IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Posting a query off board

Options
13»

Comments

• Ryandavis1959
    Options
    Thanks. The reference starts with a 3 and it's Premier Park. Are they likely to offer me the chance to pay the reduced price (i.e. The charge I would have paid if I'd paid promptly) before they actually progress to court (it seems they do go to court from other forum posts)? I parked by mistake (premises had changed hands and I hadn't noticed) and when I went to check was told by the manager that he'd cancel the fine - I'd have paid the initial charge willingly, he offered to do this without me asking. my objection is to the additional £75 that I incurred because the manager lied repeatedly . The company was completely unhelpful (unfortunately I did it all in person so have no written proof) and the new manager gave me a letter that would theoretically get me off the hook because he saw I'd been treated unfairly and wanted to do something to help. It's frustrating as i would have just paid up if I hadn't been told it would be cancelled, instead it's costing an extra £75 and a lot of stress.
    If this simple matter is causing you stress,then I certainly wouldn’t recommend that you submit a document you know to be false to the court,unless you fancy taking your toothbrush to court with you!
    If you were not the driver write to the parking firm and tell them who was so they CANNOT hold you liable. The person who was driving the car is responsible so let them deal with it. Not you! Don’t let people with an agenda tell you otherwise.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,911 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Jerseymonkey, you read the recent comments about 20 minutes ago.

Why have you totally ignored the suggestion that Fruitcake made at 09:47?
  • Jerseymonkey
    Options
    KeithP - because I don't have access to a laptop at the moment and the edit function isn't working properly on my phone. I will when I can.

I have no desire to go to court as I've said previously. I just want to know how the process works so I know whether to just pay now to avoid any further costs and hassle (I don't want to reach a point where I end up with more costs as I have no intention of going to court so will end up paying them if it gets to that point). So basically:
    A) is there likely to be a final settlement claim for the lower amount?
    B) if not, is there a chance to pay up and pull out of court proceedings if they start without paying more or a clear and genuine indicator that they will proceed that will give me s chance to pay if necessary?
  • Jerseymonkey
    Options
    KeithP - because I don't have access to a laptop at the moment and the edit function isn't working properly on my phone. I will when I can.

I have no desire to go to court as I've said previously. I just want to know how the process works so I know whether to just pay now to avoid any further costs and hassle (I don't want to reach a point where I end up with more costs as I have no intention of going to court so will end up paying them if it gets to that point). So basically:
    B) if not, is there a chance to pay up and pull out of court proceedings if they start without paying more or a clear and genuine indicator that they will proceed that will give me s chance to pay if necessary?
  • KeithP
    Options
    A) It's possible, but no-one can say whether it is likely.
    If they sense that you are going to pay whatever happens, why would the reduce the amount?

B) You can always pay the amount being asked, right up to the time of the court appearance.

Why do you think you will end up paying more if it goes to court?
  • Jerseymonkey
    Options
    That's really helpful Keith, thanks. I don't know if they can charge court costs if papers are issued but it doesn't actually get to court- if they can't I'll just wait and see and pay up at that point. Thanks for your help.
  • KeithP
    Options
    That's really helpful Keith, thanks. I don't know if they can charge court costs if papers are issued but it doesn't actually get to court- if they can't I'll just wait and see and pay up at that point. Thanks for your help.

Of course, them taking you to court is by no means a certainty.

What's wrong with the idea of going to court and paying nothing?
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,773 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 2 October 2017 at 9:17AM
    Options
    So basically:
    NO
    B) if not, is there a chance to pay up and pull out of court proceedings if they start without paying more.
    Yes, cases can be settled right up until the hearing day.

or a clear and genuine indicator that they will proceed that will give me a chance to pay if necessary?
    Posters here will say that nothing genuine comes out of parking firms or their solicitors/debt collectors. But you would have to receive a proper Letter before Claim,
    and accompanying documents/evidence.

Having said the above, your letter is a debt collector letter and has never seen a solicitor's desk. Ignore that one, like everyone else does.

If you then get a proper Letter before Claim, reply robustly, as per Daniel san's recent posts/advice on his thread. He has a 'proper' LBC from Gladstones, I think.

You don't, you have another threatogram.
    I have no desire to go to court as I've said previously. I just want to know how the process works so I know whether to just pay now to avoid any further costs and hassle (I don't want to reach a point where I end up with more costs as I have no intention of going to court so will end up paying them if it gets to that point).
    Understood.

A shame that you feel that way though; this is nothing, doesn't affect your credit rating, and we WIN.

Ignore whatever RyanDavis1959 said above, he appears to come from the wrong side (maybe Smart Parking) and posts far too often in a way that gives that away. IGNORE.

But you CANNOT settle it now at a lower cost so why do so, when the pre-action Protocol has literally just changed this weekend; makes it harder for Gladstones and similar robo-claims (see Daniel san's thread for the link).
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    If only there was a thread for Newbies to read that explains all this....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure