New suitcase is 6cm oversized!!!!!

Options
Hi guys, I recently brought a lovely new suitcase - one of the nice 4 wheel ones that are so easy to push along! I spent out about £80 on this new suitcase however I've just found out it is 6cm too long. The airline I'm flying on (Thomas cook) size guide is 158 cm in total, mine equals a 164cm. :(

However when speaking to the Thomas cook rep he said it would be an extra £85 for the extra 6cm, he sent me a link to the price guide but all it showed was for extra weight?while it might be just a tad oversized it definitely will not be overweight! I have 15kg total and at the moment it weighs about 9kg. I'm only a way for a week to Greece and the majority of clothes are bikinis and light summer clothes.

If my suitcase is under the weight limit do you think I will get away with the extra 6cm? My hand luggage is very small so maybe I could compromise with them Lol! My friend who works at Swiss port said I will more than likely get away with it. Just wondering if anyone has any experience of having an oversized suitcase measured or paid charges if they were in the weight limit?

Comments

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Perhaps Thomas Cook have their own process, but I've only ever seen bags being weighed at check-in, never measured. For checked-in luggage 6cm is hardly noticeable, not enough to be separated as oversize with normal airlines, so I wouldn't expect them to say anything. But the only time I flew with Thomas Cook was with hand luggage only so I'm not qualified to advise for sure.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • stephb34
    stephb34 Posts: 2,064 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi guys, I recently brought a lovely new suitcase - one of the nice 4 wheel ones that are so easy to push along! I spent out about £80 on this new suitcase however I've just found out it is 6cm too long. The airline I'm flying on (Thomas cook) size guide is 158 cm in total, mine equals a 164cm. :(

However when speaking to the Thomas cook rep he said it would be an extra £85 for the extra 6cm, he sent me a link to the price guide but all it showed was for extra weight?while it might be just a tad oversized it definitely will not be overweight! I have 15kg total and at the moment it weighs about 9kg. I'm only a way for a week to Greece and the majority of clothes are bikinis and light summer clothes.

If my suitcase is under the weight limit do you think I will get away with the extra 6cm? My hand luggage is very small so maybe I could compromise with them Lol! My friend who works at Swiss port said I will more than likely get away with it. Just wondering if anyone has any experience of having an oversized suitcase measured or paid charges if they were in the weight limit?

There isn't a size limit for hold luggage it goes on weight. So if you have 15kg and it doesn't exceed that then you are fine.
    If it was your hand luggage it would be a risk but Thomas Cook is only 6kg for hand luggage so am presuming your not on about that.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    From reading threads on the Air Travel board of TripAdvisor, some airlines do have maximum lengths for hold luggage but IIRC these are US airlines.

I've certainly never seen anything on TC website.
    Where did you find this information from?
  • Shimrod
    Shimrod Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    From reading threads on the Air Travel board of TripAdvisor, some airlines do have maximum lengths for hold luggage but IIRC these are US airlines.

I've certainly never seen anything on TC website.
    Where did you find this information from?

I've never come across it before either, but it's on the TC website here: https://www.thomascook.com/baggage/check-in-baggage/

I have no idea what the combined HxWxD of my suitcases are!
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    I had no idea that check in bags could be oversize

it does state the charge in the excess baggage charges all be it in dollars $110 if over 158cm and only payable at the airport it's in the link posted by shimrod

OP The only way you will know if you get away with it or not is by trying it .

Personally I wouldn't try it but I bet there is many that would and do
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Shimrod wrote: »
    I've never come across it before either, but it's on the TC website here: https://www.thomascook.com/baggage/check-in-baggage/

I have no idea what the combined HxWxD of my suitcases are!

I have no Idea about mine either (but I'm sure that it doesn't come anywhere near 158cm.

Odd that your link only shows charges for excess weight (same as the link the OP got from TC).

When flying with TC, I've only ever had my case weighed not measured.
    Would 6cm over 3 dimensions even be noticeable by check-in staff?
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Are you sure it is 164 cm, that is about 64 1/2 inches!
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 30 August 2017 at 9:05AM
    Options
    I've flown with Thomas Cook in the past (not in the last couple of years) and have never had hold luggage measured, only weighed.
    If your suitcase is obviously much bigger than the norm they might query it but otherwise I shouldn't think anyone would give it a second look if it's within the weight range.
    6cm over the 3 dimensions isn't likely to be noticeable, I wouldn't have thought. It's probably aimed at people who take suitcases the size of a crate.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ganga wrote: »
    Are you sure it is 164 cm, that is about 64 1/2 inches!

As the OP says, that is the total size, length + width + depth. 164 cm seems perfectly reasonable, for example 82 + 50 + 32.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I have no Idea about mine either (but I'm sure that it doesn't come anywhere near 158cm.

Odd that your link only shows charges for excess weight (same as the link the OP got from TC).

When flying with TC, I've only ever had my case weighed not measured.
    Would 6cm over 3 dimensions even be noticeable by check-in staff?

As I posted above,the link by shimrod does show excess size charges, under excess baggage charges

Would they notice? Probably not
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport