WiFi set up w/o Ethernet socket

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Techie Stuff
15 replies 1.2K views
Le_KirkLe_Kirk Forumite
14.4K posts
10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Techie Stuff
Ever since I have been setting up internet on new PC's or laptops or introducing new routers to systems, I have read the instructions (I know) and it states to connect first with an Ethernet cable to the Network Adaptor (non- wireless), set up and then initialise Wi-Fi. This is also required when carrying out Broadband speed tests to remove the Wi-Fi from the equation.

Yesterday, I was trying to carry out broadband speed tests on my daughter's Acer Swift 3 and it does not have an Ethernet port!! It's so thin it barely has room for the USB port! Obviously I could not then prove the fault was with the broadband provider as I could not discount the possibility that the Wi-Fi was the issue. Before going through the laborious process of switching between all 13 channels, I wanted a benchmark against which to compare each channel.

What do folks do in these circumstances?

Replies

This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support