Buyer is calming jewellery is fake

Options

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,719 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I can understand the carat of diamonds being put on a substantial or expensive piece but not for a silver (even platinum overlaid) item.
    I also wouldn't have expected a diamond certificate for an item of that value.

I didn't realise coloured diamonds even had a colour scale.
    'M' in the normal colour scales would be yellowish.

I suspect the buyer is saying the diamonds are aquamarine or topaz.

So what is your next step?
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,100 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If the buyer is not willing to get a statement from the jewellers, I'd ask then for the name and address of this 'independent' shop they went to and phone them.

Unless this shop is fictional...
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    There is no such thing as a diamond hallmark. A certified diamond MAY be inscribed with the certificate number but often not.

Most modern jewellery is not inscribed in the manner you describe, it would be pointless since it's easy to swap a different stone into the setting.

In any case the fact that they propose to dispute the payment and keep the item clearly shows that they're scammers, there's not much more to be said. If they are successful in reversing the payment and refuse to return the item then report the theft to the police accordingly.
  • Bath_cube
    Options
    I got home less than an hour ago and I have got a email from the buyer. They are saying they are thinking of police involvement because it's not as stared in the ad. Buyer is now telling me the jewellers told them the stones are blue topaz or aquamarine. I asked for the phone number to this store only for the buyer to say no I'm not having the number or store details. I contacted the lesley Davies store it originally came from. I gave them the item code which they says shows up on their system as diamond set jewellery but that particular piece of jewellery was discontinued nine years ago. They did say not all of their diamond set jewellery has a mark stating the diamond points in a piece but that the receipt would state dia or precious stone which it does. Buyer also says this so called independent store tested the piece by waving a diamond test wand over it and it came back negative for diamond.
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Call their bluff and tell them to get the police involved. :rotfl:

Then tell them the jeweller bought the item from stands by the fact they are real blue diamonds.
  • Pollycat
    Options
    Bath_cube wrote: »
    I got home less than an hour ago and I have got a email from the buyer. They are saying they are thinking of police involvement because it's not as stared in the ad. Buyer is now telling me the jewellers told them the stones are blue [/B]topaz or aquamarine. I asked for the phone number to this store only for the buyer to say no I'm not having the number or store details. I contacted the lesley Davies store it originally came from. I gave them the item code which they says shows up on their system as diamond set jewellery but that particular piece of jewellery was discontinued nine years ago. They did say not all of their diamond set jewellery has a mark stating the diamond points in a piece but that the receipt would state dia or precious stone which it does. Buyer also says this so called independent store tested the piece by waving a diamond test wand over it and it came back negative for diamond.
    Exactly as I suspected - see my earlier post.
    I've bought a lot of silver jewellery from eBay and wouldn't have thought of disbelieving a seller if they'd sent me the original receipt.
    Nor would I have expected the item you describe to be marked with the diamond weight.

I think this buyer possibly set out to scam you.

So what is your next step?
  • Bath_cube
    Options
    I agree with pollycat. I do think the buyer planned on getting a freebie when he viewed my item. I got a call from the buyer just an hour ago. My word he is trying all sorts of ideas to get to keep the necklace and get his money back too. He tells me he has been to a local branch of lesley Davies this morning. They examined the necklace but wouldn't confirm or deny if the stones are diamonds. He says they told him to contact the store named on the receipt which is where it was originally purchased from. When I spoke to him he says he called that particular store and he has been asked to go down to see the manager. Because he lives in Scotland and the store is in Suffolk he wants me to pay his travel costs. When I refused he said I have obviously given him the wrong receipt or tried to make out the necklace was a high value item when it isn't. He must be unemployed or have a lot of time on his hands because he has spent days looking for a cop out to getting what he wants.
  • Pollycat
    Options
    So what's the situation now?
    Is he going to raise a dispute through PayPal?
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Bath_cube wrote: »
    I agree with pollycat. I do think the buyer planned on getting a freebie when he viewed my item. I got a call from the buyer just an hour ago. My word he is trying all sorts of ideas to get to keep the necklace and get his money back too. He tells me he has been to a local branch of lesley Davies this morning. They examined the necklace but wouldn't confirm or deny if the stones are diamonds. He says they told him to contact the store named on the receipt which is where it was originally purchased from. When I spoke to him he says he called that particular store and he has been asked to go down to see the manager. Because he lives in Scotland and the store is in Suffolk he wants me to pay his travel costs. When I refused he said I have obviously given him the wrong receipt or tried to make out the necklace was a high value item when it isn't. He must be unemployed or have a lot of time on his hands because he has spent days looking for a cop out to getting what he wants.

PMSL at this. Stand your ground tell the idiot to return the necklace in the condition it was sent if he wants a refund. Or keep the necklace and no refund.
  • Bath_cube
    Options
    Last week paypal told me as the buyer received the original proof of purchase it is up to him to contact the store. A colleague also mentioned today that since the buyer has both item and receipt it's no longer my problem and he should ask lesley Davies for a refund if the stones are not diamonds, because if they are (which they couldn't be) lesley Davies are in breach of contract and he is now the owner of the item. When I sold the item to him and provided proof of purchase.cost and the receipt states diamond it's lesley Davies not myself who need to rectify this matter.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure