Faulty TV - Outside of Warranty ? - Consumer Rights Act

Options

Comments

• Al_Ross
    Al_Ross Posts: 907 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    The Screen(Panel)is faulty.Was the tv Recently moved at all?
    If Currys TV repair firm(all their work is contracted out to local repair firms, deem it not to be accidental damage then they will either replace the Screen or refund you.Going by past similar stories on here you will probably get nearly all your £550.This would mostly likely be in the form of a Currys voucher.
  • stuartJo1989
    Options
    Your option would be to get an independent report but you would have to pay and if an inherent fault it should be refunded.

I admittedly only glanced at the posts in September, but the point you made here may not have been brought up....

Bit of a shame, because it is a fairly key component to the case; fault reports CAN end up being refunded and the only risk is how confident OP is of the fault being inherent.

I think that the initial responses were a bit off-putting in that sense.

So to OP; this is a fair offer from Currys and the only question is whether you can get a professional fault report from elsewhere for cheaper/you trust Currys to provide an accurate fault report (I would trust them, but it is something which would put others off)
  • darren72
    darren72 Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Al_Ross wrote: »
    The Screen(Panel)is faulty.Was the tv Recently moved at all?
    If Currys TV repair firm(all their work is contracted out to local repair firms, deem it not to be accidental damage then they will either replace the Screen or refund you.Going by past similar stories on here you will probably get nearly all your £550.This would mostly likely be in the form of a Currys voucher.

No, the TV has never been moved. The issue would come and go a few months back but is there all the time now.

Thanks
  • darren72
    Options
    So to OP; this is a fair offer from Currys and the only question is whether you can get a professional fault report from elsewhere for cheaper/you trust Currys to provide an accurate fault report (I would trust them, but it is something which would put others off)

I am only concerned that it would be in Curry's interest to say it has been damaged by me (which it hasn't) as it would then get to keep the £95 and wouldn't have to do anything about it.

DSG have never been known for being good for customer services - hence my concerns.
  • stuartJo1989
    Options
    darren72 wrote: »
    I am only concerned that it would be in Curry's interest to say it has been damaged by me (which it hasn't) as it would then get to keep the £95 and wouldn't have to do anything about it.

DSG have never been known for being good for customer services - hence my concerns.

Precisely my point!

Only you can determine whether or not you trust them to provide an accurate fault report. In all probability they WILL, but I appreciate your concerns. The alternative is to go elsewhere and get a fault report.
  • darren72
    Options
    Precisely my point!

Only you can determine whether or not you trust them to provide an accurate fault report. In all probability they WILL, but I appreciate your concerns. The alternative is to go elsewhere and get a fault report.

I've read a few other websites where people have had their £95 refunded, so I am assuming they can be trusted.

Anyone know if they come back and say it is due to 'wear and tear' whether that is any different to them saying it is a 'inherent fault' ? - I can't see how this particular fault could be anything but inherent though.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've read a few other websites where people have had their £95 refunded, so I am assuming they can be trusted.

I recently saw a thread on here where someone had their £95 refunded and a refund for the TV for an inherent fault, so i would take them up on their offer.
    Anyone know if they come back and say it is due to 'wear and tear' whether that is any different to them saying it is a 'inherent fault' ? - I can't see how this particular fault could be anything but inherent though.

Wear and Tear would mean that the TV has worn out during natural use. That would mean the components have simply failed earlier than average but there was nothing actually wrong with them when they were made.

An Inherent fault means that a fault was present when the TV was manufactured which has now caused this to happen.
  • darren72
    Options
    takman wrote: »
    Wear and Tear would mean that the TV has worn out during natural use. That would mean the components have simply failed earlier than average but there was nothing actually wrong with them when they were made.

An Inherent fault means that a fault was present when the TV was manufactured which has now caused this to happen.

Thanks - So it is still a bit of a gamble. I'll have a think and decide. Thanks to everyone for their help.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    £95 against circa sub £200 refund .
    I would be putting the £95 towards a Richer Sounds TV .
  • darren72
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    £95 against circa sub £200 refund .
    I would be putting the £95 towards a Richer Sounds TV .

But they said the £95 is also to repair the fault ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure