Complaint about Thomas Cook - worst customer service I've ever received

Options

Comments

• baza52
    baza52 Posts: 3,029 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thomas cook advise people with a complaint (that would include people who want t rant) to contact Customer relations. They are a different team and would be trained how to handle such situations
    Customer support/services would most likely NOT get the same training.

Take a look at their website.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,649 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    kezzygirl wrote: »
    ..........!!!!!! was that all about :rotfl:

You're not a fan of "At Last the 1948 Show" then?

(The sketch was originally performed on this show, but more memorably performed on Monty Python live stage shows).
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 September 2017 at 9:54PM
    Options
    Perhaps hollydays simply doesn't feel obliged to enlighten you by answering your question. Perhaps she just got bored by the thread & couldn't be asked to read further than page one.

"Hollydays has logged in today"..........you're starting to sound like a stalker! :eek:

I'm abroad so not following mse as often as I might do :D
    Yes, I'd probably have got bored with the thread at that point, or perhaps not responded to see how the truth reacts when he doesn't get a response?

To answer a couple of questions broadly.
    It's because I've worked in jobs where I've had to deal with high levels of confrontation, I've learned that getting wound up but the client/customer is needless.

A skilled employee knows that if you lose your temper, you're the loser.
  • baza52
    Options
    hollydays wrote: »
    I'm abroad so not following mse as often as I might do :D
    Yes, I'd probably have got bored with the thread at that point, or perhaps not responded to see how the truth reacts when he doesn't get a response?

To answer a couple of questions broadly.
    It's because I've worked in jobs where I've had to deal with high levels of confrontation, I've learned that getting wound up but the client/customer is needless.

A skilled employee knows that if you lose your temper, you're the loser.
    Does not answer the question though. If you took the time to reply you could have used an example to back up your point. I appreciate you dont have to.
    In your job were you a basic front line agent or were you trained to be able to deal with difficult customers in a different role? You say you were a skilled employee.
  • hollydays
    edited 15 September 2017 at 2:21AM
    Options
    baza52 wrote: »
    Does not answer the question though. If you took the time to reply you could have used an example to back up your point. I appreciate you dont have to.
    In your job were you a basic front line agent or were you trained to be able to deal with difficult customers in a different role? You say you were a skilled employee.
    Can you point out where I said I was a skilled employee?
    This isn't about the mundane job of a call centre agent, but about the
    Basic premis of being able to treat a customer with respect and behave like an adult.
    And you are correct, thank you, for reminding me I don't have to put my personal details on a forum , and I replied because I found some of the posts amusingly presumptuous :rotfl:
  • baza52
    edited 15 September 2017 at 3:04AM
    Options
    hollydays wrote: »
    I

A skilled employee knows that if you lose your temper, you're the loser..

I just asumed from your post that you considered yourself a skilled employee. If you are not talking from experience or were not a skilled employee in this field i can only assume your giving a point of view rather than a factual account of what is accepted and how peoplee are trained. You said you learnt this rather thann being trained for it.

If staff were trained to deal with this situation why would they have a seperate department for complaints?
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    Because complaints are a different thing. Complaints cannot get your issue sorted out because they happen after the act. People making complaints are less likely to be angry because whatever it is has already happened and they have more time. If your company doesn't tell you this, you are just receiving very poor training.
    Saying to someone who is angry because they are stuck in a airport somewhere and just wants their issue sorted out "Do you want to make a complaint about it?" is one of the most annoying things any customer service operative can do. No, they don't want to make a complaint and get an apology and a £50 voucher a month later. They want to get home. Now.
  • hollydays
    edited 15 September 2017 at 5:46PM
    Options
    I just asumed from your post that you considered yourself a skilled employee. If you are not talking from experience or were not a skilled employee in this field i can only assume your giving a point of view rather than a factual account of what is accepted and how peoplee are trained. You said you learnt this rather thann being trained for it.

If staff were trained to deal with this situation why would they have a seperate department for complaints?

Yes, yet again you are making assumptions.
    I didn't say I wasn't a skilled employee .
    I didn't say I was or wasn't trained.
    Listening to the customer is a useful skill for us don't you think? Then you won't continue to make assumptions.
  • SevenOfNine
    Options
    I have also worked in a call center role before and have come across countless abusive customers, ones that think they are right and wont listen to you and ones that are quite happy to argue the toss all day if you were to let them.

Seems like you're currently giving an excellent demonstration of how, sometimes, call centre operatives treat customers as if they are, be default, wrong. Are always right themselves leading to a failure to listen to the customer, & give off an air of impatience because call centre operatives must often meet call volume/time requirements.

Last but not least, they want the last word - which I'm sure you will continue to demonstrate wholeheartedly. :):)
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
  • PhylPho
    PhylPho Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It used to be that the pious went to church. Nowadays it's increasingly the case that they appear on MSE, second-guessing someone else's post and delivering of themselves long lectures about how an OP was either lying, or deluded, or unfair, or -- and this really is a favourite -- "unrealistic", as if realism is a dimension within which only they exist to the exclusion of all lesser mortals.

Thankfully, there are still some MSE posters who don't feel a need to augment their own adequacy by belittling others; the posts about the Thomas Cook CS rep's gibberish are spot-on and, especially, those about that same rep's conduct.

Nobody is compelled to work in CS, and nobody who does so should expect every day at t'office to be a good day at t'office because it won't be. What they should instead expect are calls from customers who may well be stressed, may well be inarticulate, may well be hostile, may not even have English as a first language . . . and deal with that. If not? Go find another job, because where CS is concerned, empathy comes to work, ego stays at home.

Best wishes to the OP. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport