Equifax hack

Options

Comments

• Sledgehead
    Options
    Fortunetly for me, though, if someone did try and take out credit in my name, well, good luck. If they were succesful, I'd love to know which company saw me as a viable candidate to be lent hahahahaha

Yeah, cos poor people are always left alone by criminals. NOT.

Those who can be, will be used to run up debts.

The rest - ID's like yours - to commit benefit fraud, or just as an ID to hide behind whilst doing something illegal, I dunno, drug dealing, trafficking, pimping, terrorism. Good luck with your next job interview after that!

Still feeling lucky?:rotfl:
  • Sledgehead
    Options
    RG2015 wrote: »
    Do you have any suggestions as to how this problem could be solved

People say "what can we do?" as if this were hurricane Irma.

Do they say the same about Brexit? No. They bleat. They moan. They protest. They bother their MP.

So is this problem man-made, like Brexit, or and act of god, like Irma? And if you can answer that question, you know at least what you could do.

But first you have to know how we got here. Then you'll see the trajectory. Then you'll have an idea where we are headed. And then you stand a better chance of demanding the right things from those who seek to run things.

And then you'll realise that paying for your Starbucks via a contactless credit card is exactly what you don't want. And neither is a so-called consumer champion who touts 0% credit card deals all the time.
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,907 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Sledgehead wrote: »
    And the more you think about it, the more you wonder why you should be expected to take on the responsibility of screening for ID fraud. Or for that matter monitoring your bank account.
    Large entities like banks, CRAs, utility and insurance providers, HM Govt and its agencies etc. have a duty to protect our data. Generally they succeed but sometimes they fail.

If anything goes wrong I would be the first to suffer so I will always take on the responsibility to screen for ID fraud, monitor my bank accounts and do everything possible to help keep myself safe.

Yes, these organisations have a dreadful IT security record and attitude. But I will never trust them and even less sit back and rely upon them.
  • tomhass
    Options
    Several days have passed and the login to the Equifax site still do not work for me.

Anyone else able to login please ?

...also still no UK specific advice. This is beyond embarrassing. Each day that passed without transparent activity the organisation looks less and less credible.

Equifax's Credit Score ? - ZERO - I would not lend them a fiver right now.

Thanks

tomhass
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Part of the problem re Equifax is that we have no choice. They have our records. We didn't choose to give them to them. They took them from our banks our ccs our power providers etc etc. My neighbours who wouldn't be able to use the internet at all, have their records on line via Equifax. I doubt they even know it though. Equifax have a responsibility to look after our data. In view of the quantity of our data they hold in one place they have even more responsibility than any one bank or other financial type institution. A breech as big as this appears to be should not just have them fined but shut down.
  • Sledgehead
    Options
    Not a lot, essentially: - confirmed still 'looking in to matter' to no effect, unable to specify when they would know anything; - shared my frustration and concern that there is nothing meaningful to be done; - admitted that the general public were largely ignorant of the matter. They did suggest CIFAS, but admitted that coverage was not comprehensive and that any sensible criminal would avoid seeking to defraud you with CIFAS members. It would also be ineffective against use of ID theft to create false identities behind which criminals could operate (in your name - ie you could end up with a criminal record w/o your knowledge). So summing up, one word : "fooked".
  • Mee
    Mee Posts: 1,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 13 September 2017 at 12:10PM
    Options
    Just discovered this - not sure where my head was at. FT two pence worth.

ICO statement
    Reports of a significant data loss at US-based Equifax and the potential impact on some UK citizens gives us cause for concern. We are already in direct contact with Equifax to establish the facts including how many people in the UK have been affected and what kind of personal data may have been compromised.

"We will be advising Equifax to alert affected UK customers at the earliest opportunity.

"In cyber attack cases that cross borders the ICO is committed to working with relevant overseas authorities on behalf of UK citizens."
    Free thinker.:cool:
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,907 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    RG2015 wrote: »
    Do you have any suggestions as to how this problem could be solved
    Sledgehead wrote: »
    People say "what can we do?" as if this were hurricane Irma.

Do they say the same about Brexit? No. They bleat. They moan. They protest. They bother their MP.

So is this problem man-made, like Brexit, or and act of god, like Irma? And if you can answer that question, you know at least what you could do.
    Just to clarify, is the suggestion here that we should bleat, moan, protest and bother our MPs?
  • Sledgehead
    Options
    yes yes yes yes
  • Sledgehead
    Options
    Equifax blamed the breach that compromised the personal information of 143 million people on an Apache vulnerability patched months before the hack occurred. The vulnerability in question, Apache Struts CVE-2017-5638, was patched in March. The breach started in May.
    This disclosure implies that Equifax failed to address a critical vulnerability several months after a patch was made available.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/equifax-blames-hack-patched-vulnerability,35454.html

Meanwhile a leading Democrat senator has likened the incident to Enron.

And we all know waht happened to them ....

... but ClearScore are "unaffected". Sure. :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport