw back the £130, which should be easy considering your large positive balance and the fact you are switching. You don't say when your last bill was, if you are in credit by £498 but your last bill was june/july then most likely it will be eaten up when they do the final bill.

I've had a completely different B G experience, on my annual review they refunded any credit I had to leave my balance at £0. The DD has continued until I switched. Did you not have an annual reviw, or did you switch before it?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    nic_c wrote: »
    What have you done about it? Have you contacted the bank and got them to claw back the £130, which should be easy considering your large positive balance and the fact you are switching. You don't say when your last bill was, if you are in credit by £498 but your last bill was june/july then most likely it will be eaten up when they do the final bill.

I've had a completely different B G experience, on my annual review they refunded any credit I had to leave my balance at £0. The DD has continued until I switched. Did you not have an annual reviw, or did you switch before it?

There are no grounds to ‘claw back the £130’ from the Bank. They will have made payments in line with BACS’ procedures. A credit balance is meaningless until it is based on an actual reading or Final Bill. Suppliers will pay back all credit: that said, some will play the 6 weeks to Final Bill card to maintain cash flow (which, in turn, means lower prices due to reduced borrowing costs).
  • bobstheboy
    Options
    Well done. Thanks for that.

Here's a radical idea;...perhaps Br.Gas could have done what they promised and managed my account/switch better!....especially the £498 credit that they built-up since they fitted my Smart meters.

You stated in a previous post that it was probably your fault the credit had built up because of your lack of attention. Blame BG all you like but sometimes you have to take action to ensure these things don't happen. Sorry my comment upset you but truth hurts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure