Car Damage by bit of metal

Good afternoon all,

My wife's car front bumper was damaged by a bit of metal that was sticking out of the ground. The metal was part of something best described as a barrier at the bottom of a dead end street, I guess to stop cars from going on the grass. This barrier was part of others again best described as a log few feet long, with a metal strap either end to secure it to ground except this one, the log was missing and metal strap broken hence sticking out the ground. Taken photos. With all your years experience is it worth contacting the council and putting a claim in.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,874 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    JockLincs wrote: »
    Taken photos. With all your years experience is it worth contacting the council and putting a claim in.

Many thanks in advance.

Has your wife driven in this street before, noticed the metal, and reported it?
    If the council failed to act, perhaps that would be negligence?
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    So your wife drove into a stationary object, and is trying to blame somebody else for her lack of observation? C'mon, let's see some photos, both of the object itself (with scale) and the surroundings...

The usual rules apply, as per potholes. If the council were aware of it and had failed to sort it within a reasonable timescale (depending on the location), then they may be liable. Of course, it may not be the council who are responsible - it may be a private landowner.

If there's no vehicular right of way, then she stands no chance, because she shouldn't have been driving there anyway.
  • AdrianC wrote: »
    So your wife drove into a stationary object, and is trying to blame somebody else for her lack of observation?

Worse that that, she drove down a dead end road, got to the end and then proceeded onto the grass to where the piece of metal was sticking out of the ground, drove into a stationary object, and is trying to blame somebody else for her lack of observation?

But go on post the pic's, we all enjoy a giggle
  • JockLincs
    JockLincs Posts: 12 Forumite
    SSparks

I didn't say she drove on the grass did I. She hadn't been down that road before all she want to do was turn round. She is a care worker and was going to someone's house to do her job.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    Have you reported it to your insurance?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• JockLincs
    JockLincs Posts: 12 Forumite
    No not yet it's just deciding what is the way forward
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    I didn't say she drove on the grass did I.
    You did say that she hit a barrier that was stopping her driving onto the grass. The only logical conclusion from that is that she would have driven onto the grass if the barrier had not done its job.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    SSparks

I didn't say she drove on the grass did I. She hadn't been down that road before all she want to do was turn round. She is a care worker and was going to someone's house to do her job.

Hope she's got business use on her policy
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,966 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Good afternoon all,

My wife's car front bumper was damaged by a bit of metal that was sticking out of the ground. The metal was part of something best described as a barrier at the bottom of a dead end street, I guess to stop cars from going on the grass. This barrier was part of others again best described as a log few feet long, with a metal strap either end to secure it to ground except this one, the log was missing and metal strap broken hence sticking out the ground. Taken photos. With all your years experience is it worth contacting the council and putting a claim in.

Many thanks in advance.
    Probably not. I would say that your wife is at fault. The council could even claim for damage to their property. Ridiculously unlikely, but not impossible as a way of rebutting any claim you try and make.

How bad is the damage? If minor, get it sorted privately and leave it to your conscience as to whether you inform your insurer or not (you are supposed to). If more than that, you may wish to make a claim but as someone pointed out, I hope your wife is covered for business mileage.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    No not yet it's just deciding what is the way forward

Has she got business use on her insurance policy?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure