New suitcase is 6cm oversized!!!!!

Options
124»

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Ours are medium Tripp.
    The large looks pretty big, no idea how that compares to the one the OP has bought.

Big suitcases are usually heavier when empty which cuts into your hold allowance.
    There's the tendency to fill up the space which might cost you if you go over your weight allowance.
    And the case has to be lifted onto the scales at the airport and off at the other end.
    And possibly lifted into a car boot or onto a train.
    I think clothes in a full case travel better than in a half empty one.
    Lots of cons to buying a big case, regardless of how lovely you think it is.
  • Contessa
    Contessa Posts: 1,131 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 4 September 2017 at 9:54PM
    Options
    BA is quite generous with it's hold luggage allowance-23kg.

I've flown onwards with AA and they have the same weight but have a volume limit (sorry, can't remember what it is but I did measure my case to ensure it complied)

Last year I flew with Flybe on a domestic route. Just hand luggage. I thought the permitted size was much smaller than other airlines. My smallest case was a few centimeters over so I called to ask if this would be OK. Not surprised to get a noncommital answer-might be, might not be.

So, I bought a tiny and very cheap one from T***o. Actually less than the permitted size.

Once onboard I understood the size restriction as with that particular aircraft the overhead lockers were very small.

Much to my annoyance as I joined the boarding queue
    I noticed other passengers with much larger carry on baggage-and one of the largest even had had a large label stating something like "Flybe compliant"

Make of that what you will.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,604 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Contessa wrote: »

Make of that what you will.

What I make of it is that airlines and airports seem to make it up as they go along. Sometimes they enforce rules, sometimes they don't. It's not just suitcases it's any number of other things.
  • headpin
    headpin Posts: 780 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    What I make of it is that airlines and airports seem to make it up as they go along. Sometimes they enforce rules, sometimes they don't. It's not just suitcases it's any number of other things.

Often they will let you fly out and catch you on the return, knowing you ate pretty well snookered and will pay up.
  • headpin
    headpin Posts: 780 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Contessa wrote: »
    BA is quite generous with it's hold luggage allowance-23kg.

I've flown onwards with AA and they have the same weight but have a volume limit (sorry, can't remember what it is but I did measure my case to ensure it complied)

From BA site:

British Airways, OpenSkies and BA CityFlyer flights

A checked bag can be up to 90 x 75 x 43cm (35.5 x 29.5 x 16in), including any bits that stick out, like the handle, pockets and wheels.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/baggage-essentials/checked-baggage-allowances

AA website =

We calculate the size limits of your bag by adding the total outside dimensions of each bag, length + width + height.

For all regions, your checked baggage allowance is:

Dimension: 62 in / 158 cm
    Weight: 50 lbs / 23 kgs
    For First / Business Class and Brazil, weight is 70 lbs / 32 kgs

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/baggage/checked-baggage-policy.jsp

So as I have previously indicated most if not all airlines have a size limit on checked baggage. Just look on the websites.
  • konark
    konark Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    Options
    Are you sure your case is 164cm? that's the height of an average woman, it would be a monster.
  • stephb34
    stephb34 Posts: 2,064 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I checked someone's tickets yesterday and Air Transat had measurements for the hold luggage suitcase. Must admit its the first time i'd seen it.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lots of cons to buying a big case, regardless of how lovely you think it is.
    The main advantage of course if to pay for only one suitcase! Then when I was travelling with the kids when they were younger, it was a lot easier to be in control of one than having to monitor what they were doing with theirs (a friend of mine realised when she got to the hotel that her DS had left his suitcase in the airport when they were waiting for the taxi!).

This suitcase has been fantastic, big but very sturdy and easy to maneuver with 4 large wheels. However, now that the kids have grown up and it's rarely the four of us travelling together, I've gone for one of those extra light one, still big but not as big.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    FBaby wrote: »
    The main advantage of course if to pay for only one suitcase! Then when I was travelling with the kids when they were younger, it was a lot easier to be in control of one than having to monitor what they were doing with theirs (a friend of mine realised when she got to the hotel that her DS had left his suitcase in the airport when they were waiting for the taxi!).

This suitcase has been fantastic, big but very sturdy and easy to maneuver with 4 large wheels. However, now that the kids have grown up and it's rarely the four of us travelling together, I've gone for one of those extra light one, still big but not as big.

Most of the flights we take either have hold luggage included or are hand luggage only.

As we don't have kids 2 small cases are more convenient for us.
    And with 2 smaller cases I can pack our clothes half-and-half (a concept that appears to surprise most people) so if one goes AWOL we have enough stuff each to manage
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure