Showing Documents

Options
I was pulled over today for a routine check in my van and I didn't have my documentation with me (license and insurance) so I have to take them to a station to be checked. Was just wondering what the check is? Do they just look at the dates and make sure everything is as it should? Do they take copies of everything? Just don't get the point of the inconvenience of going to the station

Comments

• DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Did you get paperwork from them to also show when you produce your docs? What does that say? To my knowledge they don't take copies of the licence and insurance docs ... merely review them and update their relevant paperwork.

The point is ... they're entitled to check that the van was legally on the road being driven by a licenced driver. If you'd had the docs with you then you wouldn't now have this inconvenience. ;)

They should have been able to determine if the vehicle was insured at the roadside via a MID/PNC check.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,145 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I used to specify a different police station every time in my teenage years. I got to see a lot of Essex that way.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • HogMan
    HogMan Posts: 191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I had an accident a few years ago and ended up having to take my insurance & MOT certificates down to the local police station.
    They just coped details by hand on to triplicate paper and then gave the cerificates and a copy of the paper back to me.
    Thought at the time seemed very old fashioned given that all the records are now centally available on various systems.
  • Mutton_Geoff
    Options
    In many countries, it would be illegal to be driving without important docs on you. Think ourselves lucky we still have "producers".
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I was pulled over today for a routine check in my van and I didn't have my documentation with me (license and insurance) so I have to take them to a station to be checked. Was just wondering what the check is? Do they just look at the dates and make sure everything is as it should? Do they take copies of everything? Just don't get the point of the inconvenience of going to the station
    Isn't it obvious, they just want to make sure you are who you say you are and have all the documents you say you have, simple as that. Do you think they should just take your word for it!
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    HogMan wrote: »
    Thought at the time seemed very old fashioned given that all the records are now centally available on various systems.

The insurance & MOT will be available to them, and do will the licence details for the name you give. But without seeing your licence that name might be your mate who owns the car and has it insured for himself only.
  • HogMan
    HogMan Posts: 191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    In my case I had my (photo) licence with me which the police checked at the scene. The producer was only for the MOT and insurance documents both of which are now held electronically. For someone to take 10 minutes writing down details from documents that they could easily scan seemed at little backward.
  • Warwick_Hunt
    Options
    In many countries, it would be illegal to be driving without important docs on you. Think ourselves lucky we still have "producers".

It's illegal here too, he's comitted the offence of failing to produce the document on demand at the time of the stop.
  • Warwick_Hunt
    Options
    neilmcl wrote: »
    Isn't it obvious, they just want to make sure you are who you say you are and have all the documents you say you have, simple as that. Do you think they should just take your word for it!

The time to establish that was at the time.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What is this thing called a "Police Station" to which you refer?

I challenge you to find one that is open round here. (If you succeed in that task, then you can find a me a "Bank" as well)

We used to have loads, and loads of Policemen (and women too) , haven't seen a Policeman out and about for years.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure