Should i fix a gas/electricity tariff just before i move house?

Options
Hi, my gas/electricity tariff fix with npower has just finished - but I'm hesitant to commit to a better pricing tariff with another supplier or npower as i'll be moving house in about 2.5 to 3 months.

So my direct debit has just shot up.

Any advice or thoughts?

Thanks

Comments

• Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Does the new fixed tariff have an early exit fee? If so, don't bother. If not, you could sign up if you wanted.

Personally, if I was about to move house, I wouldn't be faffing about switching suppliers. Yes, the fixed deals are cheaper, but the difference over just a few months won't be huge, and it's one less thing to worry about.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry - Disagree with the above
    We are talking of staying on the Standard tariff for most of the winter months,
    it will really cost.

Most suppliers do not charge Exit Fees for house moves - Check it with n'power and get onto cheaper fixed tariff a.s.a.p
  • nPower
    nPower Posts: 1,319 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    andrew4344 wrote: »
    Hi, my gas/electricity tariff fix with npower has just finished - but I'm hesitant to commit to a better pricing tariff with another supplier or npower as i'll be moving house in about 2.5 to 3 months.

So my direct debit has just shot up.

Any advice or thoughts?

Thanks

Hi andrew4344,

Thanks for your message. If you need our help with your account please contact us using the details on our profile page.

Thanks

Jen :)
    Official Company Representative"
    I am the official company representative of nPower. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
    If we ask you to contact us, please do so using helpandsupport@npower.com - MSE Forum has temporarily allowed the display of our contact details in our signature due to a technical issue with our profile
  • Cardinal-Red
    Options
    I don't see why you shouldn't especially as the process is so simple nowadays.

We did the same thing. No fee for moving house. Was so happy with new supplier we set up a new contract at the new house too. (Be aware though I think it's pretty common that you can't port your deal, but have to set up a new contract... this might mean fixed deals have ended etc.)
    The above facts belong to everybody; the opinions belong to me; the distinction is yours to draw...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure