Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Giant spambot scooped up 711 million email addresses

mjm3346mjm3346 Forumite
45.7K Posts
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
Forumite
A malware researcher has discovered a spamming operation that has been drawing on a list of 711.5 million email addresses.
The scale of the scheme appears to make it the biggest find of its kind.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-41095606

Members of the public can check if their accounts have been affected via

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Replies

• MisslayedMisslayed Forumite, Senior Ambassador
    12.2K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Senior Ambassador
    I found a very old one of mine in that list, haven't used it for at least 8 years, accounts for the 'I found your email on a website you registered on to make money from home' spam. And possibly the (very) explicit ones I get which assume I'm a chap (for the avoidance of doubt I'm a chappess).
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected] All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • ZanzibZanzib Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    My everyday personal one has- which explains the spammy/fake emails I've been receiving. :(
  • JamboDPJamboDP Forumite
    40.2K Posts
    Forumite
    Probably why I've been getting all those sex emails using my own email address.
    I do it just for fun and whatever I win is a bonus
  • GeeBee38GeeBee38 Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    Forumite
    Mine is on it too, what can you do about it apart from change your password?

Thanks
  • hdh74hdh74 Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Mine's on two lists apparently...
    2018 - £562  2019 - £130 2020 - £276  2021 - £106 2022 - £140
  • superhezsuperhez Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm on 6 lists :(

What do you do?
    April Wins - Skincare Science Set - PC game - Cycling book and merch - Book x 2 - chocolates - 4 tckts to Musselburgh races with G&T - £250 TRX equipment
  • LeeRitsLeeRits Forumite
    570 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    You can't do anything unfortunately. The lists are already out there and in the hands of people who want them. All you can do is change your passwords, try not to reuse the same password across websites and if some websites allow it, enable 2-step verification. 2-step verification usually involves getting a security code through an app, text message or email when logging into a website and stops people accessing your information. It's a pain in the backside but unfortunately that's just how it is.
  • NorfolkBroadNorfolkBroad Forumite
    241 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    Forumite
    I checked my email and it came up with me being at risk from being a member of two sites/forums I have never heard of and certainly haven't joined so not sure how accurate it is.
  • mjm3346mjm3346 Forumite
    45.7K Posts
    Forumite
    I checked my email and it came up with me being at risk from being a member of two sites/forums I have never heard of and certainly haven't joined so not sure how accurate it is.

Generally means your e-mail has been used on the sites, doesn't have to be you that used them.

I have several e-mail addresses on the big list, but bizarrely one I set up specifically to use on "spammy sites" is not there (although the sites generate enough rubbish themselves anyway)
  • BlueyezBlueyez Forumite
    3K Posts
    do you just type your email address in?
    2018 wins-12wins
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum