A newbie: can I join the club please?!

Options

Comments

• Bunnyinthelights
    Options
    It sounds as if you have made inroads, well done.
    Keep us posted!
    Bunny
    Empty pockets never held anyone back, only empty heads and empty hearts can do that -Peale
  • HannaB
    HannaB Posts: 345 Forumite
    Options
    Hiya,

I just want to say that my partner has suffered from depression for a number of years. In March, we both decided to quit smoking. He was on the patches and I was on the lozenges/gum. Within 3 weeks he had restarted again, but I couldn't be mad at him for it. He had cut down from what he was on before. I just ask that he smokes with his head out the front door (the bloke across the street smokes outside too, so he's made a friend. Lol!) I was on more than 20 fags a day and, since quitting, I haven't had any lapses since March (yey!).

I can understand where you're coming from, but you need to think about you. Qutting will still be hard even if your partner decided to quit with you. What you need to think about is the following, "is this £50-odd a month on fags worth it? Am I enjoying smoking enough to justify this spending? Would I feel better about putting this extra money towards the debts?" If the answers are no, no and yes, it may make quitting that little bit easier.

HannaB
    Please continue to hold the line. Your call is very important to us and will be answered by next available robot...
  • supersavershal
    Options
    Hi joe and welcome to mse.I cant add anything I just wanted to welcome you.It looks like you have done lots allready and looking at your soa it looks like you have some disposable income to put towards the debts.Remember you can bring that debt free date even closer by paying just a small amount extra each month.Good luck.It gets addictive on here!
  • lunar
    lunar Posts: 1,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, Looking at your SOA you seem really prepared and have made loads of changes all ready. Im nearly 2 months into my debt diary and ive found it so motivating and its really keeping me on track. as is reading others diaries for ideas and motivaton.

Well done on the changes you have made so far and for facing up to the problem, your debts are pretty similar to mine. Keep up the good work and ill be watching out for your progress.
    DFW NERD NO.656 DEBT FREE 24TH NOVEMBER 2010 TOTAL DEBT AUGUST 2007 £39000
    MFiT T2 NO.56 WE OWN [STRIKE]25%[/STRIKE] 31.5% OF OUR HOUSE SO FAR!
  • JoeHel
    JoeHel Posts: 446 Forumite
    Options
    thanks for your replies. You're absolutely right Hanna - it'll be hard whether he quits too or I go it alone and I'm really getting fired up to do it. Embarrassed to point out that I'm spending £50 a WEEK not a month on ciggies!! I'm at least 20 a day - more if I go out for a drink... :eek: He won't change his smoking habits unless he decides he's ready and he will be paranoid when I start talking about quitting. the last time I said I was giving up was while he was visiting his parents. He told me that he wouldn't come back if couldn't smoke in the flat!! I know he didn't mean it but he panicked...

Just done another 3 hours overtime ... that's another £54 on my take-home pay. Reckon I've clocked up about £400 net extra this month so far! That's ALL going to Barclaycard!!!!! :j
    QUIT SMOKING 4/11/07 :j
  • Bunnyinthelights
    Options
    I'd love to hear how you get on with the competitions-it's something I've always fancied doing. Feel free to PM me!
    Bunny
    Empty pockets never held anyone back, only empty heads and empty hearts can do that -Peale
  • JoeHel
    Options
    The competitions are great fun. Last year I managed to win approx £21k worth of stuff, including a car which I sold for £10.5k. I used that money to pay off half my credit card debt but of course then my partner still was out of work for another year so I soon racked them back up again :o

I'm nowhere near that figure this year although I have got a £100 Ikea voucher burning a hole in my wallet... ;)
  • Bunnyinthelights
    Options
    Well done!
    How amazing is that! I'd love to hear more...
    Have you tried that 'Demotivator' calculator and put in how much you've spent on fags?
    It's great!
  • JoeHel
    Options
    bunny, you have mail. I daren't even think about how much I've spent on fags but when I'm feeling brave I'll give it a go. ;)
  • Bunnyinthelights
    Options
    Lol, give it a go.
    So far it's cured my obsession for 'OK' magazine and cups of coffee/tea at owrk. I daren't put in my book buying habit...or clothes at Tesco/ASDA (see, then I kid myself it's ook because it's cheap...)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport