124»

Comments

• Sledgehead
    Sledgehead Posts: 131 Forumite
    edited 16 September 2017 at 12:34PM
    Options
    Impact on UK customers cut from 44m to 44k:

Equifax hack puts data of 400,000 UK customers at risk
    ... a file containing UK consumer information “may potentially have been accessed”.

The data includes names, dates of birth, email addresses and telephone numbers, but does not contain postal addresses, passwords or financial information.

[Equifax] said it would contact [those affected] in writing to offer advice and a free identity protection service to monitor their personal information and data.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well 44k sounds a lot better than 44m. Trouble is it has taken them so long to admit anything can we actually believe them? A company whose management thinks it is alright to insider trade is not one I would place any faith in!
  • Sledgehead
    Options
    I suppose the real solution is to only buy what you can afford to pay outright for. That way you would not need a credit file.

But look at the direction of travel. People are using credit for smaller and smaller purchases, simply cos they have fewer and fewer savings.

First buying houses outright became a rarity. Now it's cars and mobile phones. Even computers are being rented out with broadband contracts.

Moreover, increasing consumer rights have made service companies ever more cautious about entering into contracts. You'll probably be credit checked by your utility company, simply because they know they can't simply cut off your supply when you've used up all the money you paid them.
  • Su22_2
    Options
    Received letter from Equifax advising data breach and advised in letter to call them. In letter it states they will not ask for credit card details or bank account details yet they asked if I had credit cards, who with and what was the limit!!! When I advised that I did not know. I then Asked what email address they had for me and they would not advise but said to continue I should send them a scan copy of my passport or driving licence and an up to date utility bill - this just makes me feel even more uncomfortable. Is this part of a new addition to the breach/scam???? !!!
  • SHill
    SHill Posts: 146 Forumite
    Options
    Call Action Fraud & explain what's happened.
    Ask yourself this ...When do you ever supply passport & driving licence details when completing a credit search so why would they need these pieces of information.
    why give them you passport or driving licence details...as this provides nothing about your financial activity.
    What it will do is give loads of personal information over to people you don't have regular contact with. It likes giving your PIN or numbers on a back of your cc or bank cards.
    I strongly advise that you don't send them through or you it will be all your fault In help/assisting any fraudulent activity on your accounts.
    If it legit call the banks & financial links you have & make them aware so that any fraudulent activity happens they be able to monitor your accounts. Tell them that you've been asked these pieces of personal information.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure