married to an alcoholic and cant take anymore

Options

Comments

• Monika333
    Options
    First of all, I'm sorry you have to go though all this. To live with an alcoholic is a difficult task. But he doesn't do anything, and he doesn't want to do anything, I think there is only one way for you. Of course, it is always sad when marriage comes to the end, but you have a right to be happy, have friends and have a loving man nearby.
  • BrassicWoman
    Options
    Monika333 wrote: »
    First of all, I'm sorry you have to go though all this. To live with an alcoholic is a difficult task. But he doesn't do anything, and he doesn't want to do anything, I think there is only one way for you. Of course, it is always sad when marriage comes to the end, but you have a right to be happy, have friends and have a loving man nearby.

I almost agree. I agree with almost all of this.

No one has a right to love. That leads to some scary behaviour - not least alcoholics thinking they have a right to a wife and her house.
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • easilydistracted
    Options
    OP your commute sounds completely exhausting. Do you think in time you might want to move closer to work and be comfy in a smaller home of your own? It would be your place to do up however you like. You could buy somewhere you know he'd hate :D you might become closer to your work colleagues too. My father was/ is an alcoholic and never stopped even when he ruined all our lives with it. I left as soon as humanly possible. I'm sad my mother never escaped but she didn't compute it as an option. It is as caused my mother and I to have a distant relationship because she can't accept what happened. They have a nice posh house, I wouldn't swap for the world!
    Saving for a deposit. £5440 of £11000 saved so far:j
  • seren77
    Options
    Hi, I was in a similar position to you around 16 years ago. The problem wasn't totally alcoholism (or at least not to the same extent as yours is) but the emotional abuse that went with it. I went to Women's Aid on the quiet and as well as giving me loads of support, they referred me to a fantastic solicitor who deals with this type of case all the time. It was an incredibly stressful time, but worth it in the end. The police even offered me an immediate injunction against my husband based on emotional abuse - I decided not to take that as I thought it might make the problem worse, but at least it was offered and I had the choice. Hope you find a way of coping and the same level of help and support that I found.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    OP the thing you need to understand about alcoholics is that they blame the drink for how they behave etc but they still make the sober decision to drink knowing full well how they behave while drunk. They don't care though because its not them who have to deal with the effects of their drinking, its everyone else in their life who has to deal with it and its often soul destroying for those people as the frustration of watching someone they care about do that to themselves and being unable to stop them takes its toll.

You can't force him to sort his life out. However you can sort yours out. If you jointly own the home, your home is already at risk. What if he runs up debts and you have to sell the house to pay them? You've been (if i understand your posts correctly anyway) paying the full mortgage despite not getting the full benefit of the mortgage.

Personally, I'd be asking a solicitor at least about legal separation - if you're currently covering most/all of the bills, it should enable you to reduce his share of the equity (unless he starts paying his share - but either way, you'll be better off than you are now).
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • goodwithsaving
    Options
    A year ago I could have written your post, original poster. I was commuting horrendous hours, living with an alcoholic and really, really struggling. I couldn't see a way out. In the end, I had to bite the bullet. We sold our beautiful home, I bought somewhere else and he relocated. In the mean time, I struggled mentally having been through the mill for the past few years and packed in the stressful job and commute. I had a few months out, stayed with friends to get away from my 'normal life', found a job elsewhere and relocated - I am SO much happier. I am a new person. I still have problems with depression and the guilt I feel for leaving is insurmountable, every evening I recall him falling to the floor in tears when I asked to separate and it crushes me. To cause that much distress to someone isn't nice, but equally I was in tears every night because he was vile after a drink and kept me up until 2am (when I had to be up at 5am). I do still get overwhelmed, but my new colleagues are supportive and because I am rested, I can cope.
    I still care deeply for him and am terrified of getting into another relationship in case I go through hell again, but I am so glad I had the courage to get out. Sure I lost my house, but my sanity and wellbeing is worth far more.
    You only live once. Bite the bullet if you are that miserable, you'll be okay.
  • forgetfullass
    Options
    thanks for all the comments. I have read them all and mostly they make sense and have helped me to realise that I know all of this. I do. im not a stupid woman or even helpless. I have brought up my kids, paid off thousands of pounds in debt and hung onto the roof over our heads despite everything. I know he will never change and that I cant change him. I'm angry now about selling my house when I don't want to and feel why should I have too. its not about being a 'lovely house' its about it being my home that I have struggled to keep and paid for mostly on my own. on top of this I paid his secured loan when he defaulted in the first year of paying it. 9 years down the line its almost paid - I had no choice. why should he now walk away with 50% - £100K. I wont be able to buy and will have to rent. He will spend him money and then end up claiming HB. I know I shouldn't care but I have worked hard for this house and it makes me angry that I should have to do this.

I don't give him money, I don't wash or cook for him in fact I hardly speak to him so I am not facilitating him - I have done in the past but no more. He uses his PIP money for booze.

As I said before he is not physically abusive however there is times that I am scared of him. He gets angry and I leave for a few hours. Its no way to live and something needs to change. I need to change
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    thanks for all the comments. I have read them all and mostly they make sense and have helped me to realise that I know all of this. I do. im not a stupid woman or even helpless. I have brought up my kids, paid off thousands of pounds in debt and hung onto the roof over our heads despite everything. I know he will never change and that I cant change him. I'm angry now about selling my house when I don't want to and feel why should I have too. its not about being a 'lovely house' its about it being my home that I have struggled to keep and paid for mostly on my own. on top of this I paid his secured loan when he defaulted in the first year of paying it. 9 years down the line its almost paid - I had no choice. why should he now walk away with 50% - £100K. I wont be able to buy and will have to rent. He will spend him money and then end up claiming HB. I know I shouldn't care but I have worked hard for this house and it makes me angry that I should have to do this.

I don't give him money, I don't wash or cook for him in fact I hardly speak to him so I am not facilitating him - I have done in the past but no more. He uses his PIP money for booze.

As I said before he is not physically abusive however there is times that I am scared of him. He gets angry and I leave for a few hours. Its no way to live and something needs to change. I need to change

Because that's what you agreed and no amount of hurt feelings is going to change that.

Don't dwell on it. Just move on.
  • forgetfullass
    Options
    thanks again for the replies.

I never agreed to anything other than getting into a mortgage with him years ago but then he agreed to pay and he hasn't.

thanks for all the contribution's. I know what I have to do and I shall do it. not sure what I thought I would get from a forum but most of the comments have been helpful and need to get on with doing this. I am not going to sell my house. I am going to get him to leave one way of another - if he carried on it will be in a box!

bowing out now

thanks
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    thanks again for the replies.

I never agreed to anything other than getting into a mortgage with him years ago but then he agreed to pay and he hasn't.

thanks for all the contribution's. I know what I have to do and I shall do it. not sure what I thought I would get from a forum but most of the comments have been helpful and need to get on with doing this. I am not going to sell my house. I am going to get him to leave one way of another - if he carried on it will be in a box!

bowing out now

thanks

That is probably a bad idea....

I think I can see why this relationship isn't working out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure