Currently sitting on the Tarmac

Options
At London Heathrow.

On a Eurowings flight to Düsseldorf, flight should have left at 12:10, we finally boarded about 1:50 (now an hour ago) and have been told by the captain at least another hour and 15 mins waiting for a take off slot.

This will put us over the 3 hour threshold...

What compensation am I entitled to, the CAA website infers €250 only if it's the airlines fault. If that's the case, can the airline just say it wasn't my fault it was the ground crew (ironically this was their excuse) which then absolves them of any liability?

We've been offered 1 small plastic cup of water, no snacks or other drinks.

Comments

• spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The delay is the arrival time not departure (and thats arrival as you step off the plane i irc), whilst im assuming its fairly short haul with the numbers youre giving ive been on a couple planes that have taken off over 3 hours late to land well within the 3hr+ late rule.

The airline does need ot be at fault and theres lots of things that can and cant be an airlines fault.

I got a payout because the airports software failed. Not the airlines fault. However they didnt act quick enough to resolve the problems and left our flight much later than everyone elses. So that was deemed to be their fault.

What are the reasons for the delay? Youre normally given them pretty quickly if its not the airlines fault. We had a printout handed to us that didnt appologise for the delays it was solely sent to say you wouldnt be able to claim flight delay.
  • 2ndAccount
    Options
    Thanks for the detailed reply so quickly.

The captain mumbled something really quickly over the intercom that Düsseldorf airport was chaotic hence it was late getting to Heathrow, then we are late departing due to waiting for a departure slot.

We are just taxi-ing now - will see what the delay is upon landing.

Eurowings - I'd never heard of them! They seem to be a cheap German EasyJet - I wonder how easy they will make claiming...
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It seems the airport is busy from lack of security check in staff and delays caused by air berlin [STRIKE]strikes[/STRIKE] pilots falling ill at once.

I suspect theyll try and get out of it.

If you go to bott and co online you can fill in their forms and by the time you get back it will be a good indicator as to how successful you might be.

Enjoy your trip.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ensure you actully record the time the doors of the aircraft OPEN on arrival. Thats is where you take your delay timing from.
    From what you have told us, none of these reasons are EC
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • davetrousers
    davetrousers Posts: 5,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 15 September 2017 at 3:25PM
    Options
    Germanwings changed their name to Eurowings after Andreas Lubitz

• IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    At present the flight is scheduled to arrive at 5.31pm, which would put you over the three hour mark by one minute!

There is a lull in arrivals at 5.30pm, so would expect your pilot to be doing their best to get you there a two minutes earlier.
  • JPears
    Options
    You are borderline - make sure you video and time record doors opening if you are on the 3 hour limit.

• 2ndAccount
    Options
    So we took off over 3 hours late, I got an email with a new ETA which was 17:36 (local time) so 6
    Mins over 3 hours.

We've landed and I'm out the craft already - doors opened 7 minutes shy of 3 hours.

Well done to them for the boost button to have made up the time, I'm frustrated I was minutes away from recovering the whole cost of the weekend (including beer money!) but glad I've got out of T2! Thanks for the assistance guys.
  • JPears
    Options
    They probably didnt make up much time. The scheduled arrival times are later than the acytaul flight times, now by an increasing margin to allow for events such as this (and reduce 261/2004 compensation.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family