PPI rejected by Halifax

Hi all. Wonder if anyone can please help me? I received a letter today from Halifax to say all 5 PPI claims I had were not upheld for the following reasons;

*eligibility concerns
n.a. - considered due to understanding of the specific details of complaint -can see from your status at time of sale you were eligible for ppi policy took out.

*suitability concerns
sale was made on a non contact basis. As such, we were only required to provide you with information designed to ensure you could make an informed decision. It was then your choice to take out the policy or not.

*optionality concerns
led to believe could not get policy without the ppi. Evidence has been considered and believe it's more than likely that the optimal nature of the policy was explained.

*information and disclosure concerns
Believe it's more than likely the key facts about the service were made to me in good time.

*unfair relationship concerns
When ppi purchased, the ppi premium included commission paid by insurance company to the bank. At time of sale, lenders weren't required to inform me.

I believe that PPI was offered as a prerequisite of my loans and I was not offered the loans without PPI. Do I have a claim or should I accept defeat?

Really grateful for an opinion.

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 115,904
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I believe that PPI was offered as a prerequisite of my loans and I was not offered the loans without PPI. Do I have a claim or should I accept defeat?

Being told you had to have it is a missale reason. However, it is a notoriously difficult complaint reason to get a complaint upheld on. Lots of people use it as a reason but its very unusual for a complaint to be upheld on that point. Many go on to be upheld on other reasons.

Did you have any stronger complaint reasons? Were those points linked to the complaint you made or did they just list them?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • I'm unable to post links because I'm a new member. Not sure if adding http to beginning if the following will help anyone? Thank you in anticipation!!

ibb.co/cd6ORv

ibb.co/fyCzYa
  • AndyFoz wrote: »
    I believe that PPI was offered as a prerequisite of my loans and I was not offered the loans without PPI.
    In the absence of any evidence to support your contention, the bank have looked at eligibility, suitability, information, and disclosure and found nothing wrong on all of these counts.

Your only recourse is to refer your complaint to the Ombudsman, but I can't see the rejection being overturned because you can provide no evidence that you were told the PPI was compulsory.
  • Thank you for your reply, dunstonh. I listed that as my reason for complaint. I was in full time employment with a secure job and had good cover for sick leave and redundancy so don't think I required the PPI. Should I have worded it differently on the complaint?
  • Thank you, moneyineptitude. All of the complaints are regarding accounts from over a decade ago and sadly I don't have any paperwork any more to substantiate my claim. :-( gutted. :-(
  • AndyFoz wrote: »
    . I was in full time employment
    That just indicates you had need of the insurance,
    AndyFoz wrote: »
    cover for sick leave and redundancy
    What sort of sickness cover?

Redundancy cover is not guaranteed and will therefore not be considered.
    All of the complaints are regarding accounts from over a decade ago and sadly I don't have any paperwork any more to substantiate my claim.
    \
    Even if you had documentation, it would not support your allegation that you were told the PPI was compulsory.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    The sale was made on a non contact basis. In what way were you made to believe the PPI was a prerequisite of the loans?
  • Moneyineptitude, my job entitled me (still at same job 17 years later) to 6 months full pay sick leave and 3 months half pay sick leave.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 115,904
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Thank you for your reply, dunstonh. I listed that as my reason for complaint. I was in full time employment with a secure job and had good cover for sick leave and redundancy so don't think I required the PPI. Should I have worded it differently on the complaint?

To be eligible for PPI, you have to be employed. So, that confirmed you are eligible. Sick pay is not a consideration on non-advised sales (and this is a non-advised sale). Redundancy pay is not guaranteed and does not overlap with PPI.

I was just surprised at:
    *unfair relationship concerns

That is not something you would expect a provider to include in their response unless you had mentioned it in your complaint. Hence, I wondered if you brought it up in your complaint.

What type of PPI was this?

Halifax tend to roll over easily on loan PPI. MPPI they used to pay out easily on too but not so much any more.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Iamwales, purely because I don't recall seeing a breakdown of a repayment figure with and without insurance which would have given me the option to choose. I'm 100% certain I would have picked the cheaper option given the choice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure